Garmin 76Cx Waypoints

Team K1W1

My previous GPSr was a Lowrance iFinder. What I was able to do for my waypoints was store different sets on the SD chip in the unit. I'd have a set of the closest 400 caches from home, another set for around the cabin, a set I use when out snowmobiling etc. I am able to delete the waypoints in the units memory and then load another complete set from the SD chip. So I didn't need to load then from the computer before I went out on the sleds for example. I have dozens of sets on the chip and can load and unload them "on the fly"

With my Garmin I have figured out that you can save sets of "Custom POI's" on the SD chip. I can delete the current waypoints in the units memory, but can't figure out how to load a new set from the SD chip. I can "find" waypoints from the Custom POI list and save them one at a time, but that would take a month of Sundays to load a whole set like I need when out snowmobiling or caching in a new area.

Surley there must be a way to load the whole set into memory in one go?

You can't load them directly from the SD card to the unit. You can mass load them directly from a program such as Mapsource.

Why do you need to save them as waypoints anyway, when you can already access them and view them as POIs?

To view them on the map.

e.g. I goto the cabin and want to head out on the snowmobile. I find I have forgotten to load my sled waypoints into the unit and the waypoints loaded are for geocaches 200 miles away. I have a set of 40 custom POI's that are waypoints of the trails, how do I load them so I can view them on the map.

Or I have a set of waypoints loaded that are 400 caches close to home. I have a set of 400 based around a town 200 miles away, how do i load them as waypoints so I can see them on the map?

With the Lowrance you just delete the current waypoints and load another set from the SD card.

So I guess my question is "how can I load a set of (say 400) custom POI's so I can view them on the GPS map?

Cheers

Steve

You can view all POIs on the map. You can load as many as your card will hold with POI Loader from Garmin. Many users have thousands of POIs on their GPS. They are viewable and accessible.

So load ALL your POIs once, then you're done.

I must be doing something wrong then. The steps I take:

create Custom POI's via GSAK

export them as gpx files to a directory on my computer (there are 4 files in that directory)

start Garmin's POI Loader

pick "Garmin Device"

pick "find device" - it finds the GPSMap76CX

pick "Install new custom POI's onto your device"

browse and find the folder containing the 4 gpx files

use "Express" mode

load POI's to device

shows I have loaded 1596 Points of Interest onto the unit

Fire up the GPS get a position, go to the map and I don't see any POI's

If I click "find" then "Custom POI's" it will show a list of closest and I can view and save them one at a time.

I can also press "menu" and select a database (set of POI's) but I can't figure out how to be able to view them on the map (without saving them one at a time)

What am I doing wrong?

How do I see all the POI's on the map without viewing each one and doing a "save"?

Thanks

Edited by Team K1W1

What am I doing wrong?

How do I see all the POI's on the map without viewing each one and doing a "save"?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to setup the map to view the POIs. I've got the GPSMAP 60Cx so our systems are virtually the same. Go to main menu page>setup>map>points (flag icon along the top). Then setup the Max Zoom fields. For my GPS I have the Map Points and the User Waypoints set to 500m. That way, on your map page, you need to be zoomed in to at least 500m to see your POIs and Map Points. But you can set this up however you like. Then, you can view all of your POIs at the same time. Viola! :laughing:

Another option that may be more friendly for activities like snowmobiling is to create custom transparent maps with the trails and waypoints associated with that activity. Not that difficult to create. search HCS andRWS for a link to a tutorial on a step by step process to do this or go direct here http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/index...showtopic=79939.

1 - 2 hours at first until you get comfortable with the process.

Doing it this way, by simple turning off and on certain maps, you have the tracks and waypoints for each activity right there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to setup the map to view the POIs. I've got the GPSMAP 60Cx so our systems are virtually the same. Go to main menu page>setup>map>points (flag icon along the top). Then setup the Max Zoom fields. For my GPS I have the Map Points and the User Waypoints set to 500m. That way, on your map page, you need to be zoomed in to at least 500m to see your POIs and Map Points. But you can set this up however you like. Then, you can view all of your POIs at the same time. Viola! :laughing:

Yes, this is what I do. In addition you may be in an area where regular POIs will make the map too cluttered. In this case set your map detail from normal down to least. That way you will plainly see the custom POIs and not the other POIs until zoomed in really close.

My previous GPSr was a Lowrance iFinder. What I was able to do for my waypoints was store different sets on the SD chip in the unit. I'd have a set of the closest 400 caches from home, another set for around the cabin, a set I use when out snowmobiling etc. I am able to delete the waypoints in the units memory and then load another complete set from the SD chip. So I didn't need to load then from the computer before I went out on the sleds for example. I have dozens of sets on the chip and can load and unload them "on the fly"

With my Garmin I have figured out that you can save sets of "Custom POI's" on the SD chip. I can delete the current waypoints in the units memory, but can't figure out how to load a new set from the SD chip. I can "find" waypoints from the Custom POI list and save them one at a time, but that would take a month of Sundays to load a whole set like I need when out snowmobiling or caching in a new area.

Surley there must be a way to load the whole set into memory in one go?

Custom POIs stay on the card, and your unit reads them directly from the card.

The 60/76 Garmins treat each POI file as a separate database. Normally, it merges all databases when you do a POI Find. But you can view just a single POI database by pressing Menu while viewing a POI list, and select the obvious menu option.

Thank You! That's exactly what I needed to do.

It works the way I want it too.

:laughing::anibad:

Thanks for all the replies and great information.

It actually works better than the Lowrance as this way I don't have to load the waypoints into memory.

I just need to keep my custom POI's up to date and they will show up where ever I am

I'm one happy K1W1

I love these forums. They have helped me out in so many ways! Cache on! :laughing: