Most Interesting Road Sign While Geocaching

Headhardhat

Saw this one while caching in Burlington, VT. Yes, I needed to turn left to get to the cache!

your-other-left.jpg

Uhhhh... your OTHER left ??

Another photo taken the same day in Vermont. Not a street sign, but a very interesting sculpture.

which-hydrant.jpg

FIRE!!! Uhhhh... which... uhhh...??????

And, this one I saw on the New York thruway on my way back to Michigan.

This was the 3rd or 4th of this sign I saw, and finally had my camera in hand

for a quick photo (hence the blur).

huh.jpg

Need to wash the windshield? Turn on those lights!

:D

And, this one I saw on the New York thruway on my way back to Michigan.

This was the 3rd or 4th of this sign I saw, and finally had my camera in hand

for a quick photo (hence the blur).

huh.jpg

We have the same law in California but no signs.

Same law here in Illinois too - Turn on your headlights when operating your wipers.

It's a good law. I almost got run over by a car that didn't have it's lights on on a rainy overcast morning. I was walking across the road in front of my house with my 5 year old son and didn't even see the car coming down the hill until I was almost halfway across the road.

In North Carolina (or maybe it's Tennessee?) the signs say "burn headlights when raining" which I think is more accurate. What if I were driving in the rain but not using my windshield wipers because I use rain-x and the water just beads off when driving at high speeds? Could that get me out of a ticket? ("but I didn't have my lights on because I wasn't using the windshield wipers! I didn't need them!")

edit: after a thousand posts or so you think I'd know how to properly quote.

Edited by DavidMac

Saw this one while caching in Burlington, VT. Yes, I needed to turn left to get to the cache!

your-other-left.jpg

Uhhhh... your OTHER left ??

that isn't in burlington.

anyway, it was much funnier before they put in the jug handle, but some spoilsport got tired of scraping up remains from all the collisions involving left turns on route 7.

ah, memories... gone are the sweet days of twisted metal and charred flesh in which foreigners didn't come and make jokes about the jughandles.

there actually IS a similar jughandle in burlington (on route 2), but it has a lot to do with the even more amusing topic of ambulances trying to get to the hospital across a road that wasn't really designed to hold that much traffic.

you may also have been baffled that exit 14-w off of I-89 doesn't actually exit west! it's a cloverleaf interchange and YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO TURN TO THE EAST in order to get onto route 2 west.

we have lots of similar traffic anomalies that will supply you with hours and hours of entertainment.

Another photo taken the same day in Vermont. Not a street sign, but a very interesting sculpture.

which-hydrant.jpg

FIRE!!! Uhhhh... which... uhhh...??????[/url]

it's from a series of whimsical sculptures. a bunch of our old firehouses are now galleries.

Edited by flask

In North Carolina (or maybe it's Tennessee?) the signs say "burn headlights when raining" which I think is more accurate. What if I were driving in the rain but not using my windshield wipers because I use rain-x and the water just beads off when driving at high speeds? Could that get me out of a ticket? ("but I didn't have my lights on because I wasn't using the windshield wipers! I didn't need them!")

edit: after a thousand posts or so you think I'd know how to properly quote.

Yeaaaah......at'll work -- give it a test.

Folks who can't deduce the "headlight law" is to make your moving vehicle more visible in bad seeing conditions (ie, rain), NEED to be locked away in a jail somewhere!

~*

I don't have a photo handy at the moment but I saw a sign that was a cow. It was like a deer crossing sign but had the out line of a cow instead of a deer.

Oh yeah...we have those all over here in Wisconsin. Many farmers have grazing pastures for their livestock that are on the opposite side of the road from where their main farmland is. Therefore, it is often necessary for them to herd several of them together and do a sort of cattle drive right across the highway. Heck, there's even a guy here on the edge of town that has a tunnel underneath the highway for his cattle to move so that he doesn't have to herd them. They just move back and forth at their own free will. It's actually pretty cool to see.

I don't have a photo handy at the moment but I saw a sign that was a cow. It was like a deer crossing sign but had the out line of a cow instead of a deer.

Oh yeah...we have those all over here in Wisconsin. Many farmers have grazing pastures for their livestock that are on the opposite side of the road from where their main farmland is. Therefore, it is often necessary for them to herd several of them together and do a sort of cattle drive right across the highway. Heck, there's even a guy here on the edge of town that has a tunnel underneath the highway for his cattle to move so that he doesn't have to herd them. They just move back and forth at their own free will. It's actually pretty cool to see.

I'm pretty sure it's in Banff National Park in Alberta where they built an overpass for wildlife to use so they don't have to cross the highway, and the wildlife actually uses it.

In a park in Vancouver BC.

100_3425M.JPG

i am not certain of this sign's point.

do they want us to feed the ducks? why not just skip the middleman and feed the rats?

is there a connection between ducks and rats? what happens to the ducks if you feed the rats? do the ducks get to take over?

most of all, where is this park?

i have a bag of purina rat chow.

In a park in Vancouver BC.

100_3425M.JPG

i am not certain of this sign's point.

do they want us to feed the ducks? why not just skip the middleman and feed the rats?

is there a connection between ducks and rats? what happens to the ducks if you feed the rats? do the ducks get to take over?

most of all, where is this park?

i have a bag of purina rat chow.

I'm a little outraged by this reply. Obviously the almighty THEY do not want the lowly US feeding the ducks. But just like puzzle caches, some play by different rules. So this is an attempt to get those that would not pay heed to sign a stating not to feed the ducks THEY hope we will pay attention to this sign not to feed the ducks. The very first sentence in the post stated the park was in Vancouver, B.C.

Jim

Not found while caching - I was visiting my son (USMC) and we were out exploring and found this crossing sign.

Definitely would give them the right away!!!!

We waited around to see if we would be able to see the actual beasts but unfortunately none showed up!!

Bill

Pahrump, NV

Tank%20crossing.JPG

Looks like the Yuma Proving Grounds! Have been there, but not caching yet. I guess next trip to Yuma

I'm a little outraged by this reply. Obviously the almighty THEY do not want the lowly US feeding the ducks. But just like puzzle caches, some play by different rules. So this is an attempt to get those that would not pay heed to sign a stating not to feed the ducks THEY hope we will pay attention to this sign not to feed the ducks. The very first sentence in the post stated the park was in Vancouver, B.C.

Jim

my, what a clever rejoinder.

i was under the impression that vancouver covered more territory than a pinprick. if i go there, i will find just this one park, i suppose.

"where is this park?"

"vancouver."

"yes, but where in vancouver?"

"the first sentence stated that it was in vancouver."

"oh, well. that's much more precise, then."

Jim

my, what a clever rejoinder.

i was under the impression that vancouver covered more territory than a pinprick. if i go there, i will find just this one park, i suppose.

"where is this park?"

"vancouver."

"yes, but where in vancouver?"

"the first sentence stated that it was in vancouver."

"oh, well. that's much more precise, then."

I believe it was Mundy Park in Vancouver. Actually to be more precise, Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver.

In Berkeley, CA you are simultaneously on I-80 east and I-580 west!

This is called a "concurrency" and leads to some interesting combinations. My personal favorite is the road on the Oklahoma/Arkansas border which is both an east/west Oklahoma state highway and a north/south Arkansas highway. The Wikipedia article on highway concurrencies has a picture of it about halfway down the page.

Two other favorites of mine are the stretch of interstate in Virginia that is North 81 and South 77 (there's a picture of the sign on that same wiki article) and the bridge over the Mississippi river in Memphis which is simultaneously I-55 and US highways 61, 70, and 79.

I mean, come on!

We all know that micros are lame, especially drive by ones, but to have a highway sign for one???

729635e1-fd73-4351-a063-cefe8d23e462.jpg

See on 95 driving past, you guessed it, Micro NC. (Sorry for the poor photo, it was night and raining.)

oh, that's just screaming for a film canister.

I mean, come on!

We all know that micros are lame, especially drive by ones, but to have a highway sign for one???

See on 95 driving past, you guessed it, Micro NC. (Sorry for the poor photo, it was night and raining.)

OMG!!! :) We drove past that sign on our way from Orlando to Woodbridge VA this past Dec. My husband said that he had wanted to get a picture of it on the way home. 7 days later on the return trip home, we forgot about it until we were almost on top of it. Didn't have the camera ready. :anicute:

Didja tuck your hair up under yer hat,

go in & ask him why?

OOoo-oh!

I can't decide which version I like better..the original or the re-make by Tesla.

AB3

Huge Tesla fan here. Even with them singing it I can not take that song! The whole message just grates on me.

OK, as for signs. My mother told me of one she saw in downtown Memphis years ago. It said Flashers Must Be Operating. Brought up images of guys in trench coats getting a ticket for not operating!

Keeping with the potty talk theme..

There is a major road in Troy, Michigan off of I-75 called "Big Beaver" :)

wanna guess the exit number?

Yup... Exit 69 :anicute:

Will have to have one of my brothers take a photo and send down to me.

-HHH :o

Ya didn't give a Troll a chance!

bbroad.jpg

That would be the one!!! Ah memories, I used to work at Kmart Headquarters in Troy and frequently went by this sign.. Lovin' it!

Thanks for sending from one Troll to the Next...

As soon as I read this topic, I immediately thought of Exit 69. You guys beat me to it. I was going to say/post that one!!! Another fav of mine used to be in Michigan's Upper Pennisula. There was a bill board with a picture of a deer, bear, duck, etc., etc., that read "There is room for all God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes."

I mean, come on!

oh, that's just screaming for a film canister.

Actually, I think a 55 gallon barrel drum would be better.