Best rechargeable batteries?

Bcfly

Is use these GP reCyko batteries and I'm rather happy about them

Looks like chinese clone of the Eneloop. They don't even give the specs not even the capacity and have only AA, AAA ? Chinese marketing discovering the benefit of selling Green to collect greens !

I prefer to stick with brand name that even when made in China are supposed to be built according to strict specifications, too much crap around these days.

A leaky or venting battery can ruin your valuable equipment.

Edited by Suscrofa

Looks like chinese clone of the Eneloop. They don't even give the specs not even the capacity and have only AA, AAA ? Chinese marketing discovering the benefit of selling Green to collect greens !

I prefer to stick with brand name that even when made in China are supposed to be built according to strict specifications, too much crap around these days.

Your conclusion is a bit rash. In fact, Sanyo Eneloop are probably the same as the GP Recyko batteries, since Sanyo started a joint venture with GP 5 years ago.

If you took the time to click on the catalogue link, you would discover the specs

I have some Panasonics that I've been very pleased with. They are about 3 years old and still doing well. I bought new Engergizer rechargeables and also have LaCrosse batteries that came with my LaCrosse charger and they don't seem to work as well as the older Panasonics.

I have heard the the Sanyo Eneloops are the gold standard these days and I might give them a shot.

Edited by briansnat

Powerex/maha same battery, with their charger, so far the best I have used in my thirsty Oregon with backlight on full 100% of the time.

I have tried several brands and they seem to be the best... how long? I really do not time my battery use but last weekend I did 40 caches on 1 set with extra life left.

Jet

Is use these GP reCyko batteries and I'm rather happy about them

The GP Recyko batteries are as good or better than the eneloops.

;) I know it's not a like for like comapison, but the Ansmann Professional Intelligent 8 Cell Multi Charger used to be the bee's knees, didn't it?

So, despite the continued good press for the MaHa Powerex 2700, can we have a volunteer to try the Ansmann 2850mah batteries? :laughing:

or has someone here used them already?

NLee the engineer mentioned in post 15 above gives some good reviews on Amazon's site. He is discussing the Low Self Discharge type "hybrid" batteries.

I have had good luck using these in several devices and it is the only type I will use in the future in my cameras and GPSrs. I use the Kodak and the Rayovac Hybrid AAs.

Many companies are now offering the hybrid, Low Self Discharge type NiMH in AA batteries.

Here are some of the brands now out:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

While I haven't actually used a new set of AccuPower 2900s, I'm disappointed at the discharge mAh rating that my Maha C9000 charger measured on them following three break-in cycles (which went through 6 charge-discharge cycles). Both of them are around 2000 mAh, nearly 1/3 shy of the stated rating. I was also disappointed with a set of Delkin 2900 NiMHs that came in around 2200 mAh after one break-in cycle--although I've since learned that I ought to put them through several more to see if they come up some.

I can say good things about the Sanyo 2700's; after three break-in cycles one of them indicates a little over 2500 capacity and the other 2600. Since I've started measuring these capacities, I no longer expect these batteries to perform at the level stated, but I do expect higher advertised capacities to suggest better performance than lower advertised capacities.

Thomas Distributing advertised money-back satisfaction guarantees with the AccuPower and the Sanyos. I'll return the AccuPowers, but keep the Sanyos.

Do they sell the GP reCyko batteries in the US? If so, what stores handle them?

Not that I know of. The closest you'll get is ebay or dealextreme.com. Seems that there are distributors and retailers in Europe which strikes me as odd considering GP is probably the worlds largest battery manufacturer. Then again,I suspect they make a lot of batteries that are branded under other labels for the US market,don't have a clue which one's they are though. The one thing about buying batteries is to never get dazzeled by the mah rating as so many brands bulls*** that number,rather stick with brands that consistantly deliver what they claim.

Do they sell the GP reCyko batteries in the US? If so, what stores handle them?

Not that I know of. The closest you'll get is ebay or dealextreme.com. Seems that there are distributors and retailers in Europe which strikes me as odd considering GP is probably the worlds largest battery manufacturer. Then again,I suspect they make a lot of batteries that are branded under other labels for the US market,don't have a clue which one's they are though. The one thing about buying batteries is to never get dazzeled by the mah rating as so many brands bulls*** that number,rather stick with brands that consistantly deliver what they claim.

I have 16 of the Sanyo eneloops that I got on a deal from Amazon, and was just curious as to how the GPs compared to them price wise.

The charger you use is also important.

I've been using a basic charger and in an Oregon I've been getting about 4hrs max from some old Uniross 2000mah AA that I've had for several years that I used to use in a digicam.

I used a MH-C9000 charger on the 'refresh and analyse' mode and am into the 7th hour with 3 cells lit :yikes:

So, if you have a basic charger that treats all loaded batteries as the same, maybe look at getting a charger with individual ccts for each battery.

Shame the new charger is about 20% more than a basic charger.

So, I just ordered my first GPSr (60Csx). I know it takes 2 AA batteries to operate it, and I want to get some good(long lasting) rechargeables. Anyone have any preferences they'd like to share??

I've tried 3 brands and NOTHING beats the Sony Ni-MH 2700mAh rechargables in my opinion. I get twice the life of the others even with the backlight on.

Dennis

The one thing about buying batteries is to never get dazzeled by the mah rating as so many brands bulls*** that number,rather stick with brands that consistantly deliver what they claim.

HUH?!? . . . could you elucidate please?

Considering that I've never encountered a battery yet that meets claimed spec.(let alone surpass).

How does one find 'brands' that "consistently deliver what they claim"?

Norm

Edited by RRLover

The one thing about buying batteries is to never get dazzeled by the mah rating as so many brands bulls*** that number,rather stick with brands that consistantly deliver what they claim.

HUH?!? . . . could you elucidate please?

Considering that I've never encountered a battery yet that meets claimed spec.(let alone surpass).

How does one find 'brands' that "consistently deliver what they claim"?

Norm

The internet is a great place to do research. Yes,there are brands that deliver their rating and surprisingly hold their charge for lengthy periods and I'm not refering to low-discharge batteries. That's not to say high-capacity batteries will come remotely close to holding a charge as long as a low-discharge type. As an example,a lot of folks on this forum swear by Maha's and they are indeed very good batteries. Good hunting!