Is this a record or........?

Ah yes!

We've been cachers for a couple of years and have reached 91 finds currently, so we're not what you may call "really experienced", with less than a handful of caches found outside the UK.

We're heading for Prague, Czech Republic at the end of February for a four day, 50th Anniversary, break.

I checked the caches for the Prague area and have noted about ten to fill in any spare time and was surprised to see about 120 caches within about 2km of the place we're staying. A little further away, the cache population seems even higher.

With a few exceptions, most of the caches seem to have been found in February 09....most are marked as "yesterday" and "today".

A very high proportion are quiz based caches, but just a few are in English and the Czech language is very difficult to grasp.

So, am I anywhere near correct in thinking that cachers in Prague have got the addiction facture?

We're heading for Prague, Czech Republic at the end of February for a four day, 50th Anniversary, break.

Many congratulations on your anniversary, hope you have a great time!

I just had a gander at the centre of Prague on google earth, oh wow, plenty of caches! I personally shy away from puzzles away from home following a particularly lengthy unsuccessful attempt on one in Salzburg! :) Scarred me for life!

If you spot a little raggy doll TB over there you could bring her back home as she has been wandering since last June and may like to come back home I will PM you the lates cache she is in near to the end of the month just in case.

It would be interesting to find your little raggy doll and bring her back. One problem could be that a TB left in a cache in Prague, could be retrieved the same or next day as most of the caches seem to be visited daily or every 2-3 days....boggles my mind a little. :laughing: Don't know if we'll have access to the geocache website over there but, if you let us have the latest cache detail, we can see if it's a possible visit.

When I set my virtual cache at Stare Mesto in Prague nearly 7 years ago there was only one other near the city centre. Most of the logs I received on the cache were from visitors from Scandinavia and the Netherlands with a few Brits and Americans. Now with over 1900 logs the majority of logs are from Czechs. I also get a log of Czech logs on a virtual I have in Paris.

So yes the Czechs have a bad epidemic of cachitus. :unsure:

Edited to add enjoy your anniversary and Prague - we did!

Edited by John Stead

Puzzle or Multi caches are always tricky abroad, we got stuck on one in Challons en Champagne. It put us off a bit so now only do singlr caches.

I only gave very brief thought to doing a multi in Prague. Just trying to make headtail of the description written in Czech was enough to give me the colliewobbles, so they're all single caches we're aiming for.

Edited to add enjoy your anniversary and Prague - we did!

Thanks John for your message. Looking at your profile, I reckon you'd know what could be described as cachitus. We haven't achieved this level yet but, as we're fairly close to your neck of the woods, it could be catching.

Don't rule out GCXJRY "The Royal Road" which is a very good multi and on a route you are bound to walk while you are there. It also passes loads of other caches on the way. It's not too difficult and it looks like the owner has added a get out clause if you have difficulty finding the final stage. I would recommend it.

We were off to Prague before we read your message, but we did have a go at the Royal Road. We haven't been in touch with the owner yet as recuperation is needed.

We achieved all the clues accept one, which gave us two possible answers depending upon how the "frame of the plaque on Charles Bridge was made up. Putting either of the two numbers into the final location, took us to the area of Mozarts Museum on the west side of the river, but GZ was inaccessible. We thought it may be within a fenced off area with what looked like gravestones, but the gate was chained up - the gps still read about 100m further on which was a very, very steep hill full of trees. We tried to get to the other side, involving yet more climbing, but it was a building site with razor wire fence.

All in all, a very exhausting search in which we must have walked about four miles up some steep hills. Our trusty gps was acting up all day and proved most unreliable. One thing it did bring home, is that a normal walking compass will be a must in the future. There's a good chance we were no-where near the final area!!!

We had enjoyed the multi cache up until the miserable end. From this description, were we anywhere near the cache??? Cheers.

Edited by Ah yes!

I will send a personal mail to stop discussion here in case I spoil it for anyone else.

We were definitely way off the mark. Not being able to read Czech makes it easy to be looking about a mile away from where you ought to be looking. Ah well, we got plenty of exercise and we never stop learning. Thanks for all the help.