Cache idea

k_statealan

Looking at a special cache and wondering if anyone knew if anything like it had been done before.

It's sort of an anti-Cache Across America. The goal to get the final would be to find a cache with all 50 state's name in it, but none can be in the same state where the cache's namesake rests. I've researched it and it can be done. I also realize that there are 2 or 3 states that have a 50 state series and am prepared to work around those.

Anyone heard of one like this?

Looking at a special cache and wondering if anyone knew if anything like it had been done before.

It's sort of an anti-Cache Across America. The goal to get the final would be to find a cache with all 50 state's name in it, but none can be in the same state where the cache's namesake rests. I've researched it and it can be done. I also realize that there are 2 or 3 states that have a 50 state series and am prepared to work around those.

Anyone heard of one like this?

Here in Portugal we have a series called Lusitani.

The country is divided in 30 different administrative regions... so we hided a cache on each one of them... and in each cache one can get a code. Having all 30 codes, you can search for the final Lusitani cache.

(Lusitani came from the roman name of Portugal - Lusitania)

You're wanting me to find a cache with "Alaska" in the name that's not in Alaska, "Florida" in the name that's not in Florida and so on. Do I also have to find caches in 50 states? or just caches with all the states names and none of them in the named state?

I've not seen this done (either way).

I'd like to see a change to the listing guidelines: Compilation cache owner can only post their hide after they've built the required bookmarked list from their own finds. Just sayin.

You're wanting me to find a cache with "Alaska" in the name that's not in Alaska, "Florida" in the name that's not in Florida and so on. Do I also have to find caches in 50 states? or just caches with all the states names and none of them in the named state?

I've not seen this done (either way).

I'd like to see a change to the listing guidelines: Compilation cache owner can only post their hide after they've built the required bookmarked list from their own finds. Just sayin.

Yes, finding a cache with "Alaska" in the name in any state but Alaska. You wouldn't have to visit all 50 states. But I would probably require a limit, say 5, to the number you could find in one state. That would make it more difficult for people who live near a 50 state series (Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and California, I believe).

And I'm not sure what you're saying with the second part. Are you suggesting that I find one of each of these and post a bookmark of my finds? Because if so, I doubt it would ever happen (I have 8). I would certainly require an e-mail or bookmark to note the finds for anyone planning on finding the final so I can verify.

Yes, finding a cache with "Alaska" in the name in any state but Alaska.

My question is can this be done? Have you verified that there are caches with each state name that aren't in said state?

Yes, it can be done. Some, like Washington (43 states and 5 foreign countries), are really easy. South Dakota is the most difficult, with 2 (in NH and ME). New Hampshire is the second hardest with 3. New Mexico has 4. A vast majority have at least 10. These were at least current as of about 2 weeks ago. I would probably allow 1 or 2 freebies from "series" caches.

And I'm not sure what you're saying with the second part. Are you suggesting that I find one of each of these and post a bookmark of my finds? Because if so, I doubt it would ever happen (I have 8). I would certainly require an e-mail or bookmark to note the finds for anyone planning on finding the final so I can verify.

I believe they're stating the opinion that before someone can list a challenge cache they must have personally completed all the requirements beforehand. So before listing a WRC cache you must have filled your D/T grid and found one of each cache type and listed year. Before listing an Alphabet Challenge you must have found a cache starting with each letter of the alphabet. And so forth.

So before you are allowed to list this cache, their opinion is that you must have personally found caches containing the names of all 50 US states in other US states.

Back on topic, I think this would actually be an interesting challenge, unless you include your overly restrictive 5-state max rule or a "before and after" rule (caches must be placed before the challenge was listed, and must be found after the challenge was listed). Then it just becomes ignore list fodder.

Back on topic, I think this would actually be an interesting challenge, unless you include your overly restrictive 5-state max rule or a "before and after" rule (caches must be placed before the challenge was listed, and must be found after the challenge was listed). Then it just becomes ignore list fodder.

I was just throwing out 5-state rule. I'd be more likely to limit it to so many per series. A couple states have all of them or nearly all of them. And I wouldn't put a time restriction on it. Those are annoying to me.

Edited by k_statealan

If you don't include any time limits, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a wave of new caches that have "South Dakota" and "New Hampshire" in their titles. After publishing an Alphabet Challenge with no limits, I noticed that the surrounding area had an uptick in new cache submissions having names that started with odd letters. I took to modifying the standard "Published" log to say "Xublished," "Jublished," "Zublished," etc., as applicable.

Conversely to Keystone's statement, if you DO include time limits, and the rare South Dakotas are archived, your cache is dead.

I own an alphabet compilation cache with the added requirement that the list of 26 finds can only include ONE traditional cache (and at least 8 different cache types).

BEFORE I wrote it up I did two things.

I created my own bookmarked list of 26 A-Z cache finds with only one traditional find and 8+ cache types.

I hid an "X" multi and a "Z" multi :laughing:

I think it's an interesting concept which may appeal to some finders. Because of the obvious difficulties inherent in such a find, I think your cache will get very lonely. There's a challenge cache near me that's been active for about a year, and it's been found three times. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6a-fdaeee2f618d

Don't really care if its not found very often. That's kind of the point--to attract highly dedicated cachers.