60csx or pn-40

BAPMAN CREW

HondaH8er thanks for posting the screen shots. It was also refreshing for a Delorome user to admit, "that the Garmin Topos are much nicer than the DeLorme topos."! I understand your point, "but I like having all the different options of what you can DL, and then layering them to more and more detail showing as you zoom farther and farther in." The USGS 24K is clearly inferior to the Garmin map (that I made) and while there are multiple additional views available, none of them really provide any info that you cannot get from the USGS map. IMHO, a good quality map is a better option than multiple inferior views. The only reason I coulod think of where I would like to have aerial photography was if you needed to see where there was and was not vegetation. But I have never ran into a circumstance where I needed that info so I have never pursued the options to put aerial photography on my CO.

Your screen shots also demonstrate one thing that used to really irritate my about the 60CSX. The thing that used to bother me the most was screen size and the data fields were not transparent so they cut down the amount of the map displayed. I also hated how when you scrolled screen space would be taken up by the coordinates. One of the nice things about the CO is all of the fields are transparent so you can see the map under them. When you scroll somewhere on the map, it does not show the coordinates on the screen. If you need that you can click and it will give you the info. You should push Delorome to make these changes to help compensate for the small screen. Here are some screen shots to see what I mean. This one is the automotive navigation screen (it shows the road in perceptive like the nuvi) but it does not look as good as normal since I am sitting in my home.

308.jpg

This one I took yesterday when I was geocaching. This is the default geocaching screen-you have five options. This also shows off the quality of the Garmin 24K maps (I made the map):

9856.jpg

Years ago I had a vista and it had the same controller as the etrex. I agree I did not like it. The rock n roller is so radically different than anything out there when you are used to other technology, it take a while to get used to. But once you get used to it, it is very easy to use. Other than a touch screen, it is the easiest system I have ever used on a GPS.

briansnat, yes the 60CSX has sirf technology, but when you compare it to the CO/OR, it is yesterday's technology. I got my CO when there were still major problems with it. Even with these majors problems I felt it was light years ahead of the 60CSX. Other than wanting exit services, after I got my CO I had absolutely no desire to use my 60CSX. I took it as a back up the first few times i went caching with the CO, but I never needed it or used it.

Rockin Roddy you continue to demonstrate you have no credibility.

I really wasn't trying to start a fight. The new PN-40 should be here on Tuesday.

I used to ride Honda but now its Harley. I ride with People who ride Harley, Honda, Triump and anything else, as long as they CAN ride or atleast WILLING to learn. Each bike has it own advatages and disadvantages. It's all about the fit to the each rider. My brother has a Hoda Goldwing while I'm on a Harley Road Glide. He say's My bike is too loud and I say Loud pipes save lives. He says hes fast enough to keep outta trouble. We just laugh at each other. Truth is we like each others bikes. But he will still buy Honda and I'll buy Harley. And on the rare occation we get to ride together, we are just loving the ride.

For us the only thing we will be doing with the new unit is GC. As far as driving goes the TomTom is in the car and we like that for driving. Hope your all friends when we meet at a cache.

HondaH8er thanks for posting the screen shots. It was also refreshing for a Delorome user to admit, "that the Garmin Topos are much nicer than the DeLorme topos."! I understand your point, "but I like having all the different options of what you can DL, and then layering them to more and more detail showing as you zoom farther and farther in." The USGS 24K is clearly inferior to the Garmin map (that I made) and while there are multiple additional views available, none of them really provide any info that you cannot get from the USGS map. IMHO, a good quality map is a better option than multiple inferior views. The only reason I coulod think of where I would like to have aerial photography was if you needed to see where there was and was not vegetation. But I have never ran into a circumstance where I needed that info so I have never pursued the options to put aerial photography on my CO.

Your screen shots also demonstrate one thing that used to really irritate my about the 60CSX. The thing that used to bother me the most was screen size and the data fields were not transparent so they cut down the amount of the map displayed. I also hated how when you scrolled screen space would be taken up by the coordinates. One of the nice things about the CO is all of the fields are transparent so you can see the map under them. When you scroll somewhere on the map, it does not show the coordinates on the screen. If you need that you can click and it will give you the info. You should push Delorome to make these changes to help compensate for the small screen. Here are some screen shots to see what I mean. This one is the automotive navigation screen (it shows the road in perceptive like the nuvi) but it does not look as good as normal since I am sitting in my home.

308.jpg

This one I took yesterday when I was geocaching. This is the default geocaching screen-you have five options. This also shows off the quality of the Garmin 24K maps (I made the map):

9856.jpg

Years ago I had a vista and it had the same controller as the etrex. I agree I did not like it. The rock n roller is so radically different than anything out there when you are used to other technology, it take a while to get used to. But once you get used to it, it is very easy to use. Other than a touch screen, it is the easiest system I have ever used on a GPS.

briansnat, yes the 60CSX has sirf technology, but when you compare it to the CO/OR, it is yesterday's technology. I got my CO when there were still major problems with it. Even with these majors problems I felt it was light years ahead of the 60CSX. Other than wanting exit services, after I got my CO I had absolutely no desire to use my 60CSX. I took it as a back up the first few times i went caching with the CO, but I never needed it or used it.

Rockin Roddy you continue to demonstrate you have no credibility.

I am sorry, I told you from the start that I was computer and tech ignorant (never said I wasn't...but boy can I work that PN-40 :unsure: ), so whatever raster and vector and such garblings, they mean nothing to me. But the maps I use, the TOPO I use is far better looking to me than what you showed...MHO, but I'm also the one who's buying...right?? As well, I am not nearly as "needy" of my GPS as you seem to be, you make it sound like you're life depends on those maps. It also sounds like you are in need of very professional-like maps, something I would bet most cachers really don't need all that much. Having climbed a few mountains and enjoyed some extensive explorations and travels, I am glad to say the lack of those Garmin maps you talk about hasn't affected my life. In fact, I wasn't even aware these "free" maps were around, nor did I care!

I am guessing the majority of cachers are much like myself, someone who knows a limited amount about tech, needs that tech only as far as for recreation and KNOWS what they like and don't like. Amazingly, a good number of people have emailed me for further info on the DeLorme PN-40, some even buying the unit...I have no regrets buying mine nor recommending it to others!

I'm also guessing that the majority of us are ones who, while may be able to buy whatever we want (maybe meaning saving and skrimping a bit), what we want doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive, but the one which best suits OUR needs! My needs are simple, get me to the cache. My desires are a bit more, give me those AWESOME aerials, give me that ease of paperless and let me load directly from GS if I want to! Did I know that the PN-40 was "lacking" a bit on some of the paperless and other issues?? YEP! Did I also read the releases, the reviews and see all the help coming from the high-ups and DeLorme staff?? You bet! And, by forming an opinion by researching other units, I decided I would try the DeLorme...couldn't be happier! Oh, and the routing....NICE!! It has led me astray a few times, but since I used to merely drive around until finding the right road (sometimes spending good time and gas on trial and error), I am MORE than happy with the routing of the PN-40 and would trust it to lead me wherever I needed! However, if I needed a routing unit I could trust my life to, it wouldn't be a handheld device regardless! In other words, the routing in the box was another BIG plus to me and I'm sure to many others!

Now, you can continue to look down on me as you please, no sweat off my back, my friend! As I have said OVER and OVER, it's not what YOU like, it's what the BUYER likes! Without fail, every single time a thread of this nature comes up, you come in and badmouth the PN-40. I on the other hand show what you refuse to show, the PN-40 IS a great and well-received unit! You'll say I'm pro-Delorme...well, it IS the unit I own, but I also own a Garmin or two, a Maggie and the PN-40. I, however have not bashed Garmin as you like to do. I only point out good and bad, give links and ask the buyer to form their own opinion! Truly, the descriptions speak for themselves, I just point them to the descriptions and give some of my opinions (and counter whatever bashing someone might throw at the DeLorme).

So, blast away!! :) I am through here as I see the OP has made his decision! I'll see you tonight Bapman!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I used to ride Honda but now its Harley. I ride with People who ride Harley, Honda, Triump and anything else, as long as they CAN ride or atleast WILLING to learn. Each bike has it own advatages and disadvantages. It's all about the fit to the each rider. My brother has a Hoda Goldwing while I'm on a Harley Road Glide. He say's My bike is too loud and I say Loud pipes save lives. He says hes fast enough to keep outta trouble. We just laugh at each other. Truth is we like each others bikes. But he will still buy Honda and I'll buy Harley. And on the rare occation we get to ride together, we are just loving the ride.

I'm guessing the motorcycle thing has to do with my screenname. I used that because I couldn't think of anything else that wasn't alreadt taken, and it's the name I use on my Subaru forums. Actually, I have an 84 Honda Magna V65, and I love that bike! Originally, I was looking at getting an 883 Sportster, but decided to get something older and watercooled that I wouldn't have to finance. Great bike, though, and a BEAST!

Right rockin roddy, I express my opinion on the matter and you immediately insult we with, "Right. While myotis is a good and loyal Garmin customer, he lacks in the ability to be unbiased." It seems to me the problem is you cannot accept someone disagreeing with you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before you go insulting others who understand.

By the way one difference in vector and reaster is I was able to download and install a whole state vector map in 15 minutes. How long have you been downloading the raster maps?

One more thing. I decided I can't stand that darn Topo 7.

When I try to load the precut maps directly to the SD card, it freezes more often than not halfway before completing. It just sits there and won't cancel and won't load. I can't even get the CD to eject and I need to re-boot my PC. It took me all night to load the pre-cut maps last week.

And I just received my replacement unit and thought I could just pop in the SD card with all the maps on it. Nooooo, the maps aren't registered with that unit. I have to delete them and go through all this again.

It's been 2 hours and I've had to reboot my machine twice and I'm still not halfway through my loading of eastern maps.

Edited by briansnat

When I try to load the precut maps directly to the SD card, it freezes more often than not halfway before completing. It just sits there and won't cancel and won't load. I can't even get the CD to eject and I need to re-boot my PC. It took me all night to load the pre-cut maps last week.

And I just received my replacement unit and thought I could just pop in the SD card with all the maps on it. Nooooo, the maps aren't registered with that unit. I have to delete them and go through all this again.

It's been 2 hours and I've had to reboot my machine twice and I'm still not halfway through my loading of eastern maps.

That is not normal behavior for the program. The precuts should load right in w/o and trouble.

Now if you cut maps they will be registered to your GPS. However if you have a new GPS and call up Topo 7, it should recognize the new GPS and then register any maps you have already cut w/o having to cut them again.

Check over on the DeLorme boards - you'll get good support and answers over there. Over here - you get what you get - its potluck.

That is not normal behavior for the program. The precuts should load right in w/o and trouble.

Now if you cut maps they will be registered to your GPS. However if you have a new GPS and call up Topo 7, it should recognize the new GPS and then register any maps you have already cut w/o having to cut them again.

Check over on the DeLorme boards - you'll get good support and answers over there. Over here - you get what you get - its potluck.

Or do as the Macintosh folks do, open the "maps" folder on the DVD (using Windows Explorer(Finder))and drag

the two files for the portions of the states of interest into a folder named "maps" on the SDHC card using a card

reader or into the SDHC using the device as a card reader. You can also have the user portion of the onboard memory

show on the desktop and create a "maps" folder there too. 'Drag 'n' Drop' or 'Copy Paste', your choice.

You're basically doing what the installer does "longhand".

Norm

Edited by RRLover

One more thing. I decided I can't stand that darn Topo 7. ..........

When I try to load the precut maps directly to the SD card,........

The precuts are loaded directly to the SD Card from the bundled 3 Region DVDs, external to Topo 7. Topo 7 does not even need to be installed on your PC for that.

Apparently, there is some other issue involved.

Yes, when a new PN-XX is introduced to the Topo 7 application, existing photo imagery and maps that were "cut" in Topo 7 have to be processed by Topo 7 prior to transferring to the new PN-XX. I had to do this with maps cut for my PN-20 when I started with my -40. Took just several minutes for 4GB of maps and photo imagery. Successive transfer was not much more.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

New kid on the block???? I bought my first Delorome GPS in April 1997!

In 1997, wasn't that a mouse GPS for the laptop? Be real and keep it in context.

I am in fact speaking of the handheld market which you took out of context. Garmin has been in the handheld business far longer and has a developed a large customer base putting in sweat equity for the free downloads you keep playing on. Years of sweat equity when compared to the relatvely new handheld market for DeLorme. What DeLorme has to offer isn't nearly as bad as you like to make it for a second generation model.

-=-=edited to fix the quote=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

sounds like you might be having some other problem; maybe hardware or your OS? Maybe time to defrag or reload windows?

I just got my PN-40 last thursday and was able to load aerial imagery, create maps, and waypoints, and download them to my PN-40 without a hitch. Still have more to learn about Topo 7, but wow what an amazing program! I love it.

You might try loading directly to the SD card through a reader, I think it's even faster like that.

New kid on the block???? I bought my first Delorome GPS in April 1997!

In 1997, wasn't that a mouse GPS for the laptop? Be real and keep it in context.

I am in fact speaking of the handheld market which you took out of context. Garmin has been in the handheld business far longer and has a developed a large customer base putting in sweat equity for the free downloads you keep playing on. Years of sweat equity when compared to the relatvely new handheld market for DeLorme. What DeLorme has to offer isn't nearly as bad as you like to make it for a second generation model.

-=-=edited to fix the quote=-=-

Yes you are right. It was this big mouse like thing. I saw an ad for it and I thought that was the neatest thing I had ever seen. So I bought a laptop, Delorome GPS and map n go (predistor to street atlas) and have been hooked ever since. Latter on in 1997 I bought a Garmin GPS 12 because it had all these neat screens on it-it was like Star Trek!

But the point is Delorome has been making GPSes for over a decade. But they never got into the handheld market until recently. So Garmin has over a decade on Delorome on making quality handheld GPSs because Delorome chose not to make handhelds (which I think was a blunder).

I am not saying the Delorome is a bad GPS for its price (however, the revalations on what you have to do to get maps is making me rethink this-I was under the impression you could download a state with a few mouse clicks and fit several states worth of data on the GPS), I am saying Garmin 24K topo maps are vastly superior to Delorome's 24K topos and the CO/OR is superior to the PN40. I also think if Delorome wants to be taken seriously they should have at least one handheld with a big screen. I also think if Delorome was smart they would recognize the vast inferiority of the 24K Raster maps they have compared to the 24K maps Garmin users are producing and giving away. If Garmin users can produce this quality of maps, don't you think Delorome with all its resources should be doing what Garmin is: working on covering the country in 24K vector topo maps? All the data you need to make these maps is freely available on USGS servers. I would think Delorome users would be complaining to Delorome about the lack of 24K vector maps instead of singing the praises of the 24K raster maps.

My issue with the Delorome beta testers on this forum is what I see generally appears to me to be one sided with no mention of drawbacks. I see time and again arguments that the Delorome 24K topos are the best there are and that simply is not the case. Until someone brought up how hard it is to download the maps and all the space it takes. As fellow geocachers i think we need to tell each other the whole truth. Before Garmin fixed the numerous major problmes with the CO, I blasted them countless times on the forums. But even with the major problems, I still thought it was the best thing out there. But when I told people this I also told them what the problems with it was.

Garmin's biggest problem is they tend to rush out thier harware. The problmes with the 60CSX were simular to issues with the PN40, but the condition the CO's firmware was in when it was released was inexcuesable.

Is anyone ever going to answe how you deal with archived, disabled and caches that had thier coordiantes changed once you get them on the PN40. Is there an easy way to deal with it? If not you should be pushing Delorome to fix it.

Actually I owuld like to see Delorome give Garmin some good copentition. But if they are going to do that, they are going to need a bigger screen and 24K vector maps.

Yes you are right. It was this big mouse like thing. I saw an ad for it and I thought that was the neatest thing I had ever seen. So I bought a laptop, Delorome GPS and map n go (predistor to street atlas) and have been hooked ever since. Latter on in 1997 I bought a Garmin GPS 12 because it had all these neat screens on it-it was like Star Trek!

What we have here is a failure to comunnicate. There were GPS receiver things that DeLorme had in the marketplace years ago and are still sold today. The things that plug into PCs, laptops and PDAs. These are not the PN-XX handhelds. I think that it is these items to which myotis is referring and I think that RR was speaking to the handhelds.

My issue with the Delorome beta testers on this forum is what I see generally appears to me to be one sided with no mention of drawbacks. I see time and again arguments that the Delorome 24K topos are the best there are and that simply is not the case. Until someone brought up how hard it is to download the maps and all the space it takes. As fellow geocachers i think we need to tell each other the whole truth. Before Garmin fixed the numerous major problmes with the CO, I blasted them countless times on the forums. But even with the major problems, I still thought it was the best thing out there. But when I told people this I also told them what the problems with it was.

I have and issue with this issue. So let me say this about that. I will only speak of my, direct hands-on experience. Now, I realize that this is not the US Supreme Court, but it is my choice not to enagage in hearsay.

So, if other users have had and report trouble with Attribute A of Topo 7 and I have not, is it immoral of me not to report such?

So, if Characteristic C of the PN-40 has given me no problems while others users required extensive forum help, is it immoral of me not to report such?

I guess that its just been my good fortune to not have had misfortunes with the DeLorme products. So, yes, I have had no remarkable, first hand, bad experiences with them to hide.

You might want to do a search on my posts and quote back my negative, disparaging remarks regarding the various Garmin models of which I've had no experience.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

When loading maps externally to an SD in an SD card holder, each map should transfer in a matter of minutes.

When transferring with the SD card installed in the PN-40, I'd expect about 1 hour per GB.

Well it's 9:28 and I'm still working on loading California and Utah. 8 reboots of the PC so far.

But the point is Delorome has been making GPSes for over a decade. But they never got into the handheld market until recently. So Garmin has over a decade on Delorome on making quality handheld GPSs because Delorome chose not to make handhelds (which I think was a blunder).

Agreed, but then again, they were focused on their core product... maps.

I am not saying the Delorome is a bad GPS for its price (however, the revalations on what you have to do to get maps is making me rethink this-I was under the impression you could download a state with a few mouse clicks and fit several states worth of data on the GPS), I am saying Garmin 24K topo maps are vastly superior to Delorome's 24K topos and the CO/OR is superior to the PN40. I also think if Delorome wants to be taken seriously they should have at least one handheld with a big screen. I also think if Delorome was smart they would recognize the vast inferiority of the 24K Raster maps they have compared to the 24K maps Garmin users are producing and giving away. If Garmin users can produce this quality of maps, don't you think Delorome with all its resources should be doing what Garmin is: working on covering the country in 24K vector topo maps? All the data you need to make these maps is freely available on USGS servers. I would think Delorome users would be complaining to Delorome about the lack of 24K vector maps instead of singing the praises of the 24K raster maps.

Well you heard the reason why the screen size stayed small when you postulated the need on the DeLorme site and it was valid to maintain a cost benefit ratio by using the same form factor as the PN-20. They didn't rule out the big screen on future releaases and frankly your call for a boycott then was a bit out of line that late in production tool up. Perceptually, you put a chip on your shoulder since then and came out with claws. Your tone has changed in this current post which makes it easier to discuss without getting on the defensive.

Now to get on about the 24k maps. Frankly, I prefer seeing the ones I can load on the PN-40 over the vectorized 24K you can load on your Garmin. Let's come to an agreement there will be disagreement on this and move forward.

Is anyone ever going to answe how you deal with archived, disabled and caches that had thier coordiantes changed once you get them on the PN40. Is there an easy way to deal with it? If not you should be pushing Delorome to fix it.

Actually I owuld like to see Delorome give Garmin some good copentition. But if they are going to do that, they are going to need a bigger screen and 24K vector maps.

Downloading current data via plug-in updates the info on the GPS or they can be manually changed. Archived or disabled caches are easily deleted via the menu system. I'm not seeing the problem. You'll probably need to expand how it's handled on the Garmin for comparison.

-=-=Worded the last paragraph badly so rewrote it. Apologies if it was in the middle of someone else's edit=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

Right rockin roddy, I express my opinion on the matter and you immediately insult we with, "Right. While myotis is a good and loyal Garmin customer, he lacks in the ability to be unbiased." It seems to me the problem is you cannot accept someone disagreeing with you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before you go insulting others who understand.

By the way one difference in vector and reaster is I was able to download and install a whole state vector map in 15 minutes. How long have you been downloading the raster maps?

Myotis, I am sorry if the truth bothers you! Maybe if it bothers you enough, you should do something to change it! That wasn't meant to be an insult any more than if I told you you were ignorant about the product you badmouth! It is a fact, you haven't and likely can't be unbiased, you seem bent on badmouthing the PN-40 regardless. Having an opinion is great, but you seemingly purposely mis-inform people. I think most people open these threads to find an answer, not be told the wrong info! Some of us are happy to help...

Have a good day, my friend!

Well it's 9:28 and I'm still working on loading California and Utah. 8 reboots of the PC so far.

Brian; saw your post in the Delorme forum but I though you might see this first.

CowboyPapa noted the difference in speed loading to a card reader vs. loading to SD card in the PN-40. If you are having to do the latter, I trust you are in Map Transfer mode (Data Exchange is like watching paint dry for map transfers).

If you are finding the precut transfer program flaky, you might have more stability (and faster transfer speed) using Windows Explorer to manually pull the files over from DVD to SD card.

TotemLake stated, "Downloading current data via plug-in updates the info on the GPS or they can be manually changed. Archived or disabled caches are easily deleted via the menu system. I'm not seeing the problem. You'll probably need to expand how it's handled on the Garmin for comparison."

If you have a couple hundreds caches on the PN40 how do you know one has been disabled or had the coordinates changed so you can deal with it?

For the CO/OR you can simply take the PQ directly from GC.com and drag and drop it to the GPS. It will then overwrite the previous PQ (if the file name is the same otherwise you need to manually delete it). When the GPS reboots, it will just load the caches in the current PQ so you get only caches you have not found that are active with changed coordinates. The problem with just using the PQ straight from gc.com is they only have the last 5 logs, no corrected coordinates or user notes. Using macros in GSAK deals with all of that resulting in GSAK replacing the PQ on the GPS with a new one with accumulated logs, corrected coord etc. Since it replaces the file on the GPS, it starts from scratch and every cache is up to date.

It sounds like the PN40 is loading a separate file for each cache. So what sounds like a problem is once they are on the GPS it would seem to be very difficult to easily identify and deal with these problems that regulalrly occur with being disabled, etc.. When I first started using GSAK to load my caches on my CO, I did not get the macros right and on multiple occasions I went to caches that were not active and 2 times I searched and searched at the wrong coordinates not realizing they had moved. One time I did not realize the cache description had changed and got a DNF as a result. I also discovered sometimes the hints changes. But adding Lock=$d_name;$d_Latitude;$d_Longitude;$d_LongDescription;$d_Hints to the macro I used fixed all of this.

To update the cache on the PN40, do you have to go to each cache page and download it again? Or is there a shortcut? If you download it again, will it accumulate logs or does it replace the previous 5 logs?

FYI, on the garmin when you use send to GPS, it will save a gpx file on your GPS. It works great but when you run a new PQ that has those caches in it, you need to delete the gpx file off the GPS. But its great for when a cache gets published right after you run your PQ. Another really nice thing about Garmin is if I want to go to a new area or adjust the location of where my PQs run from, I can open MapSource (Garmin's map program) and right click on the place I want to center the PQ on. Then I select Create a PQ and it opens a PQ with the coordiantes for that spot filled in. Pretty neat.

I have no idea what you are talking about here, "Well you heard the reason why the screen size stayed small when you postulated the need on the DeLorme site and it was valid to maintain a cost benefit ratio by using the same form factor as the PN-20." I have wondered if the reason was they would need a quadcore processor to handle displaying a bitmap on that big of a screen.

And can you tell me something specific about Delorome's 24K topos that are better than Garmin's 24K?

Brian; saw your post in the Delorme forum but I though you might see this first.

CowboyPapa noted the difference in speed loading to a card reader vs. loading to SD card in the PN-40. If you are having to do the latter, I trust you are in Map Transfer mode (Data Exchange is like watching paint dry for map transfers).

If you are finding the precut transfer program flaky, you might have more stability (and faster transfer speed) using Windows Explorer to manually pull the files over from DVD to SD card.

This was offline for a while, so I answered the speed issue qualitatively over on the DeLorme forums, Topo 7 specifically.

Right now, we have to load the caches one at a time and do this each time we need to update the caches....right now! An inconvenience, sure. The end of the world, NOPE! As has been stated several dozens of times or more, DeLorme is working on the fix to this. I believe most, if not every, release of a new unit meant refining and revising the software etc. I can't speak for the rest of us owners, but I am more than happy to do a bit of work now, knowing the end product will be AWESOME (even better than now???? :unsure:)!!

As has been stated before, DeLorme holds as many logs as the 15,000 character limit will allow, plust the hint at the bottom!

It's great to have a choice, means we all get to use what works best for us, means the companies compete, bringing somewhat reasonable prices to us.

I really wasn't trying to start a fight. The new PN-40 should be here on Tuesday.

You didn't start a fight :)

When you get your 40, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

GREAT meeting you two, always fun to meet cachers and chat! These two are on a nice little run and haven't even had a handheld to work with yet, CONGRATS!! I have a feeling you'll have a lot of fun learning the curves while caching. Knowing the basics means you can delve into the trickier stuff as you wish!!

Take it easy on the poor mail person, no tackling them in your rush to get your unit today!! :unsure: Have fun and CONGRATS on the purchase...wish I could have started out with such an advanced unit as you get to. But, as I was telling some last night, the purchase of the PN-40 really lit a new fire under KAboom and I, we are loving caching once again!!

If you can make the Lazy Hayes Days, we'd love having you! Also, the MWGB is a very nearby MEGA event, maybe you'll make that??

I was loading to the SD card. After nearly 8 hours I got my maps loaded. Now I get this message that says "Map not updated for use with this PN40. Open exchange in mapping software to activate Pn40 and re-send map:Exported Map"

I was loading to the SD card. After nearly 8 hours I got my maps loaded. Now I get this message that says "Map not updated for use with this PN40. Open exchange in mapping software to activate Pn40 and re-send map:Exported Map"

Delorme's copy-protection requires the insertion of the device's serial number in each detail map file the device tries to use. The message you received has nothing to do with the precuts, which have a universal key in them--they can be used with any PN device (and should be displaying in your replacement PN-40 now).

The error message most likely is stemming from a detail map file that you made in Topo7 for your first PN-40. You need to connect the new PN-40 in Data Exchange mode while Topo7 is open. Topo7 should see the new PN-40 and offer to register it with any maps you have cut and are still in the Mobile Maps folder. It will go through a process that takes several minutes (depends on how many custom maps you have in there). At the end of the process, you will need to re-load those maps for use with the new PN-40, and that message should go away (you need to delete or replace the older versions of the custom maps on SD card.)

I can't believe you're having so much trouble Brian, I hope it gets worked out soon! It's odd, I loaded all of Michigan in about 15 minutes or less (can't recall exactly how long, so I rounded up a bit). Now, loading the much more detailed aerials and such will take awhile, but...

I can't believe you're having so much trouble Brian, I hope it gets worked out soon! It's odd, I loaded all of Michigan in about 15 minutes or less (can't recall exactly how long, so I rounded up a bit). Now, loading the much more detailed aerials and such will take awhile, but...

Oddly enough I'm able to load my aerials and custom maps fairly quickly. I had a huge block of aerial maps that loaded in about 20 minutes. Now if only I can get them to work on my new unit.

Oddly enough I'm able to load my aerials and custom maps fairly quickly. I had a huge block of aerial maps that loaded in about 20 minutes. Now if only I can get them to work on my new unit.

I ran a test on cutting a 1GB mix of USGS 3DTQ and CDOQQ and found that after grid selection, it took 33 minutes to cut and save and then 2 minutes to transfer to SD card with card in a reader.

That's about 1 1/2 Happy Meals in RR time. ;)

I ran a test on cutting a 1GB mix of USGS 3DTQ and CDOQQ and found that after grid selection, it took 33 minutes to cut and save and then 2 minutes to transfer to SD card with card in a reader.

That's about 1 1/2 Happy Meals in RR time. ;)

I'm not having speed issues with custom maps. It's the precut maps that were so slow. I FINALLY got them loaded, now my GPS is telling me my custom maps aren't compatible with my new unit (a replacement for the one that was fried last week). Re-sent them to the unit and still says they are not usable with the new unit. Embra mentioned something about using Topo 7 to register the maps with the new unit, but I can't see anywhere to do that.

What gets me is that I've played with this dadgum unit for probably a total of close to 40 hours and it still ain't working the way I want it. Can't get my maps loaded, can't get the waypoints loaded the way I like them.

I'm ready to throw the POS in the river. The documentation is non existent. I heard that there was Topo 7 doc on the DeLorme website but they do a good job of hiding it.

Edited by briansnat

The documentation is non existent. I heard that there was Topo 7 doc on the DeLorme website but they do a good job of hiding it.

This?

http://www.delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=377

And?

http://www.delorme.com/support/downloads/TopoUSA/Topo7.pdf

With the tab Handheld Exchange open, connect the PN-40 and turn it on. Topo 7 should recognize it as previously unregistered device. It will register it and offer to process maps that were cut for the prior PN-40. This process is not re-cutting the existing maps; it should go quite quickly.

I'm not having speed issues with custom maps. It's the precut maps that were so slow. I FINALLY got them loaded, now my GPS is telling me my custom maps aren't compatible with my new unit (a replacement for the one that was fried last week). Re-sent them to the unit and still says they are not usable with the new unit. Embra mentioned something about using Topo 7 to register the maps with the new unit, but I can't see anywhere to do that.

What gets me is that I've played with this dadgum unit for probably a total of close to 40 hours and it still ain't working the way I want it. Can't get my maps loaded, can't get the waypoints loaded the way I like them.

I'm ready to throw the POS in the river. The documentation is non existent. I heard that there was Topo 7 doc on the DeLorme website but they do a good job of hiding it.

The offer to update existing maps is done automatically when Topo7 detects an unregistered PN device. There is no user option in a menu or tab to trigger the update. It's *supposed* to pop up with that first connection in Data Exchange mode (I can't remember, but maybe you need to go to the Handheld Export tab in T7 and open the Exchange dialog). If it didn't happen you have two options:

1. You can edit the registry to make Topo7 unaware of your replacement PN-40 again, so that the update process is triggered (instructions here)

2. If you don't have too many and/or too large custom maps, it might be easier to re-cut the maps (you can view each custom detail map in turn, showing the selection, so you don't have to re-define the areas to include in the cuts--just save over the old maps). If you go this route, be sure to cut a very small map to make sure it works on the replacement PN-40...I imagine that recutting all your custom maps and then discovering they still didn't work would be the last straw. The idea would be to ensure that your PN-40 is in fact registered with Topo7, which I'm not sure has happened yet).

Can we try to offer any advice on the waypoint situation? How do you want them to be set up?

If you have a couple hundreds caches on the PN40 how do you know one has been disabled or had the coordinates changed so you can deal with it?

There is no PQ that will update your info if the cache is archived. So this is an academic question and you know this.

It sounds like the PN40 is loading a separate file for each cache.

I don't know about that. The waypoints are in a collective format that is currently unseparable thus also only one can be saved and not several waypoint files.

To update the cache on the PN40, do you have to go to each cache page and download it again? Or is there a shortcut? If you download it again, will it accumulate logs or does it replace the previous 5 logs?

Currently, yes. The data is updated with whatever standard gc.com has stipulated. No shortcuts. I understand the cache register will allow direct gpx uploads. I have no experience on the cache register so I'm talking out my hat here.

I have no idea what you are talking about here, "Well you heard the reason why the screen size stayed small when you postulated the need on the DeLorme site and it was valid to maintain a cost benefit ratio by using the same form factor as the PN-20." I have wondered if the reason was they would need a quadcore processor to handle displaying a bitmap on that big of a screen.

Your last statement is pure sarcastic speculation. Would you like a similar response or shall you keep it in check? As for the particular thread I'm speaking of, I'll have to do a search on the DeLorme forums. I'll get that for you.

And can you tell me something specific about Delorome's 24K topos that are better than Garmin's 24K?

Does it matter? Any point I make regarding what I like about it will not satisfy you on this. Thus we should agree to disagree. You don't like it, I do. Leave it at that.

The documentation is non existent. I heard that there was Topo 7 doc on the DeLorme website but they do a good job of hiding it.

This?

http://www.delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=377

And?

http://www.delorme.com/support/downloads/TopoUSA/Topo7.pdf

With the tab Handheld Exchange open, connect the PN-40 and turn it on. Topo 7 should recognize it as previously unregistered device. It will register it and offer to process maps that were cut for the prior PN-40. This process is not re-cutting the existing maps; it should go quite quickly.

Thanks. I bumped into the links in another forum thread. Still can't find a direct link on the website.

I finally got it though. It has to be in data exchange mode for it to re-register the maps. I was in map exchange mode. Silly me. Figured I was working with maps, so I was using map exchange. And no it wasn't a quick process. Took about 15 minutes for the smallest map set and maybe 40 for the largest (not exactly sure because I fell asleep waiting).

It's *supposed* to pop up with that first connection in Data Exchange mode (I can't remember, but maybe you need to go to the Handheld Export tab in T7 and open the Exchange dialog).

Yes as I mentioned above it does need to be in data exchange (I missed that in your earlier post), but nothing popped up. It only worked when I opened the exchange dialog and clicked on send. Then a message popped up asking me if I wanted to convert.

Can we try to offer any advice on the waypoint situation? How do you want them to be set up?

I'm still looking for a way to have the GC# as the waypoint name, but NOT lose the cache info. Now, when I try any of the suggested methods (e.g. GPX 1.1, GSAK macro) the cache info no longer appears in the comments field.

Anyway, we probably should take this to the PN40 thread and leave this one for the 60CSX vs PN40 discussion. Enough of me hijacking this with tech questions.

Edited by briansnat

alright after following this thread I decided to buy a pn 40,my wife had given me a 250$ budget for a gps{but we will deal with that later} as i went over just a little. my question is what is the next step s I can take while waiting till friday for my unit , Is there any where to get info while I am waiting? Thanks for all the good advice on this thread.

Read as much as you can about the PN-40, you'll be glad you did! If you're not a techy guy (like me, I'm pretty tech ignorant), you'll want to go slow at first, I'll give you a bit of info so you'll know what to do:

Open box, grab the PN-40 and (stop drooling) open the battery door. Put in supplied card and batteries (making sure the batteries go in properly, don't put them in backwards), close it back up and get ready for action! Pull out the computer cable, plug in and turn on the GPS, you're connected and ready to start.

Now, you can go two ways here, you can load the TOPO7 to your computer or you can skip that until later and simply load the region maps you'll want...I have only loaded Michigan at this time, but am planning on adding Ohio next. This shouldn't take near as long as poor Briansnat went through (WOW, I hope that got worked out), maybe 10-15 minutes or so tops!

Now, even if you didn't load TOPO7, you are ready to do some testing of your new unit! You may wish to load the beta update (it's a good thing, trust me). Next, you can go to any cache page and click the "Send To GPS" link, you'll be asked to load the plugin and then the cache will automatically load! This is all you really truly need to do to start using your unit! (and if I am mistaken here, someone will be happy to show me my errors)

Now, TOPO7 is a bit of a chore to learn, but it's not nearly as hard as it appears (coming from a tech ignorant person here), you can mess with this on your spare time if the extra maps don't matter much to you (say if you'd like to get out and get used to the PN-40??). You get a coupon for sampling the maps, load a few sections and get a feel of what you like and don't like.

There's a GSAK macro available, search these forums for details, there's a lot of hints and tricks available at the DeLorme forums (where you'll learn a LOT about your new toy) here: http://forum.delorme.com/.

And remember, there's a lot of people here happy to lend a hand!! Good luck and CONGRATS!!

I'm still looking for a way to have the GC# as the waypoint name, but NOT lose the cache info. Now, when I try any of the suggested methods (e.g. GPX 1.1, GSAK macro) the cache info no longer appears in the comments field.

Brian,

Try these key GSAK export to GPX settings

• Version - 1.0
  • Cache Description - %code

Cache-codes.jpg

To have the names show up, change the Cache Description to %name

Here is a comparison of PN-40 screenshots for using cache codes vs. using cache names:

compare.jpg

Good luck with the PN-40. Once you get it set the way you like it, I believe you will swear by this GPS rather than swear at it.

Best of luck,

Frodo

I own and use religiously both a Garmin 60CSx and a DeLorme PN-40. Don't let anyone tell you differently ... both are strong units suitable for serious geocaching. Both also have strengths and limitations (I'm still looking for the perfect GPSr!). I would also add the Garmin OR to that list. I frankly rotate between the 60CSx and PN-40 depending on the type of caching I'm doing. Between my wife and me, we've found quite a few caches with both units.

As for GSAK and the PN-40 ... we've just released a new macro that will work the name/GC code issues described above. With JAM4AR's app, the macro will also allow you to use DeLorme's Send to GPS Plug-In for up to 1000 caches at a time. You can learn more and download the macro here.

Mike

Edited by Tigerz

...Now, TOPO7 is a bit of a chore to learn, .....

This used to be somewhat true, but less and less passing day.

Remember that the Topo 7 antecedents have been around for years prior to any DeLorme handheld. Therefore, 90% of the steep learning curve has nothing to do with PN-20, -40, geocaching whatsoever.

Also, note that the prior 90% relates to things that are not pertinent to the capablities and the usage of handhelds other than DeLorme's, so those difficulty considerations have no relevant role in a this or that selection process.

Furthermore, with the new Send to GPS plugin, Jam4ar's script and TigerZ's GSAK micro, one can load 1000 caches for paperless caching without using the feared Topo 7.

Of course, T7 does need to be used on a one-time basis by those wanting go load the aerial imagery on their PN-XXs.

However, those users of CO or OR models with 5000 finds, or more, and who totally disdain caching with aerials and recommend not using aerials to new users, then have no reason to even discuss Topo 7.

...Now, TOPO7 is a bit of a chore to learn, .....

Of course, T7 does need to be used on a one-time basis by those wanting go load the aerial imagery on their PN-XXs.

However, those users of CO or OR models with 5000 finds, or more, and who totally disdain caching with aerials and recommend not using aerials to new users, then have no reason to even discuss Topo 7.

As an Oregon user, I've never "disdained" using aerial imagery or tried to convince someone they don't need it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. No one can accuse me of a sour grapes agenda, because aerial imagery can be put on an Oregon with a readily available and inexpensive application. But, for me, the extra steps and time required to put this on the unit via a software application (kind of the same sort of thing as trying to run GSAK or Topo 7 or other such programs on a Mac via a Windows emulator) just doesn't balance out with whatever the usefulness is of having aerials. I've really never seen a use for them FOR MY NEEDS that I can't get out of a topo or street nav maps.

Not saying this is everyone's cup of tea, I personally just haven't found a compelling reason to have aerials.

Edited by BlueDamsel

There is no PQ that will update your info if the cache is archived. So this is an academic question and you know this.

"Archived" and "temporarily disabled" are two different things. True, archived will not show on a pocket query no matter what you do. But, a pocket query will include temporarily disabled caches unless you exclude them, plus it's possible for coords to change without any disabling of a cache whatsoever. Since he didn't specify which type of disabling he meant, this question still applies, if I am correctly reading his original post.

Edited by BlueDamsel

For us the only thing we will be doing with the new unit is GC. As far as driving goes the TomTom is in the car and we like that for driving. Hope your all friends when we meet at a cache.

And no, you didn't start a fight. People get pretty heated about whatever thing they're passionate about on these boards and they forget to be polite and civil and remember that each individual's needs are different. I've learned not to get in the middle of it unless I just see something that plain isn't true. The absolute worst place to hang out on these boards is any forum with the title "Garmin blah blah vs. Delorme blah blah". Advice? Avoid such topics like the plague.

Enjoy your new GPS... no matter what brand you bought, its purpose is to find caches and I'm sure it will do a great job. It's pretty hard to find a truly rotten GPS, most are good, some are great, but even the most lowly can find caches.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

"Archived" and "temporarily disabled" are two different things. True, archived will not show on a pocket query no matter what you do. But, a pocket query will include temporarily disabled caches unless you exclude them, plus it's possible for coords to change without any disabling of a cache whatsoever. Since he didn't specify which type of disabling he meant, this question still applies, if I am correctly reading his original post.

Agreed. I'm currently setting up info for a big snowshoe hike this weekend so I'm dedicating what limited time I have on that versus testing this against caches that were disabled. I'm almost certain the data will be updatd to show the latest log indicating it being disabled but again as it is still consiered to be tenuously active, but I'm talking out my hat again till I test it myself.

Agreed. I'm currently setting up info for a big snowshoe hike this weekend so I'm dedicating what limited time I have on that versus testing this against caches that were disabled. I'm almost certain the data will be updatd to show the latest log indicating it being disabled but again as it is still consiered to be tenuously active, but I'm talking out my hat again till I test it myself.

You are right that there is not a PQ that will update this stuff and GSAK does not have an easy way to handle it (unless the new version has some new tools). But I figured out a pretty simple way to deal with it (i.e., have on my GPS only caches that are active and I have not found with corrected coordiante, user notes, and accumulated logs. It takes aobut 15-30 minutes to set things up but once you get it set up, you can push a button and have the caches on your GPS in a couple of minutes (depending on how fast your computer is.

First you have to have fresh PQs because they will have only caches that are active that you have not found. If coordiantes get changed or the description is updated, your new PQs will have the correct info.

In GSAK, the first thing the macro does is open the database you store you PQs in. Then it exports the database to a gpx file on the hardrive and the gpx will have the accumulated logs, corrected coordiantes, and user notes. Then you start loading your PQs (the first PQ you load and only the first PQ needs to have the setting clear the database checked-this clears everything out of the databased-you also need to have always update the database selected) Then you load the rest of your PQs with the always update the database option selected. At this point you have all your PQs loaded and only active caches that you have found are in the database. Then you load the gpx file you exported to store the accumulated logs and user notes. For this file you select existing only for the database option. That prevents any cache that you have now found or is no longer active from being added to the database. There is also a lock statement you have to include to make sure the file you are importing does not over right changed coordiantes or a new description or hint. Then the macro replaces the GPX file on the GPS. GSAK will also place the user note as the first log so make sure that option is selected on the export. There may now be an easier way to do it, but this definately works. I had some problems before I added the lock statement and it has worked perfectly for many months now. Here is the text I use for the macro.

DATABASE NAME="Default" Action=Select

EXPORT Type=GPX Settings="Storage"

LOAD Settings="SO MID MO 400"

LOAD Settings="SO IL 400"

LOAD Settings="St. Louis 400"

LOAD Settings="Springfield-Decator"

LOAD Settings="Western IL-IN 400"

LOAD Settings="Storage" Lock=$d_name;$d_Latitude;$d_Longitude;$d_LongDescription;$d_Hints

EXPORT Type=GPX Settings="400T-K"

You are right that there is not a PQ that will update this stuff and GSAK does not have an easy way to handle it (unless the new version has some new tools). But I figured out a pretty simple way to deal with it (i.e., have on my GPS only caches that are active and I have not found with corrected coordiante, user notes, and accumulated logs. It takes aobut 15-30 minutes to set things up but once you get it set up, you can push a button and have the caches on your GPS in a couple of minutes (depending on how fast your computer is.

First you have to have fresh PQs because they will have only caches that are active that you have not found. If coordiantes get changed or the description is updated, your new PQs will have the correct info.

In GSAK, the first thing the macro does is open the database you store you PQs in. Then it exports the database to a gpx file on the hardrive and the gpx will have the accumulated logs, corrected coordiantes, and user notes. Then you start loading your PQs (the first PQ you load and only the first PQ needs to have the setting clear the database checked-this clears everything out of the databased-you also need to have always update the database selected) Then you load the rest of your PQs with the always update the database option selected. At this point you have all your PQs loaded and only active caches that you have found are in the database. Then you load the gpx file you exported to store the accumulated logs and user notes. For this file you select existing only for the database option. That prevents any cache that you have now found or is no longer active from being added to the database. There is also a lock statement you have to include to make sure the file you are importing does not over right changed coordiantes or a new description or hint. Then the macro replaces the GPX file on the GPS. GSAK will also place the user note as the first log so make sure that option is selected on the export. There may now be an easier way to do it, but this definately works. I had some problems before I added the lock statement and it has worked perfectly for many months now. Here is the text I use for the macro.

DATABASE NAME="Default" Action=Select

EXPORT Type=GPX Settings="Storage"

LOAD Settings="SO MID MO 400"

LOAD Settings="SO IL 400"

LOAD Settings="St. Louis 400"

LOAD Settings="Springfield-Decator"

LOAD Settings="Western IL-IN 400"

LOAD Settings="Storage" Lock=$d_name;$d_Latitude;$d_Longitude;$d_LongDescription;$d_Hints

We ran in to the same issues updating a database when we started using GSAK. We've taken a little simpler route. The NightlyDBUpdate macro found here will handle everything for you .. automatically. It's menu driven and will update all your entries including caches that have been archived.

It works with both a 60CSx and a PN-40 ... :D