Most Interesting Road Sign While Geocaching

Headhardhat

First, I'll show you the sign, then I'll explain it.....

sign_water.jpg

What you don't see is the trail that follows the pond bank to the left. But, at the angle the sign is posted, it looks like there's only one known person that could use "foot traffic". :D;)

We both doubled over in laughter when we saw this.

Later!

My internets are running veeeeerrrrrrry sloooooooowwwwwwwwwly at work today, so I'm just going to post a couple.

frog.jpg

This one's near Kloster Erbach, on the Rhein near Wiesbaden, but they're all over Germany. Frog crossing is actually pretty dangerous, they tend to slick up the roads during mating season if they're run over. So during mating season, the roads are lined with miles and miles (ok, kilometers and kilometers) of short fabric fences to block them from the roads.

pandapas1.jpg

From a park near Blacksburg, Virginia.

I don't have a picture but my all time favorite sign that is quite common in Florida reads..

DO NOT MOLEST ALLIGATORS

DoNotMolest.jpg

That reminds me of a sign I saw at a newish going to be rail trail and boat launch park area. Listed off things to do and not do includingg, DO NOT MOLEST ANIMALS.

Apparently there is an issue with this? lol.

One in Waterton, AB was a lizard crossing sign

When I first saw that sign, I scratched my head. Did they really expect drivers to notice a salamander crossing the road and swerve/break to avoid running it over. Then I noticed that the "crossing" was a tunnel beneath the road. I guess the sign's purpose is simply to publicize the project.

Here's a link that provides more details. The actual road sign only has a salamander silhouette -- no words.

When we were visiting England and Wales, we were surprised to see Red Squirrel crossing signs. Red squirrels are a dime a dozen in Alberta, but it's a declining species in Great Britain.

cons_threats_roadsign.jpg

So I was geocaching in New Brunswik last week. I saw several of these signs. (I didn't take this picture)

4850150158_1f417082e3.jpg

Turns out that it is a fiddlehead sign. Not sure if that means there are fiddleheads near by to pick...?

I wouldn't be able to tell you why the sign has a fiddlehead on it, but I can tell you what it means.

It indicates the River Valley Scenic Drive. The Scenic Drive follows the Trans-Canada hiwgway pretty closely in some parts, but as the name indicates it follows the river and the scenery is better :)

So I was geocaching in New Brunswik last week. I saw several of these signs. (I didn't take this picture)

4850150158_1f417082e3.jpg

Turns out that it is a fiddlehead sign. Not sure if that means there are fiddleheads near by to pick...?

Definitely prime fiddlehead country that! Pick or buy, they are there and delicious!

Doug 7rxc

Wish I had taken pictures, but there was construction and there was also driving to do. Just do a Google Image Search for "PennDOT Meadville, PA" and marvel at the sculpture garden/fence that is made entirely from roadsigns at the PennDOT facility there. It's over a 1/4 mile long, I believe. Every time you drive by you see new details.

Edited by Dr_Gravity