etrex Venture HC crashing on start up

Nikon-ing

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? It shut off after adding a waypoint out in the field. Couldn't get it started again. Brought it home, hooked up to the pc, it doesn't get past the start up screen then shuts off again. I can't clear the memory, check for updates, etc if it doesn't stay on!

Bought it brand new from Amazon last September. Thanks for any help you can give.

Ok, did that. Hold upper right button & joystick 'enter' in and press the power button. The screen came up asking if I was sure I wanted to delete all info, I said yes.......it crashed again. Now when I power up, my personalized greeting is gone (as expected) but it still crashes and shuts down before I can do anything further.

Thanks for that help. I had hopes, but....

Any other thoughts? or do I have to send it to Garmin?

I had the exact same experience with my eTrex Venture HC. I called Garmin. The woman told me there was a known problem with the screens on some units produced. She checked the serial number and said "yes, this is less than six months old, it was manufactured last summer, so it's still under warranty." I was fortunate to have the unit repaired at no cost to me, apart from the postage to Garmin. The customer service was great - the unit was actually replaced and shipped to me within 10 days of sending it in.

What if the unit had been sitting on Amazon's shelves for longer than six months? I purchased it in September and the problems started in December, so it was a 'new' unit to me... Garmin told me the cost would be mine to bear if the unit was more than six months old, regardless of when I purchased it.

Last week while I was out caching the same thing happened again - the display disappeared off the screen. When I powered on, the Garmin logo would come on, then the unit powered off again. I changed batteries and the unit appears to be working normally again. I will still call Garmin tomorrow and at least log the problem with them, just to be on the safe side.

I think you should call Garmin, too.

Edited by luluonthego

My Vista HCx does the same thing, but only if there is a microSD card with map loaded onto it inserted. With just the base map it works fine, but as soon as I pop in an SD card, it crashes on boot up. If you have an SD card installed, remove it and see if it works okay. Also received mine from Amazon in December. It's going back to Garmin as soon as I have a chance to call them -- their online/email support is worthless.

Update

We called Garmin on Monday the 23rd and were very pleased with their phone support. They had us try different things with pressing multiple buttons in while hooked up to the pc but nothing worked, so we shipped it out to Kansas that same day. Just received the brand new replacement!! I have no reason to think this new one will give us any trouble but if it does, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your help...and for anyone else having this trouble, CALL GARMIN! :huh:

You guys are not alone. I got my unit directly from Garmin in January, recently used it flawlessly on a weeklong road trip, and then encountered the same problem the day after I got back. Due to the problem, I have eight days of track logs that I can't download (darn!). I spent a week going back and forth with Garmin through email, then they gave me an RMA. I'm sending mine in tomorrow.

You guys are not alone. I got my unit directly from Garmin in January, recently used it flawlessly on a weeklong road trip, and then encountered the same problem the day after I got back. Due to the problem, I have eight days of track logs that I can't download (darn!). I spent a week going back and forth with Garmin through email, then they gave me an RMA. I'm sending mine in tomorrow.

I got my/a unit back from Garmin today. All they did was excahnge it for a "newly overhauled" unit (according to the label on the bubble wrap). The unit seems to be working fine after updating the software from 2.90 to 3.10. Interestingly, the overhauled unit still had the last owner's maps installed (a bunch of locations in Oregon). We'll see how it goes this time.

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties redroast. 3 months later and still no service?!! That's shameful!

Our replacement is still doing fine. We've had zero problems with this unit.

Thanks for the sympathies. If this doesn't get fixed soon, there is going to be a major rant on here!