Groundspeak & Geocache Emails

Sloopy12

I have been a GeoCache member for about a year, and am constantly getting my email spammed with Geocache "someone has found your geocache!" and Groundspeak's weekly newsletter (but it sends 2 every week).

I do not need to be emailed by either of these, yet I can't figure out how to disable the emails from being sent.

If you know how to turn these off, please tell me.

Thanks

I have been a GeoCache member for about a year, and am constantly getting my email spammed with Geocache "someone has found your geocache!" and Groundspeak's weekly newsletter (but it sends 2 every week).

I do not need to be emailed by either of these, yet I can't figure out how to disable the emails from being sent.

Thanks

Hmmm, based on a quick check you should have received about a dozen cache log notifications so far this year and one weekly newsletter each week. That doesn't seem to be a whole lot. Less than one per day. Plus I wouldn't consider either type of email spam. But that's just me. You can turn off the weekly email by editing your profile preferences. You can't turn off the cache log notification emails. If they bother you that much you might want to consider adopting your two caches out to someone else. Maybe you have lots of other caches hidden under different accounts and you are getting a lot more email than it would seem based on your profile info. Of course you could also set up an email account that you only use for caching and check it whenever you feellike it. Just a thought.

Thanks

As was pointed out you can change your profile to stop the weekly updates. You can also just archive your caches and that will stop that email. Or you can get a hotmail account for geocaching and ignore the account after you switch your profile.

Jim

Or you can get a hotmail account for geocaching and ignore the account after you switch your profile.

Jim

And thus the reason so many cache owners don't repair their caches when they are broke, CAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THERE'S PROBLEMS.

It is a cache owners responsibility to watch for problems, ignoring the only thing that gives them a status of their cache is about the lamest advice you can give.

Or you can get a hotmail account for geocaching and ignore the account after you switch your profile.

Jim

And thus the reason so many cache owners don't repair their caches when they are broke, CAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THERE'S PROBLEMS.

It is a cache owners responsibility to watch for problems, ignoring the only thing that gives them a status of their cache is about the lamest advice you can give.

He obviously doesn't want to know if there are problems or not. He simply wants the emails to stop. You apparently have him confused with someone that cares.

Jim

You could also set up a filter in your e-mail program (provided you use one), that moves all geocaching mail to a separate folder, especially for geocaching. Then, once in a while, you can peruse them to make sure you don't have any 'pressing' issues.

From the sounds of things (you're receiving two weekly mailings), is it possible that you have two accounts? That would explain the multiple weekly mailings.

I may have spent more time than necessary on looking at this, but you have 211 finds on 2 caches that have been listed for almost a year that's 0.63 emails per day. Plus ~52 weekly updates for 0.16 per day. This gives 0.79 emails per day which is less than 1 per day.

I would hardly call that spam. Plus you only have 21 cache finds in that same time period. Granted this is under this Sloopy12 name which you have not signed on to GC.com since Dec 17, so unless you have another name with more caches and finds, this doesn't seem to be a real issue.

Like stated earlier though, you can have the weekly newsletter emails stopped from your edit profile page, but the notifications are purposefully sent to you so you can keep track of your caches if any problems occur with them. This is a must if you plan on maintaining them like you agreed to do in the cache setup guidelines. How can you maintain them if you are not seeing notifications on them? If you are not willing to receive the notifications and maintain them as needed, then adopting them out would be a good solution as recommended above.

But that's just my two wheat pennies.

I'm weird! I did this...

Even before I started caching, one or two email addy's just wasn't enough, so I went to godaddy and got me a website and host; I paid for 5 years; so it works out to like $3.19/month for web space and 500 or 1,000 email addresses.

So it gives me an image host I can host pictures on if I want to post them somewhere and more email addy's than I'll ever need! I use one just for caching. I can also use the space to back up important files if I need to.

I set outlook to check the ones I use and move them into appropriate folders.

I have outlook doing all kinds of things!

Thanks

If you can't be bothered by a few emails to make sure everything is OK with your caches then you should archive or adopt them out. :laughing:

And to take it further Groundspeak should send out a confirming email maybe every 6 months or so to make sure you are still an active member and archive your caches if you aren't. ;)

I own 55 caches and I read the logs on every one. I also have notifications on any cache that gets archived in 20 miles of my home. I also have 50 some caches on watch list that I like to see the logs on. Newly published caches go to my phone and on top of all that I have a "List" of caches I haven't been able to find yet (34). At a minimum you should be willing to read the logs on your own caches every time they get logged.

Obviously one cannot be expected to eat, sleep, and breath Geocaching like some people do but you should look at your own logs.

StaticTank

To the OP, here's what I do. I didn't like all the found it, didn't find it and other logs mixing in with other emails, so I created filters and folders in my email program.

One is called "Found it," another "Did Not Find," and another "Watched Caches."

The emails get routed to the correct folder depending on what type they are. If a cache has an immediate issue such as needing maintenance or something else, it stays in my main inbox where I see it quickly and can take action right away.

The others rest safely in their respective folder until I have time to read them at my leisure when I get home from work or whatever.

Important messages are seen right away. Regular logs are read when I have the time and everything is good.

As others have said, if those "Found" emails aren't interesting to you anymore then it's definitely time to archive the caches (or have someone adopt them from you if you can find someone that thinks they are worth saving).

It would be good if more people took this approach rather than letting their caches die off from neglect.

Thanks

You can solve all your problems from this this link. :laughing: