Problems with Tasks

CaptainCueball

Hello all.

I'm trying to build my first cartridge, using this tutorial, which is very helpful. The problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to ever flag the cartridge as complete.

I tried originally setting the task complete on status change for the task which is "enter the zone" on my last zone. (The tutorial said events on task change was bugged, is this still the case?)

That didn't work, so I tried setting it on entering the last zone, which also doesnt' seem to work.

Any help on that would be much appreciated.

Also, is there a way to go from one task to the next instead of when they complete a task it takes them back to the main screen and they have to click on tasks to choose the next one?

Thanks very much!

Edited by CaptainCueball

From the list of actions you can choose in the "Build an Action" window, you'll need to choose and set "Set the status of a cartridge to complete or incomplete" if you want the cartridge flagged as complete. A cartridge's completion is not tied to its tasks' completion.

As for your second question, I'm not sure. I'd first try making the next task visible, then marking the other as complete. Usually, when a player completes a task in the game and the game is task-based, I tell the player when a new task comes up. For instance, after a character hints at something to do (a task), I end the dialog by noting the new task's name, e.g. "NEW TASK: The Fabled Idol". In my opinion, tasks are more of a reminder or hint at what the player should be doing rather than important to themselves. It's like a script or chapters in a book. They're especially valuable when a player resumes a cartridge after a long break.

From the list of actions you can choose in the "Build an Action" window, you'll need to choose and set "Set the status of a cartridge to complete or incomplete" if you want the cartridge flagged as complete. A cartridge's completion is not tied to its tasks' completion.

Okay, I'm doing this, but I was doing it on the task change event.

I was also trying to set it complete as the last line in a script when they entered the last zone, but it doesn't seem like it ever flags it complete. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.

The last line says "Set cartName complete true" which looks right? And I'm very new at the Wherigo stuff, so sorry if I'm asking basic questions.

When is a good time to set the cartridge flagged as complete? Once they enter the last zone?

Edit:

Actually I looked at the logs and it says ZCartridge:Complete. I thought something would happen when the cartridge was complete. Is there a way to display a message when the cartridge is completed, or do I just put it in the script when they enter the last zone?

Edited by CaptainCueball

Okay, I'm doing this, but I was doing it on the task change event.

I was also trying to set it complete as the last line in a script when they entered the last zone, but it doesn't seem like it ever flags it complete. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.

The last line says "Set cartName complete true" which looks right? And I'm very new at the Wherigo stuff, so sorry if I'm asking basic questions.

When is a good time to set the cartridge flagged as complete? Once they enter the last zone?

Don't apologize. Lots of us are newbies. But this is the best forum out there. Everyone is willing to help. So ask away.

I mark the cartridge complete when they have done everything I want them to do. In a couple of cases, they have to enter a code they found in the geocache. Other times when they enter the last zone.

In a couple of cases, they have to enter a code they found in the geocache.

That's pretty neat. How do you do that?

And on a seperate note... do Wherigo cartridges count as finds on geocaching.com, or are they completely seperate? And do they end with a cache all the time or sometimes are just tours?

And what are the differences in activity types when you create a new cartridge? TourGuide is the one the demo used, but I can't see any real difference in the Activity Types.

In a couple of cases, they have to enter a code they found in the geocache.

That's pretty neat. How do you do that?

And on a seperate note... do Wherigo cartridges count as finds on geocaching.com, or are they completely seperate? And do they end with a cache all the time or sometimes are just tours?

And what are the differences in activity types when you create a new cartridge? TourGuide is the one the demo used, but I can't see any real difference in the Activity Types.

I did it by creating a character and assigning a "Talk" command to the character. At each stage, the player has to answer a question (for example, how many slides on the swing set in front of you?) to make the next stage appear.

Wherigo and geocaching are two separate activities. However, there is a geocaching type called Wherigo. You hide a container in the woods and the player has to use a Wherigo cartidge to find the location of the cache. Take a look at my profile. All 5 of my Wherigo's do that.

I have a couple geocaches that are tours but they must end with a physical log book to qualify as a cache.

I don't think Activity types have any real meaning at this point.

I did it by creating a character and assigning a "Talk" command to the character. At each stage, the player has to answer a question (for example, how many slides on the swing set in front of you?) to make the next stage appear.

How do you create a talk command, and how do you verify that the information a user inputs matches something (I assume you create a variable with each of your answers and compare the input?) But how do you actually create the input?

On a side note, I'm working on my first Wherigo and I've got the endpoint containing a cache about 4 miles away from the walking tour section. It sets the task true, but it won't set the location to active. The way I'm doing this is as follows:

When the player enters the zone:

Show a message to the player

Set ztaskGoToMyZone Complete true

Set zoneMyZone Active False

Set ztaskGoToNextZone Active true

Set zoneNextZone Active true

This is the same thing I've done for the previous 4 zones and it works correctly. Is there any sort of limit on distance, or am I doing something else wrong?

When you create character or an item, there is a box towards the bottom for Commands where you can create whatever command you want.

Then an event "On Talk" or whatever is created. In there you can put a Get Input. And in the Input you can get input from the player and test it. You do need to create variables.

In your zone destination, set the distance to -1. Otherwise it will not be visible 4 miles away.

When you create character or an item, there is a box towards the bottom for Commands where you can create whatever command you want.

Then an event "On Talk" or whatever is created. In there you can put a Get Input. And in the Input you can get input from the player and test it. You do need to create variables.

Okay, I did this... And when I created my input I made it look like this:

If myVariable Equal 1999

Show a message to the player (this message says "RIGHT ANSWER!")

else

Show a message to the player (this message says "BZZT! WRONG ANSWER!")

end

This is all I have on my Input object, but no matter what I enter, its saying "RIGHT ANSWER!"

If myVariable Equal 1999

else

end

This is all I have on my Input object, but no matter what I enter, its saying "RIGHT ANSWER!"

Zip your lua file and post it here and we can have a look at it.

If myVariable Equal 1999

else

end

Zip your lua file and post it here and we can have a look at it.

Here's an abbreviated version of it. This was the one I was testing it in.

There's Hank in the second zone. Talk to him and whatever you answer is automagically correct.

birthplace_of_country.zip

Here's an abbreviated version of it. This was the one I was testing it in.

There's Hank in the second zone. Talk to him and whatever you answer is automagically correct.

Hi Captain,

at first excuse my bad english.

Your problem is, you forget to assign the variable "muralyear" in the Input-Object "muralyearinput".

Look it in the ZIP-File

Gretings fro Germany

Paul

birthplace_of_country.zip

Got it fixed.

When you defined the input, you forgot to specify where the player's input is to be placed.

At the bottom of the window for the definition of muralyearinput, there is a pulldown menu titled Pick An Object. That is where you tell it to put the answer in the variable muralyear.

BTW, since you predefined the variable with the correct answer, your IF statement was always correct. If you had left value at 0, you would have been always wrong.

Looks like a cool cartridge. A.P. and Hank would be proud. Although I doubt they would understand computers. LOL

Be sure and update this post when you publish it. Hope to get down that way someday and play it.

C

Edited by Tequila

Got it fixed.

When you defined the input, you forgot to specify where the player's input is to be placed.

At the bottom of the window for the definition of muralyearinput, there is a pulldown menu titled Pick An Object. That is where you tell it to put the answer in the variable muralyear.

BTW, since you predefined the variable with the correct answer, your IF statement was always correct. If you had left value at 0, you would have been always wrong.

Looks like a cool cartridge. A.P. and Hank would be proud. Although I doubt they would understand computers. LOL

Be sure and update this post when you publish it. Hope to get down that way someday and play it.

C

Thank you plinden and Tequila. This worked. ;) Hopefully I'll have it published sometime this week. Heebinator and I have been working hard on it.

I have been working on my first cartridge. I tried the cartridge out today to make sure it was working properly. After visiting the last zone, I set the cartridge to complete but isn't there supposed to be a completion code. I am using the following line to complete the cartridge.

set cartName complete true

Is there something else I need to do? Or does the completion code only pop up after the cartridge is published?

Thanks,

Michael

There are to ways to unlock a cartridge: setting a cartridge as complete and uploading the save file or displaying and entering a completion code. You can do either one with your cartridge. So, no, if you mark a cartridge as complete, you do not need an unlock code.

By the way, telling a cartridge to save, which would be the logical thing to do after marking the cartridge as complete, crashed a few Garmin players a while back. I do not know if it has been fixed (because I haven't tried recently), so be careful if you add that line.

I believe the OnClick part of tasks don't work. Just having tasks as standard information and not tying any events to them seems to work fine.

A workaround for the Colorado for this is to create the task so that it shows up in the menu as a task, but place the instructions for the task in the task description. When the player follows the directions for the task, trigger it to complete or invisible. Still allows the task to be in the main menu even if it does not function.

RedBat