Touch screen Garmin handheld...

We are looking to upgrade from our Magellan cheap-o 210. We are hoping to stick around the $300 mark (or less of course!). Touch screen, Garmin (because I am SO sick of typing in all the info myself!), and the handheld rugged type. I've done some searching and I can't seem to find the info I want so I thought I'd ask the experts here! :blink: Advice on where to buy to get the best deal would be great too- I see amazon has TONS of GPS units and now I'm just overwhelmed with choices! Thanks everyone!!!

:laughing:

We are looking to upgrade from our Magellan cheap-o 210. We are hoping to stick around the $300 mark (or less of course!). Touch screen, Garmin (because I am SO sick of typing in all the info myself!), and the handheld rugged type. I've done some searching and I can't seem to find the info I want so I thought I'd ask the experts here! :blink: Advice on where to buy to get the best deal would be great too- I see amazon has TONS of GPS units and now I'm just overwhelmed with choices! Thanks everyone!!!

Garmin Oregon 300

Garmin Oregon 300

Which really is the only unit that meets all of the stated requirements, it's not just a "Garmin fan pick".

Let me ask you a clairifying quesiton since you have such an old unit. When you say you are tired of typing stuff in do you mean manually entering geocaches? If that is the problem you do not nead a touch screen GPS. Any of the Garmin handhelds you can send geocaches to the GPS and you do not have to type them in (you can use a Pocket Querry or send to GPS feature). With the CO/OR you get paperless geocaching and those are the best two handhelds. It is real easy to enter text with the OR, but the CO's screen is much easier to see. If you don't want to be able to type in waypoint names etc easily, the OR does that the easist. But if your concern was typing in geocaches, you can have more choices.

Let me ask you a clairifying quesiton since you have such an old unit. When you say you are tired of typing stuff in do you mean manually entering geocaches? If that is the problem you do not nead a touch screen GPS. Any of the Garmin handhelds you can send geocaches to the GPS and you do not have to type them in (you can use a Pocket Querry or send to GPS feature). With the CO/OR you get paperless geocaching and those are the best two handhelds. It is real easy to enter text with the OR, but the CO's screen is much easier to see. If you don't want to be able to type in waypoint names etc easily, the OR does that the easist. But if your concern was typing in geocaches, you can have more choices.

Hmmm something to think about- we had just thought of getting touch screen, for ease of typing... but if there are other Garmin models that are just as good but NOT touch screen I think we may be open to them... We need good reception, I am sick of having to find a clear spot to get an accurate read... which I suppose is any of the newer models. Seriously, we know very little about the Garmins and it seems there are SOOOOO many different ones out there, we are overwhelmed. Maybe we just need guidance, because as you said, the geocaches get sent to the gps with a garmin anyway. Paperless caching would be fabulous. What is CO/OR? I am guessing OR=Oregon? What are the features to look for that make it paperless? I think I may be more confused with all the new features than I was when we bought our GPS!

Based on what you said I would narrow down your choices to the 60CSX, Colorado, and Oregon.

The CO and OR come in different versions like 300 and 400T, the 400T has topo maps for the US. Since you are from Canada, you would probably want to go with the 300 model and get the free detailed topo maps for Canada at:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/country/ca/

The 60CSX is a real good workhorse but it is yesterday's technology. So if you can afford a CO or OR you should go with them. The 60CSX does not support paperless geocaching, but you can load the geocaches on the GPS with mapsource or GSAK. In other words, it is real simple to send geocaches to the GPS.

Both the CO and OR support paperless geocaching. You can load your Pocket Querry on the GPS and then you have the cache description, logs, and hints on the GPS. They also have field notes which makes logging caches real simple. All you have to do is upload a file and then you get links to log your caches.

The choice between the CO and OR is a personal choice on what is most important to you. The OR has a touch screen so entering text is much easier with it. The CO's screen is much easier to see. There are also some things that work better on it since you have the rock n roller and 3 buttons. My preference is the CO but many like the OR better. Since screen visibility is a big difference I would highly recomend going to a store and look at them inside and out.

http://www.tigergps.com/delormepn40.html

That link will take you to the sales page for the Delorme PN-40. The maps for the unit are included, routing is in the box (not sure if any other unit can boast this or not). The PN-40 also allows for additional maps such as color aerial imagery (imagine someone flying overhead and beaming you pictures of the area as you travel), NOAA charts, sat imagery (color and/or B&W) etc. The PN-40 is now fully paperless and you can send to GPS straight from the cache page just like the Garmins! The PN-40 I own has been getting +/-5' accuracy and has put me right on top of all the caches I have hunted for with it!!

For a short time, there's a $50 rebate from DeLorme, bringing the cost down to $300! Also, DeLorme offers a 30 day money back guarentee should you not like the unit! You're already considering some other great units, I just thought I'd throw in another to look into. Read the description on the sales page, check out the demonstrations and read the specs. You can also search out any other unit from the sales page and compare them right from the sales site!!

Good luck on your search!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

That link will take you to the sales page for the Delorme PN-40.

the problem with delorme outside of us borders is the mapping options aren't as good as they are within those same borders. according to the OP profile no caches in the USA.

if touch screen isn't a deal breaker (mapsource and send to gps make manual entry pretty mundane) the gpsmap60cs is a very nice unit, I have been using mine for a few years now and it is every bit as accurate as any other unit I have compared it too. be sure to check out the ibycus topos as well. they are not routable but very high quality and detail.

Besides the map issue in Canada (even outside Canada you can get better topo maps for free for garmin than the maps you have to pay for for Delorome), while the paperless geocachig for the PN 40 is better than the 60CSX, it is not in the same league as garmin's. If you want paperless geocaching, go with the CO or OR.

That link will take you to the sales page for the Delorme PN-40.

the problem with delorme outside of us borders is the mapping options aren't as good as they are within those same borders. according to the OP profile no caches in the USA.

if touch screen isn't a deal breaker (mapsource and send to gps make manual entry pretty mundane) the gpsmap60cs is a very nice unit, I have been using mine for a few years now and it is every bit as accurate as any other unit I have compared it too. be sure to check out the ibycus topos as well. they are not routable but very high quality and detail.

My bad, I usually check that before commenting. However, I do believe you can buy Xmap or something along that line and use the unit outside the USA, I could be wrong.

The 60CSX is a real good workhorse but it is yesterday's technology

I'd hardly say that the 60CSX is yesterday's technology. The 60CSX uses the SiRFstar III which is still pretty much the gold standard in consumer grade GPS units. The Oregon and Coloraco use cheaper and somewhat inferior chipsets.

..and so does the PN-40. I think somewhat inferior is a bit strong, I have seen no hard evidence suggesting that. The antenna in the 60 probably gives that unit the edge in such tests as http://gps.wmsar.info/pn40/ . The Cartesio in the Oregon and PN-40 are having current WAAS issues, but that seems *on the way* to be fixed by new firmware

In terms of the new generation of GPS, I'd say the poster means with respect to the paperless generation of GPS units, of which CO / OR / PN-40 are in that next wave. Anyway, the 60C(S)X, as Brian says, is certainly not "yesterdays" GPS accuracy / reception. OK, well apart from the "hot fix" of the Cartesio chipsets... both used by the Oregon and now the PN-40 allowing for VERY quick satellite fixes as the unit can now predict where the birds are gonna be.

Edited by Maingray

Don't get me wrong, the 60CSX is a great GPS, I loved mine before I got my CO. I never missed the 60CSX.

Besides paperles caching, the screen of the CO/OR is about twice as big as the 60CSX which I think is the most important difference. The ability to see so much more on the screen is a huge improvement.

The CO/OR also support profiles which is also a major improvement over anything else on the market. They allow you to very easily and quickly change the settings on the GPS to optimize it for what you are using it for, (geocaching, automobile, hiking, biking).

Both the CO and OR are also much easier to operate than the 60CSX. They also have several other advantages over the 60CSX such as shaded relief.

The 60CSX is a real good workhorse but it is yesterday's technology

I'd hardly say that the 60CSX is yesterday's technology. The 60CSX uses the SiRFstar III which is still pretty much the gold standard in consumer grade GPS units. The Oregon and Coloraco use cheaper and somewhat inferior chipsets.

..and so does the PN-40. I think somewhat inferior is a bit strong, I have seen no hard evidence suggesting that. The antenna in the 60 probably gives that unit the edge in such tests as http://gps.wmsar.info/pn40/ . The Cartesio in the Oregon and PN-40 are having current WAAS issues, but that seems *on the way* to be fixed by new firmware

In terms of the new generation of GPS, I'd say the poster means with respect to the paperless generation of GPS units, of which CO / OR / PN-40 are in that next wave. Anyway, the 60C(S)X, as Brian says, is certainly not "yesterdays" GPS accuracy / reception. OK, well apart from the "hot fix" of the Cartesio chipsets... both used by the Oregon and now the PN-40 allowing for VERY quick satellite fixes as the unit can now predict where the birds are gonna be.

Yeah, this is more hearsay and gossip IMHO. If you read the PN-40 threads, you'll note a majority reporting around a +/-5' to 10' (that's feet, not meters). While out the last few days, I can honestly and proudly say I am one who has seen a 5' accuracy the majority of the time I was out!

People hear of a problem early on and then run with it without knowing whether that problem has been addressed or not! :)

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Besides the map issue in Canada (even outside Canada you can get better topo maps for free for garmin than the maps you have to pay for for Delorome), while the paperless geocachig for the PN 40 is better than the 60CSX, it is not in the same league as garmin's. If you want paperless geocaching, go with the CO or OR.

Anyone looking for a new unit should remember that SOME are loyal Garmin fans, and good for Them! While this isn't a bad thing, it does make problems since you'd not get an unbiased opinion when comparing units...people should keep this in mind! It's great to give your opinion, but it's just that an opinion...when Myotis says the maps aren't as good etc, take these statements with a grain of salt since MANY have stated the PN-40 maps are far better than Garmins (and some making that statemens are Garmin users)...and the maps on the PN-40 are free! Also, the maps subscription allows for maps which blow ANYTHING Garmin has away!

This is MY opinion, I am unbiased as I only want the buyer to be happy (well, maybe a bit biased, but I'd not allow that to cloud my comparissons)!

Also, with the beta update, the PN-40 is AWESOME for paperless, It is great to be able to make the find, log the find while standing at the cache site and then simply uploading the field notes and edit in any other comments before making the log complete.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

We are looking to upgrade from our Magellan cheap-o 210. We are hoping to stick around the $300 mark (or less of course!). Touch screen, Garmin (because I am SO sick of typing in all the info myself!), and the handheld rugged type. I've done some searching and I can't seem to find the info I want so I thought I'd ask the experts here! :D Advice on where to buy to get the best deal would be great too- I see amazon has TONS of GPS units and now I'm just overwhelmed with choices! Thanks everyone!!!

:)

While the Oregon being the only terrain GPS with a touchscreen (not counting the crossover Nüvi 500) I still would stay away for it for now. While many are perfectly happy with it there are several people (in these forums) which have compared the Oregon with Gpsmap 60csx and 76csx and the Oregon seems to have serious problems getting their accurancy up to par with the "old" generation. I'd love an Oregon myself if I'd knew it be as precise as the 60CSx.

Asfaik you can just get an USB cable for your eXplorist 210 (search on eBay) and transfer waypoints to it using GSAK. You can do the same for most (if not all) Garmins aswell. The newer ones usually (or always?) use standard mini-USB connections which is nice. The Oregon and the Colorado offers paperless geocaching out-of-the-box. I believe the crossover device, Nüvi 500, do the same but I may be wrong.

The Garmin Legend HCx/Vista HCx and at least the GPSmap 60/76/Cx/CSx devices can filled with geocache description with the proper GSAK macro. It's will not provide as good paperless geocaching as the Colorado and Oregon but it's better than just having the coordinates. GPSmap 60/76/Cx/CSx may be the best choice at the moment or a Legend HCx or Vista HCx which more or less does the same as the GPSMap series and some claim that they are as accurate.

I don't know much about the Colorado and how it compares to the "old" generation. It may be a good option too.

Thank you all for your insights. We are thinking possibly the Colorado or 60CSX. They are the same price ($300) on amazon.com! Any other places that sell GPS units cheaper? And where's the best place to get accessories for it?

Now a question about the Colorado and 60CSX- has anyone tried using these with mittens on? :) Odd question to you southerners maybe but, something I hadn't thought of until now, which is why the touch screen one is OUT of the running now, it's simply not practical for us!

Thank you all for your insights. We are thinking possibly the Colorado or 60CSX. They are the same price ($300) on amazon.com! Any other places that sell GPS units cheaper? And where's the best place to get accessories for it?

Now a question about the Colorado and 60CSX- has anyone tried using these with mittens on? :) Odd question to you southerners maybe but, something I hadn't thought of until now, which is why the touch screen one is OUT of the running now, it's simply not practical for us!

For paperless, your best bet is the CO, the 60CSx will do some paperless, but not much! The CO isn't a bad unit, but I have heard stories (much like most GPSs I would guess). Either unit will work with gloves, or at least my friends seem to not have much problem! I have heard the CO is a pain to work with one hand though...

I have heard the CO is a pain to work with one hand though...

Opposite, the one of the better features of the CO is that you can use with one hand...the jog wheel thing and the two buttons are designed for that. It's a little harder to use in a mount. The OR really needs two hands, but operated very well in a mount. I've used the OR with gloves on, not sure what the issue is?

Edited by Maingray

I have heard the CO is a pain to work with one hand though...

Opposite, the one of the better features of the CO is that you can use with one hand...the jog wheel thing and the two buttons are designed for that. It's a little harder to use in a mount. The OR really needs two hands, but operated very well in a mount. I've used the OR with gloves on, not sure what the issue is?

Sorry, I knew it was one of them. It's hard to keep the two apart! :)

I regularly do winter caching using my Oregon's touchscreen with gloves on. I have to say, it sure beats the GPSr models I've used that have the regular manual buttons, which are generally pretty small. The Oregon's touchscreen "buttons" are fairly big, and they are sensitive, and I've had no problems getting the unit to do what I want it to do even with gloves on. I've found my Oregon to be quite practical. I really enjoy using it for caching and the paperless features are really the best out there.

I've had good accuracy with mine. While I've done no scientific study on it, I seem to be finding caches quicker with less "bee dance" than previous units. I haven't noticed coords to be really far off on vary many caches I've tried. I usually get down to under 10 feet. If the coords have been way off, this is usually true of other cachers trying to find a particular cache when I go back and read the logs, so I could make an assumption it's not my unit and more of a general cache placement problem. Remember, if your GPS is way off in accuracy when finding a geocache, it could be the cache owner's GPSr used during cache placement which is at fault as much as the unit you're using to find the cache with, so determining accuracy by how close you are to a cache placement is at best prone to a LOT of variables. You have to take any comments like this with a grain of salt.

I have heard many negatives about the CO and some rumors that Garmin may be dropping support for them, so I'd check into those threads and find out if this is fact or not before buying.

I rarely hear any negatives about the 60CSx. From what I could see, it is a real workhorse and what most geocachers around here use, and they all seem to love and have good things to say about their units. It was the other device I had narrowed my choices down to besides the Oregon of all the ones I looked at when making a buying decsion. I actually had one sent out and tried it before deciding on the Oregon. End use for me (mostly geocaching) dictated which one I chose, because the Oregon really kicks the 60CSx's butt on paperless geocaching. Now, on the other hand, if I was only doing a little geocaching and more regular hiking, hunting, etc., things might have gone a completely different way for me.

I'm not necessarily pro-Garmin, because I think pretty much every GPS manufacturer out there these days has some devices which are great, some good but not great and pretty much all of them can help you find caches. I looked at pretty much everything before narrowing my choices down. But I'm on a Mac, and Garmin has the best Mac support which made a difference to me, plus a number of other factors.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

I regularly do winter caching using my Oregon's touchscreen with gloves on. I have to say, it sure beats the GPSr models I've used that have the regular manual buttons, which are generally pretty small. The Oregon's touchscreen "buttons" are fairly big, and they are sensitive, and I've had no problems getting the unit to do what I want it to do even with gloves on. I've found my Oregon to be quite practical. I really enjoy using it for caching and the paperless features are really the best out there.

I've had good accuracy with mine. While I've done no scientific study on it, I seem to be finding caches quicker with less "bee dance" than previous units. I haven't noticed coords to be really far off on vary many caches I've tried. I usually get down to under 10 feet. If the coords have been way off, this is usually true of other cachers trying to find a particular cache when I go back and read the logs, so I could make an assumption it's not my unit and more of a general cache placement problem. Remember, if your GPS is way off in accuracy when finding a geocache, it could be the cache owner's GPSr used during cache placement which is at fault as much as the unit you're using to find the cache with, so determining accuracy by how close you are to a cache placement is at best prone to a LOT of variables. You have to take any comments like this with a grain of salt.

I have heard many negatives about the CO and some rumors that Garmin may be dropping support for them, so I'd check into those threads and find out if this is fact or not before buying.

I rarely hear any negatives about the 60CSx. From what I could see, it is a real workhorse and what most geocachers around here use, and they all seem to love and have good things to say about their units. It was the other device I had narrowed my choices down to besides the Oregon of all the ones I looked at when making a buying decsion. I actually had one sent out and tried it before deciding on the Oregon. End use for me (mostly geocaching) dictated which one I chose, because the Oregon really kicks the 60CSx's butt on paperless geocaching. Now, on the other hand, if I was only doing a little geocaching and more regular hiking, hunting, etc., things might have gone a completely different way for me.

I'm not necessarily pro-Garmin, because I think pretty much every GPS manufacturer out there these days has some devices which are great, some good but not great and pretty much all of them can help you find caches. I looked at pretty much everything before narrowing my choices down. But I'm on a Mac, and Garmin has the best Mac support which made a difference to me, plus a number of other factors.

BlueDamsel

Perhaps the touch screen wouldn't make a difference with mittens on... have you had problems with fogging? How cold have you used it- -40?

Now on the Magellan side- IS it possible to transfer cords to it like the Garmin? I don't quite understand the whole thing, so dumb it down for me, eh? I seem to be able to find more Magellan where I live and cheaper too, and I liked ours.

Perhaps the touch screen wouldn't make a difference with mittens on... have you had problems with fogging? How cold have you used it- -40?

Now on the Magellan side- IS it possible to transfer cords to it like the Garmin? I don't quite understand the whole thing, so dumb it down for me, eh? I seem to be able to find more Magellan where I live and cheaper too, and I liked ours.

I haven't had any problems with fogging whatsoever. As for temps, yes, we're in the middle of winter here, but I could not answer your question as it hasn't been a cold one. Most days I've used it have been somewhere between 20 and 45 degrees. I'd say the maximum I've used it down to is maybe 0 degrees, but not in the minuses, so I couldn't say how well it performs at temperatures as low as -40. (I'd guess you'd have more problems with your NiMH batteries working at those temps and a worry about the screen would be secondary.) I am curious, after you ask this question, if Garmin has actually tested the touch screen at such low temperatures. Around here, it's not a factor that it works or doesn't work at -40... the lowest recorded temperature in my state is around -50, but I can tell you that that would be a big news item if it got that cold :laughing: . Usually our colder winters might see a few days of temperatures down to around -5/-10.

I am not sure what you mean about transferring coordinates to the Magellan, as I'm not sure how their systems work. I do know that on the Oregon, getting cache coordinates, or any coordinates - waypoints, POIs, etc - is probably easier than on any other GPS device I've ever used. I really love being able to drag and drop to the Oregon's memory as if it was a thumb drive. It's pretty straightforward. I also like entering coordinates manually with a touchscreen a LOT more than on devices using a button/scroll system. All the letters and numbers are right there and you can type directly on them eliminating the need to scroll or tab over to each one manually and then press an enter key to get it into the system.

....AS FOR THE MITTEN ISSUE AND THE GARMIN OREGON NOT BEING AN OPTION......I LIVE IN WEST MICHIGAN. THIS IS AN EASY FIX. IF YOU MUST WEAR GLOVES, AND YOU, LIKE ME, LIKE THE OREGON, THEN JUST BUY THESE:

6601_8990.jpg

YOU CAN FLIP THE MITTEN OVER THE TOP, AND REMOVE ONE HAND TYPE, WHEN YOU NEED TO, THEN COVER THE TIPS BACK UP. YOU CAN GET THESE ANYWHERE AND IN WOOLD ETC. THSE ARE FISHING ONES...

EASY FIX.:laughing:

Edited by WHO-DEY