Most Interesting Road Sign While Geocaching

Headhardhat

We seem to have "speed humps" scattered all around the Cincinnati, OH area; there are even a few a few blocks away from my house.

On to the weird/interesting/amusing sign:

51204fcf-7b8a-4025-a39b-cc770c6c5f8b.jpg

What is interesting is that this was in the community of West Harrison, IN (very near GC179BG), which is divided from Harrison, OH by State St -- the OH/IN state line runs right down the middle of the road in this area.

Interesting point #2: if you're going to break the law by committing a rolling stop, then save some money and do it in Harrison -- it'll only cost you $65 there! :D

Just outside my old home town of Brentwood, Essex, England is an official sign pointing to "Secret Nuclear Bunker." A pub we used to frequent as students in Portsmouth, Hampshire was the "Fawcett Inn." The street I lived on for most of my life in the UK was Hanging Hill Lane.

Thanks for the great topic and pictures...must take my camera with me at all geocaching times from now on!

Here's a couple from the day I found the original stash tribute cache. The first is in the cache vicinity:

DSC_0268.jpg

English fine, Spanish I could see why, but Russian??? Was there a deal on extra languages on the sign or something?! Do many Russians travel to Oregon to dump trash?

Next is a sign we drove by, then just had to pull over and take some pictures:

DSC_0296.jpg

A friend may have photoshopped this a bit, but it was an appropriate picture for the World Dumbest Sign cache. The actual sign there seems like it was rather dumb, stating. "Please do not post signs on this property."

8b86c525-a936-4fe8-ae81-48de32d1d726.jpg

I can see how this one is a proper sign.

You are driving on a one way street and come to a "T" with this sign. You can go either right or left on a one way road/street. The sign is telling you not to worry about any oncoming traffic. Makes sense to me.

A friend may have photoshopped this a bit, but it was an appropriate picture for the World Dumbest Sign cache. The actual sign there seems like it was rather dumb, stating. "Please do not post signs on this property."

You are driving on a one way street and come to a "T" with this sign. You can go either right or left on a one way road/street. The sign is telling you not to worry about any oncoming traffic. Makes sense to me.

Why? Why would you take a harmless funny picture and bludgeon it with a reasoned explanation? :(

Why? Why would you take a harmless funny picture and bludgeon it with a reasoned explanation? :D

Look closely.............

BECAUSE somebody trying to figure out the sign, crashed into the telephone junction box! That's why!

I didn't take a picture but one I didn't get was along the Great River Road near Maiden Rock, WI. For some odd reason, there was a short 250' or so segment of curbing along the road where everything before and after the curbing was just your run of the mill ditch. But the interesting thing was there was a sign at one end that said "Curb Starts Here" and at the other end a sign that said "Curb Ends Here". Uhh, ok, thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't take a picture but one I didn't get was along the Great River Road near Maiden Rock, WI. For some odd reason, there was a short 250' or so segment of curbing along the road where everything before and after the curbing was just your run of the mill ditch. But the interesting thing was there was a sign at one end that said "Curb Starts Here" and at the other end a sign that said "Curb Ends Here". Uhh, ok, thanks for pointing that out.

Sounds almost like a stimulus job. :laughing:

I ran across this one on a recent cache run. Really, would somebody even try to get a truck down this road? For starters, it is a dead end road that runs parallel to a perfectly good 4-lane state highway. And this picture was taken at the widest point in the road. Around the bend it becomes steep, narrow, and rutted. My car made it through with a little finesse, but a semi would never make it. And once reached the end I found myself in Deliverance. Dogs laid in the road and barely lifted their heads as I passed. Old pickups sat on mossy cinderblocks. Women with beehive hairdoos stared at me from behind the blinds of trailer windows. The shotgun holes in the sign were just icing on the cake.

ec886f1f-fe18-4146-b206-e6e7a445c3fd.jpg

Here's a couple from the day I found the original stash tribute cache. The first is in the cache vicinity:

DSC_0268.jpg

English fine, Spanish I could see why, but Russian??? Was there a deal on extra languages on the sign or something?! Do many Russians travel to Oregon to dump trash?

They dont travel to Oregon to dump trash, they already live here. Lots of Old Believer Russians and Russian immigrants in the Willamette Valley. All of my encounters with them have shown they are a source for CITO. Have yet to meet one that doesnt believe in their God-given right to dump trash wherever they walk in the woods.

Edited by bramasoleiowa