Geocaching and Corn Maze?

redsquirrell

I am very new to geocaching. I am from Minnesota and nice weather anyday now would be a plus! Anyway, I run a 12 acre corn maze and I am considering playing a GPS came within it as an option for all those geocachers out there. What I would like to do is give the first coordinates to customers that would like to play and have them go to that cache for the next coordinates and so on. My biggest question is will people just cut right thru my field or will they play by the rules (STAY on the paths!) and see the corn as an obstacle???? The game will not work OR be a challange in a 12 acre field if they just head straight for it. (AND I can't let them run down the corn or I will not have a maze for the muggles to enjoy) Would love some feedback!!! :laughing:

I am very new to geocaching. I am from Minnesota and nice weather anyday now would be a plus! Anyway, I run a 12 acre corn maze and I am considering playing a GPS came within it as an option for all those geocachers out there. What I would like to do is give the first coordinates to customers that would like to play and have them go to that cache for the next coordinates and so on. My biggest question is will people just cut right thru my field or will they play by the rules (STAY on the paths!) and see the corn as an obstacle???? The game will not work OR be a challange in a 12 acre field if they just head straight for it. (AND I can't let them run down the corn or I will not have a maze for the muggles to enjoy) Would love some feedback!!! :laughing:

I would think that as long as you state that all rules of the corn maze must be adhered to, which includes that you must stay in the paths, then people should do that. I'm guess you must also be a paid guest to the corn maze to enter. Will that go against Geocaching.com rules? We have a very popular corn maze nearby and I'd love to have a caching option there. I try to visit there every year.

I would think that as long as you state that all rules of the corn maze must be adhered to, which includes that you must stay in the paths, then people should do that. I'm guess you must also be a paid guest to the corn maze to enter. Will that go against Geocaching.com rules? We have a very popular corn maze nearby and I'd love to have a caching option there. I try to visit there every year.

I would not be listing it on geocaching.com, I would be just giving the option to guests that are coming anyway. So many tell me that they have their GPSrs with them, why not give them a special game they can play if they would like to? Maybe a special prize for completing it. I just wonder if I'm getting into something that I shouldn't do and would ruin my maze. The design is very detailed and amazing! Thanks for the feedback!

Well, if you are not listing it here, then I wonder why you would ask if your maze would be ruined by cachers :-) But anyway... I guess the visitors coming there who'd like the extra challenge will be nice visitors.

If it were a geocache, I guess a very big percentage of geocaching people would be very nice visitors. But there might be a few who'd do anything to get that point added to their total with as little fuzz as possible. Take away the point (by not listing it) and you'll make sure the cache hooligans stay away from your maze :-)

Redsquirrel, I am going to disagree with most here and say that you indeed should be concerned about cachers ruining your maze.

I have been to several caches that have broken, bent tree limbs or pulled up vegetation and the vast majority have geo-paths where hunters have not stayed on designated paths to a cache.

The biggest problem is that even though you may put on the cache page to only hunt at designated times or to stay on paths, since many people do not read the page before going (they simply download the coordinates) they never see your instructions.

You may wish to advertize the cache on any media outlets you use, so those who know caching can bring a GPSr with them and that way, the rules are available for them as well as your general maze users.

redsquirrell, what do you have set up to keep your regular guests on the paths and why do you think that won't work if you put a GPSr in someones hand?

The paths are simply tilled 4 feet wide. The corn is cross planted (planted in two directions) to make it thick and harder to see thru to the other paths. (there are over 4 miles of paths) I am just asking if people will see the arrow on their GPS and head straight for it or play by the rules. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.severscornmaze.com/

I just thought I would post that I took my family to Sever's Corn Maze this fall. It was my first time, so it was kind of interesting to get a map and follow my sons around locating points inside the maze. I brought my Garminfone with and it was interesting to look at the track on the map. It sort of reminded me of geocaching!

I am just curious, has anybody here visited any corn mazes this fall and, if so, did you bring along your GPS?

Blatant rule breakers are few and far between. Yes limbs get broken and new geotrails do form with some caches, but that is not always the case. I think since these people are paying to get in they will abide by your rules. Most everyone who has ever been to a corn maze knows to keep on the trail. I also agree that by not listing it on Groundspeak you'll be less likely to have any issues with trailblazers. I don't foresee geocachers causing more trouble than muggles either way.

The corn maze I visited this year had 12 waypoints for card punching and incorporated a Clue style game into this. This not only made you complete the maze, but also had you figure out a bit more so you could find the 12 waypoints. I just wish I had grabbed my GPS to turn on breadcrumbs and see my path.

http://www.severscornmaze.com/

I just thought I would post that I took my family to Sever's Corn Maze this fall. It was my first time, so it was kind of interesting to get a map and follow my sons around locating points inside the maze. I brought my Garminfone with and it was interesting to look at the track on the map. It sort of reminded me of geocaching!

I am just curious, has anybody here visited any corn mazes this fall and, if so, did you bring along your GPS?

We visited the Heartland Country Corn Maze in South Dakota during a recent caching trip to the upper midwest. It was our first time visiting a corn maze and we loved it.

We didn't bring our GPSr. Keeping our bearings visually and reading the map were different and welcome skills. This corn maze had marked waypoints that included answers to questions about the maze (which was a dinosaur this year) and also had a hidden treasure not marked on the map. We were motivated to find the hidden treasure (and enjoyed the ice cream sandwich reward!). To the OP, if you include the "hidden treasure" as part of your corn maze, there's no incentive for people to go off the trails heading straight for a set of coordinates.