My first cache!

jynclr

I'm just so excited from having found my first geocache that I wanted to post and share my joy. The geocache is GC1FC29 - Frankford Church. I then walked over to GCM7NZ - Frankford Cemetery and found that one too. ;) Like I said, I'm just so excited! I went and tried looking for another cache and didn't find that one. So, of course, not finding something on your first trek can be disappointing. But I was not about to give up.

At the church one, someone had been there earlier than me and so I got to see his (or her) signature. For me, what's exciting, is being at a place, on purpose, that someone else was, on purpose, that was designated as a place by even someone else (the hider). Does that make sense? This is pretty cool. It's like we're linked now. :laughing:

Congrats! Interesting perspective about seeing the links. I sometimes see names in cache logs from people who I've encountered in the forums and it does seem a bit more special in a way. Seeing names like Markwell, Cybret and Jjynclr in the logbook and realizing that person was at that spot a month, year or 5 years before is pretty neat.

Congratulations! Welcome to the madness!

You know...there is no randomness in the universe; everything happens for a reason.

We are also all changed by every thing and everyone we come in contact with, even in the smallest of ways!

For instance, we will always be connected because even if you stop caching, you will never forget!

Congrats! Interesting perspective about seeing the links. I sometimes see names in cache logs from people who I've encountered in the forums and it does seem a bit more special in a way. Seeing names like Markwell, Cybret and Jjynclr in the logbook and realizing that person was at that spot a month, year or 5 years before is pretty neat.

I think it's especially fun when you're caching far from home and you come across a name that you recognize. A couple years ago while vacationing in the outer banks I found several caches which had logs from a couple of local (to me) geocachers that had been vacationing there the week before I got there. On the way there I stopped at a rest stop in Maryland and grabbed a cache which had been logged by another local a few weeks earlier. When I went to log the cache online I realized that the owner was someone I had met while searching for a night cache about a mile from where I live a few weeks earlier.

We went last weekend for our first find(s). We tried before that but didnt have the GPS set up right so i worked on it and then took my Stepdaughter out to test it and we found two together. I think it hooked her as much as it did me. Plus it was the first thing that was just me and her doing. ( we have five kids). Was great

Congrats on finding you first caches. I still remember the details of the first one I found several years ago. This is a great hobby! You may see a lot of parking lots and guardrails, but will also see a lot of cool places that you would have never known about if you weren't hunting fo the cache there.

I agree completely with your sentiment about being "connected" to people and places through geocaching.

Last year I got a notice that a person had picked up one of my geocoins from a cache in the states. I said "Hey! I know that name!" I went back to the last cache I had found here in Iraq and sure enough, there was his log for the same cache find. I contacted the cacher, and we exchanged a few emails. Turns out he is also a scuba diver, and has lived in my hometown before. Small world.

Good luck in your geocaching, it's addictive!

I'm just so excited from having found my first geocache that I wanted to post and share my joy. The geocache is GC1FC29 - Frankford Church. I then walked over to GCM7NZ - Frankford Cemetery and found that one too. :o Like I said, I'm just so excited! I went and tried looking for another cache and didn't find that one. So, of course, not finding something on your first trek can be disappointing. But I was not about to give up.

At the church one, someone had been there earlier than me and so I got to see his (or her) signature. For me, what's exciting, is being at a place, on purpose, that someone else was, on purpose, that was designated as a place by even someone else (the hider). Does that make sense? This is pretty cool. It's like we're linked now. :unsure:

Congratulations! That is wonderful. I just joined and though I went to 5 sites today and know I was in the right location - in my newbie excitement I didn't get all the information I needed to finish the deal - ie. WHAT am I looking for? I found when I went back that I should have been looking for Micros, or a log, etc. So now that I know where I am going, I will go back and use the clover tracking search, etc. Hopefully I will be successful and after doing more research, I will go back with tradeable items. I can't believe I am only finding out about this neat little hobby now.

Happy Hunting!

Hi Jynclr,

Congratulations on your first find, and welcome to the sport/hobby/obsession. :unsure:

My first was just a short while back in December of 2008. I'm amazed at the number of caches available in our area. I don't think I'll run out of challenges for a LOOOOONG time. I'm now up around 70 finds, and there is a trend of the same names popping up again and again. I got my first ever FTF last week, and it turns out that I was following the same people from cache to cache by as little as 15 minutes. The only reason I got the FTF that I got, is that the other person had to go do something else, and had to stop earlly.

I'm already getting interested in going to some event caches soon. I feel like I know some of the people involved in the sport already, even if we havn't met yet. The bond of having shared the same challenges does bind you to each other to some degree. It's almost a form of sibling kindred. At some level, that is what binds us to our own family. The sharing of common life experiences is a strong bond when built over a long time frame. Think of how close you got to the schoolmates you had, or even your coworkers. That feeling you got makes perfect sense to me.

Hope to see you on the trail or at an event some time. Perhaps we can run a few of the same caches at some point? It's a smaller world than we think at times.

Hey jynclr I'm sure we'll be seeing each other's names in quite a few logs in the near future since it seems we live in the same area. My fiance and I just started last week as well, we were 2 for 2 on our first trip over to Katie Jackson Park and both really enjoyed it. Not to mention our dog appreciated the outdoors time. Happy Hunting

I'm just so excited from having found my first geocache that I wanted to post and share my joy. The geocache is GC1FC29 - Frankford Church. I then walked over to GCM7NZ - Frankford Cemetery and found that one too. B) Like I said, I'm just so excited! I went and tried looking for another cache and didn't find that one. So, of course, not finding something on your first trek can be disappointing. But I was not about to give up.

At the church one, someone had been there earlier than me and so I got to see his (or her) signature. For me, what's exciting, is being at a place, on purpose, that someone else was, on purpose, that was designated as a place by even someone else (the hider). Does that make sense? This is pretty cool. It's like we're linked now. ;)

Just wait until you go to a local event and see the faces behind the names. Then it seems all the more real that you're connecting with PEOPLE and not just certain NAMES.