Geocoin & my dog: how does it work?

BouvyKory

Howdy all! I'm very interested in getting a trackable geocoin for my dog (who's also on my profile page) as she goes along with me on just about every hunt. I've perused through the forum here and got some ideas on where to get a coin for her but am not very clear on how she would become trackable. Is it an idea that anyone we come in contact with could record her ID number? Is it possible for her to "leave" her ID number at every cache we find (recording and logging is what I'm not clear on).

Pretty newbie type questions, for sure, so I'd appreciate any insight anyone might offer.

Thx much! :unsure:

Regards,

Kory

aka KoryFer

I made a "dog tag" for each of my dogs,also my avatar, using one of my personal coins for each of them (just needed to drill a hole in each of the coins and attach a hook, so they can be discovered. You could also purchase a travel bug from Groundspeak, buy a custom imprinted collar and or leash (available through most pet store mega-marts, or ask your vet.,) and have the tb number printed on your dog's collar and leash, or just attach the tb to their collar (a lot of the coins sellers have smaller coins or travelers available that would also work well.)

I would also suggest you let the cache owners know that you are just "dipping" the tb, and show you grabbed it back. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone will add a reply to my log.

A picture of my personal coin with hardware is attached.

IMG_NEW-10.jpg

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Good point. I'm pretty sure dipping* is allowed, it's pretty common at least.

*If you want to track which caches your dog has been to with you, you could "dip" his coin/travel bug into those caches by placing and then immediately retreiving the coin/TB when you log your find.

Our geodog Wyatt Earp is a TB :o

At the beginning, I dropped him and retrieved him in each cache he found with us. The only problem was that once you have found a few hundred caches, it took forever to log my TB in a cache. So, besides logging all the caches we found during a certain day, I had to wait a long period of time (more than a few minutes) for each cache to drop and retrieve the TB. That's when I stopped doing it and just let people make a Discover on him.

Happy caching with you geodog! :unsure:

A Travel Bug Dog Tag attached to your dog's collar will make her instantly trackable... after you activate the Dog Tag. Be sure to include a pic of your Travelling Pooch with the Dog Tag and special instructions on what to do should anyone encounter it on the trail, at a cache or event.

Personally I'm a TB when I wear a T-shirt printed with a Tracking Number and my car is also a TB... neither of which ever gets dropped in caches but dipping is an option. [8D]

Wow!! Thanks so much to y'all for your excellent responses and feedback! :unsure: Based on what everyone wrote, I think the best thing for me to do is get a trackable geocoin for Hussi and anyone we encounter is invited to track her. I could see where dropping her into every cache might eventually get a little daunting as you mentioned, Laval K-9.

drneal, I really like your coin. Is it an impression of the pic on your profile? Not sure if I can find any Bouvier-type geocoins but I'm wondering if I can get one custom-made, if that's what you did (unless that came from the contest you mentioned that I'll surely enter, thx!)

Thx for your kind words as well, TeamAmaroo! Hussi's pretty "technically inclined." :D I think I'll skip the "double dipping," as it might get a bit convoluted after awhile.

I thought about getting a t-shirt like that too, Droo, along with a TB sticker for the car. :o I drive a Forester which is quickly turning into a "cache buggy." I came across a few dog TB's for some ideas so will surely add her pic so she's recognizable.

Thx again, everyone! :D

Howdy all! I'm very interested in getting a trackable geocoin for my dog (who's also on my profile page) as she goes along with me on just about every hunt. I've perused through the forum here and got some ideas on where to get a coin for her but am not very clear on how she would become trackable. Is it an idea that anyone we come in contact with could record her ID number? Is it possible for her to "leave" her ID number at every cache we find (recording and logging is what I'm not clear on).

Pretty newbie type questions, for sure, so I'd appreciate any insight anyone might offer.

Thx much! :unsure:

Regards,

Kory

aka KoryFer

When you say..."for her to "leave" her ID number at every cache we find ", if you mean to log each time online that you "Dropped" and then "Retreived" the trackable, then YES, but if you mean to "Write" the tracking number in the logbook, then NO, you shouldn't leave the tracking number in the Cache. One cool thing might be to make a sigitem for the dog to leave that's seperate from wherever you leave.

When you say..."for her to "leave" her ID number at every cache we find ", if you mean to log each time online that you "Dropped" and then "Retreived" the trackable, then YES, but if you mean to "Write" the tracking number in the logbook, then NO, you shouldn't leave the tracking number in the Cache. One cool thing might be to make a sigitem for the dog to leave that's seperate from wherever you leave.

Thx much, Robert! Yup, I'm just going to get her a sigitem and invite other cachers to track her that way. Sounds like the easiest thing to do. :unsure:

Cool and fun topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

I too am a dog lover and have three terriers. As well, my wife and I do Fox Terrier Rescue. I have been giving some thought to non-tradisional trackables. Around here trackable walking sticks/staffs have been seen at Geocaching events. They just attached a TB tag to the staff and burn the tracking numbers into the staff for discovery. I have several GeoGems that I'm considering placing in staffs so others might discover them.

As for your, or my dogs, I like the idea of using a TB's tracking numbers on a collar or finding a geocoin that matched the dog's breed or name or temprement. Heck, even a favorite toy depicted on a coin might work if there are such things.

Cool and fun topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

I too am a dog lover and have three terriers. As well, my wife and I do Fox Terrier Rescue. I have been giving some thought to non-tradisional trackables. Around here trackable walking sticks/staffs have been seen at Geocaching events. They just attached a TB tag to the staff and burn the tracking numbers into the staff for discovery. I have several GeoGems that I'm considering placing in staffs so others might discover them.

As for your, or my dogs, I like the idea of using a TB's tracking numbers on a collar or finding a geocoin that matched the dog's breed or name or temprement. Heck, even a favorite toy depicted on a coin might work if there are such things.

Great profile, BBI Dragon! Lots of great insights in there. Your rescue terriers might have a lot of fun with caching, especially in preparing them for new families! :yikes:

I like the idea of a non-traditional trackable on Hussi (my dog), however, from what I've read and learned, the ink on a TB's dogtag might wear off under heavy use. She's constantly darting in and out of brush so I'm pretty sure the ink would rub off eventually. I think I'll probably see if there are any GeoDog coins around and pick one up for her. Been doing some research over the last few days and haven't found any yet.

My dog Ginger had a travel bug tag attached to her collar so we could keep track of caches she visited and people we met. Here is a link to her page:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=209517

I also made her a t-shirt to match:

http://www.chicagocanine.com/dogtemp/teegeo.jpg

My new dog is getting a geocoin and I'm going to do the same. This helps me to keep track of which caches we visited together which is helpful because I want to get her a geocaching merit badge from Dog Scouts of America.

Hank The Hound is now trackable.  he has been caching with me the last year or so and has already been to many of the caches that I have visited, but we can now track him.  Please if you see Hank out and about with me, show him a little attention.  He is very friendly.  Here is a link to his page:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=8784269

His goal is to travel and meet as many cachers as he can.

9610D25E-5399-43AE-9B7C-04CD0EE03A2E.jpeg

16B15B0D-345E-4835-BF03-D61B4CCF7831.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1