etrex (yellow) help downloading waypoints

Liyah

Hello,

We just got a serial cable for the garmin Etrex (yellow), we downloaded GSAK and loaded a pocket query into it and on the GPS Setup we choose the serial port and com1

We keep on getting an error when we try to send waypoints of:

garmin can't init com1

Are there any drivers or anything else we need?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Here are some answers to your questions:

I checked the speed in the gpsr setup and it is 9600 baud

There is only an option for com1 or com3

I have tried both with the same error and it looks like the modem is useing com3

no PDA connected for the computer

There is nothing else besides the gps that connects to the computer via serial port

There is only GSAK on this computer (laptop), there have been no other gps programs downloaded.

Sounds like the same sort of problems I was having trying to connect via serial with my eTrex and USAPhotomap. I think I did eventually get it to work on com3.

My real "fix" of the problem was to get a USB-serial convertor cable from eBay for much less than the Garmin manufactured one. It works fine (after a little BIOS update) and I've been using it for months now. Just something to keep in mind if your current cable doesn't work out.

Sounds like the same sort of problems I was having trying to connect via serial with my eTrex and USAPhotomap. I think I did eventually get it to work on com3.

My real "fix" of the problem was to get a USB-serial convertor cable from eBay for much less than the Garmin manufactured one. It works fine (after a little BIOS update) and I've been using it for months now. Just something to keep in mind if your current cable doesn't work out.

oops, error in that. That was almost a year ago, after all. I did the BIOS update to fix the connection problem, I don't remember if I read about that on here or a GPS tech support forum.

The cable purchase was to make connection to my computer for a fraction of the price.... :laughing: