Earth Cache Reviews

007BigD

Dont know what I hope to get out of this, but basically I wanted to provide a place for EarthCachers to list a link to their EC's so others could check em over and critique them in a way. Find ways to improve the listing or point out changes that need to be made.

What may be evident to those who listed the EC may not be for the readers who intend to hunt them. It is intended as a tool to better improve what you already have, aswell as shed some light on different types of ECs that are out there for future placements of others.

I would like to limit the usage of this topic for newly listed ECs, otherwise we may end up with a whole slew of ECs that folks want reviewed! :laughing: Unless you have a particular currently listed EC in mind of yours that you think may need some sort of help.

I realize this is in part the job of the reviewers that initially review the ECs, but we'll see how it goes! You can also state your opinion of this topic if you think it is irrelevant and I will have it closed.

I posted this topic because I went to the "publishing" thread that is now closed and wanted some sort of feedback for my newly listed EC, which is in fact my first.

We dont have many around here and this is the first EC in my county... I almost feel like its too much info and may be to much for some, but hence the higher difficulty. I havent done but a few ECs and just wanna know what ya'll think.

The EC is GC1MX8G ~ The Marine Terrace Ecological Staircase http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0c-9bad6a560be0

Please feel free to let me know what you may think of it...Im rather proud of it myself, but unsure from a ECers standpoint.

Disregard the spelling errors :laughing: Thanks

Is this not adding a hell of a lot more entropy to the whole system?

By all means go ahead and show it to your buddy but as a system? No thanks.

As one who regularly publishes peer reviewed papers, I know I have to be perfectly clear when I write so that the points of view are not ambiguous. I try to apply the same principles to my EC's.

Thanks, ill get a few more suggestions on this topic... I wondered if we should do without, I just really wanted some sort of feedback is all...aswell as on this topic, so I appreciate your honesty.

No worries, just thought it may be usefull...especially for the newbies such as myself. Next Please :laughing:

Ok I will bite.

You have written to the appropriate age group. You could use a few more geologic terms (with appropriate definitions) Something like hardpan or ouklip is a general term for a dense layer of soil, usually found below the uppermost topsoil layer

I also found this sentence poorly constucted

No new soil is created and there is no higher terrace to drain in.
I think you are talking about the lack of fresh soil formation and the lack of nutrient migration from upland environments, which also will retard plant growt, but over all you are not talking to people with B.S, M.S, and PHD's and that is good. You seem to have your information geared twoards the everyday person.

I really like the track log idea, it is easy to look at and see the terraces when compleated and it proves that the person was there. It is also a great example of a learning activity that doesn't involve reading a sign.

I don't care for most of question 5, overall it really is just read a sign and take a photo to prove you are there, not really high on the educational factor. (there are a few like that in Washington where the needed info is in the first line of the write up and then you take a photo. I look at this as an interesting virt, but not an EC)

I think you did a great job and I do mean for these comments to be taken constructively and not negatively.

Ok I will bite.

You have written to the appropriate age group. You could use a few more geologic terms (with appropriate definitions) Something like hardpan or ouklip is a general term for a dense layer of soil, usually found below the uppermost topsoil layer

I also found this sentence poorly constucted

No new soil is created and there is no higher terrace to drain in.
I think you are talking about the lack of fresh soil formation and the lack of nutrient migration from upland environments, which also will retard plant growt, but over all you are not talking to people with B.S, M.S, and PHD's and that is good. You seem to have your information geared twoards the everyday person.

I really like the track log idea, it is easy to look at and see the terraces when compleated and it proves that the person was there. It is also a great example of a learning activity that doesn't involve reading a sign.

I don't care for most of question 5, overall it really is just read a sign and take a photo to prove you are there, not really high on the educational factor. (there are a few like that in Washington where the needed info is in the first line of the write up and then you take a photo. I look at this as an interesting virt, but not an EC)

I think you did a great job and I do mean for these comments to be taken constructively and not negatively.

Thanks for the info! ~ Good point on #5 being quite "virtualistic" ill rethink the step and improve on it.

I tried to use as many generic terms as I could to better accomodate the average cacher (such as myself) as per EarthCache guidelines, but may incorporate some better fitting geological terms upon further research.

Glad the track log was a good point for you, as I had a local review the listing and he was totally bewildered at that step! :unsure: He made a point that "anybody without a Map60Csx will be lost", but I think its a pretty standard function amongst receievers. Just another learning point for some, that i believe will prove usefull. (may even provide tips on this step-dunno) ~ Thanks again! :)

Still a little unsure of how usefull this topic will be... It seems pretty selfish to assume that I would take the time of you folks to review "MY" EC aswell as any others here to help with the listing, but guess there is no better place to go for advice. :unsure:

Its the "Bandwidth" thing and I feel like its a little too personal to be posted here for review tips on ones own EC. Anybody else think it would be better off closed? I think we'd be better off with a "Best of" to get some cool EC ideas and how some ECs are placed, although I am sure there are some EC's out there that are definatley in need of some help!

I just wanna place worthy caches and wanna see other ECs that people are placing... I thought a "review" would be a great way, but on 2nd thought... Im not so sure now. Sorry for the HimHaw