Is it OK to toake more than one of the same coin?

Capt Prozac

What is the the consensus? If I come across the same geocoin in two seperate caches (coins are for collecting and not travellers), is it OK to take both? Or, is it common courtesy to leave one for someone else since you already have one. Just trying to get a feeling for what the ettiquette is?

Edited by Capt Prozac

We are going on a three day road trip this weekend and we will be dropping some unactivated coins for people to find by surprise. I'm looking forward to the finders logs!

:D why I am not living in the states or in Canada??? :)

I was reading the posts... oh boy! Why not leave the other one for an other geocacher? Now the second one will probably end in ebay.... :P

Can I ask something? how this coin looks like??? Is there a photo to see it?? :)

We are going on a three day road trip this weekend and we will be dropping some unactivated coins for people to find by surprise. I'm looking forward to the finders logs!

Coming down to Colorado any?! Heh heh heh. Have a great and fun road trip!

I tried to drop one off in Denver last week. However, I couldn't find the cache near my hotel. I'm done posting when I leave these things.

If you left it for someone to find and keep then I'd give up worrying about what happens to them. Yes, it might end up on ebay, but it might also be gifted to another person who's been seeking or traded away or etc., etc. We can't assume to know the intention of the finder or the infinite number of reasons they would go after both. However, if you tell people flat out in a public way where to find both (at the same time no less) then you should expect the possibility of this. Personally, I'd trade up or trade even if I found a coin in a cache, but I'm fortunate enough to have coins for doing that and not everyone else is.

It begs a few other questions though. Is perceived value actual value for trade reasons? ie: If you find a rare coin, should you leave a rare coin in return or just any coin? What if you've never found a coin before or have nothing worth the inflated ebay driven collectors' perceived $ value. If I found an unactived Moun10Bike coin as a trade item, would leaving my own personal in trade be fair? If not, why not? Can you say with perfect certainty what anyone's personal will be worth in 20 years? :)

Well considering you cache in a pretty specific area and only certain people within proximity of that area have a chance to get the coin(s), then if the finder is picking them up at the request of other cachers AND leaves another swag coin as trade, I think it's acceptable. If the finder is just taking and not trading fairly, then I think it's disgraceful and greedy.

I tried to drop one off in Denver last week. However, I couldn't find the cache near my hotel. I'm done posting when I leave these things.

Good call. I went that route a while ago, too.

It irks me a bit when I leave a bunch of cool items or coins in caches and somebody follows in your footsteps only to take them all. I'm sure one was kept and the others were sold and traded but I prefer to have people find them in the wild - out of my control, I know but I can wish...

A while back I went on a trip and went caching in a new state where I dropped a lot of local coins, personal coins, sig items, etc. and somebody went back after I was there and pretty much cleaned it all out without so much as a mention in the logs (sigh).

Coming down to Colorado any?! Heh heh heh. Have a great and fun road trip!

It's on the roof of the parking lot.

:laughing: I've been to Denver and I'm thinking of a cache near the downtown hotels. Is this the one? The coordinates take you to the bottom of the parking lot. you have to go UP.

On the topic of coins in caches.

I delay posting cache finds, because I almost always leave coins in caches as gifts. This prevents "followers" from grabbing more than one coin (or at least discourages it).

I think it's common courtesy to leave the second coin. Nobody likes the person that takes the last piece of pizza when someone hasn't had any.