What to leave behind?

ArachneDefiant

Hello everyone!

It's great to meet so many folks interested in this wonderful idea!!! I was wondering if I could ask a quick question.

What should I leave behind in caches that I find? I'm thinking about getting PathTags or GeoCoins, but I wasn't sure if that was the proper practice, or if I should leave something else. Any input would be great!

Sorry about the silly question, but I really appreciate your time!

Pretty much, as long as it's within the guidelines ( No Food, Dangerous Things, Etc... )

Leave something with a value of equal or grater than what you take.

Alot of people, like myself, just enjoy the hunt, and take and leave nothing, just sign the log, store a new memory, and move to the next.

I do, however, like to swap trackables such as geocoins and travel bugs.

cash is always appreciated!!!

Yeah, just be sure to give us a heads up so we can get out there to find it right after! :)

I often don't leave anything, but many of the caches I find are micros. When I find some nice ammo cans in the forest or desert, I will leave my signature item. I also leave TBs and geocoins in caches that need them or ones that don't have the possibility of being muggled.

What should I leave behind in caches that I find? I'm thinking about getting PathTags or GeoCoins, but I wasn't sure if that was the proper practice, or if I should leave something else.

I'm not sure I understand your purpose. Is this what you are thinking of leaving as swag, for people to trade? Or are you wanting to leave the same thing as a sort of calling card in every cache (a signature item)?

Either way, geocoins would prove expensive very quickly.

PathTags cost $100 for the first 50.

If you are thinking of swag, many cachers leave things in the dollar-store range. Think of something inexpensive that you would like to find in a cache, or that a child would like to find in a cache. Just so long as it's not against the guidelines: food, knives, ammunition, alcohol, etc.

If you are thinking of a signature item, do you have a hobby that would allow you to make something? Rock-tumbling, or woodworking, or jewelry-making, or ??? Other possibilities are promotional products like imprinted golf pencils, custom fridge magnets, wooden nickels.

Some things I have left in caches are:

• Allen wrench set
  • blaze orange vest
  • bouncy ball
  • bracelet/wristband
  • calculator
  • carabiner
  • combination lock
  • craft kit
  • deck of cards
  • dog toy
  • emergency rain poncho
  • first aid kit
  • fishing tackle
  • flashlight
  • foreign money
  • keyring
  • maze
  • paperback book
  • plush animal
  • safety whistle
  • state quarter
  • toy car
  • yoyo

I like to leave things that are unique from me, or generally usable by many people. I just had my own personal wooden nickels created to leave behind, and I collect ones from other cachers. I also like to leave things like small first aid kits, emergency ponchos, or small toys that are new in the wrapper for the kiddos.

I am getting ready to start making handmade landyards as another signature item I can leave behind or as a FTF prize.

Some people leave GPS's and cameras, I've found a coat -mostly all left by mistake!

These days I mostly* TNLN Took Nothing, Left Nothing. No harm in you doing the same, until you get an idea of what others leave in a cache.

NB Travellers -TB's and Geocoins- are NOT swaps, and should not have a swap item left or removed in exchange. They can be left or retrieved as you wish without swapping!

*If it's a really enjoyable cache, I will leave something, if it's big enough. If it's a good cache that's a little short on swaps I drop something in, but may still write TNLN. Gives you that 'Warm Fuzzy Feeling' of doing good! :laughing:

Thank you everyone for your excellent input!

Bear and Ragged, I think your TNLN policy will be good for the beginning - I certainly don't want to shortchange anyone! But I also love the idea of 'signature' items - I do a lot of crafting, so (for the larger caches, anyway!) that could be fun!

Thank you all so much!!!