The end of Geocaching...

JBnW

Ok, I'll admit I've only been around here for a short-while, but I've been doing my best not to type this post for too long. This is an invitation for all to discuss what situations would bring about an end to this game, and what can be done to prevent that from happening.

Since I've been around, and sorry for not doing a search for all the relevant threads, we've had:

A cache in an abandoned industrial area: Detonated

A cache in a railroad right-of-way (is that correct?): Detonated

A cache at an airport: Detonated

A cache at an I-70 rest stop in the-middle-of-nowhere-Kansas: Detonated

(BTW, it's only 40 miles from where we live, we can get away with that) :laughing:

A cache at a Wally World: Detonated

I see that heli12345 reports in a post in a current thread of 5 others. I'm sure I'm missing more....and more.... and more.....

The point is; as the game grows, our interaction with non-participants will surely increase, as will the calls of

"suspicious persons, suspicious activities" which will inevitably conclude with: Detonations. I'm not assigning blame to anyone here, just observing what is going on. As this continues, nothing good (for us) will come of it! Sooner or later, someone will place a cache in the wrong place], and legislation will be forced upon us! It is the way of things. Feel free to discuss this.

But what is the suggestion to prevent this from happening? From what I've seen, two things. Rely on volunteer reviewers (who do a great job IMO) to apply guidelines for cache placement. I don't want to question the Reviewer's performance at all, but as they continue to do their tasks, our interaction with non-participants will increase. And second, a grassroots effort from the participants to go to the local LE, FD, Bomb Squads, whoever, etc, and educate them about what these containers are and of their harmless nature. To those who have succeeded in this, my congratulations. But I wonder how much good it will be on the next "suspicious person, suspicious activity, suspicious container" call they get. Do we really expect them to just walk up and open the container to confirm the contents are all McToys? Or do we fully expect more detonations?

I don't want to leave this as just another rant. I invite all to provide their experiences, insight, wisdom and suggestions as to how to keep this game going without requiring the participation of local bomb squads, needless panic, and the senseless detonation of tupperware.

I'll go first: GS could get a "1-800-lilly-pad" phone number, staffed 24/7 by somone who can access all published caches, to provide "Frog-certified" :laughing: locations of published caches to any bomb squad who wanted to know. Require this number to be placed on the outside of the cache so that any bomb squad robot can see it, and make an active effort to get this information out to the bombsquads not only in a grassroots fashion, but from the top-down as well.

Anyone else??

Traffic Counter Blown Up.

Woopie Cushion delays bus.

Exotic Food shuts down airport.

Star Wars Toys, shuts down airport.

Flashlight creates panic.

Inert Training Explosives (with full disclosure and a permit) causes a disruption.

Golf Ball Radar Gizmo creates an incident.

Personal Effects in a box in a truck rouse authorities.

While I may be off on the magnitude of response (I'm going off the top of my head here). Each of these items has been the target of a "offical effort" by some sort of legal authority.

False alarms happen. It's life.

As for keeping this game going without the intervention. "Hide it so muggles don't find it". Simple as that. Hard as that. Our MO and the MO of evil people bent on causing real harm is utterly different.

Edited by Renegade Knight
The end of Geocaching... What's Gonna Bring it?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Groundspeak Announces Change in Forum Moderators

Seattle, December 20, 2012 Groundspeak, the premiere online provider of GPS gaming activities, today announced a change in its Moderating Team for the popular Groundspeak Forums. Groundspeak's online discussion forum provides its more than 5,000,000 active users with the opportunity to discuss all aspects of the Groundspeak suite of websites: Geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo, Trackables, Live.Geocaching, Letterboxing and Where's Signal? .

Named today to the position of Global Forum Moderator is Vinny, of the Vinny & Sue Team from Maryland. "We feel that Vinny will breathe new life into the Groundspeak Forums, bringing a fresh perspective to what had become a mechanical process of closing and moving discussion threads," said a Groundspeak representative.

Vinny replaces outgoing Global Forum Moderators, mtn-man of Georgia and Keystone of Pennsylvania. Both have left to pursue other interests, some of which involve milk bones and hamsters. "We thank them for their more than nine years of dedicated service," Groundspeak said. "We are sorry to see mtn-man and Keystone move on, and we wish them every success. Still, we at Groundspeak are excited about the future. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?"

For further information, contact:

Groundspeak Marketing Department

Seattle, WA

- 30 -

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Seattle, December 20, 2012 Groundspeak, the premiere online provider of GPS gaming activities, today announced a change in its Moderating Team for the popular Groundspeak Forums. Groundspeak's online discussion forum provides its more than 5,000,000 active users with the opportunity to discuss all aspects of the Groundspeak suite of websites: Geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo, Trackables, Live.Geocaching, Letterboxing and Where's Signal? .

Named today to the position of Global Forum Moderator is Vinny, of the Vinny & Sue Team from Maryland. "We feel that Vinny will breathe new life into the Groundspeak Forums, bringing a fresh perspective to what had become a mechanical process of closing and moving discussion threads," said a Groundspeak representative.

Vinny replaces outgoing Global Forum Moderators, mtn-man of Georgia and Keystone of Pennsylvania. Both have left to pursue other interests, some of which involve milk bones and hamsters. "We thank them for their more than nine years of dedicated service," Groundspeak said. "We are sorry to see mtn-man and Keystone move on, and we wish them every success. Still, we at Groundspeak are excited about the future. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?"

Seattle, WA

- 30 -

Geocaching without mtn-man and Keystone? Yep, that'd be the end of geocaching!

I agree that there will always be false alarms. But I think we can minimize them by making sure we put labels on our cache containers. With the invention of the Lock 'n' Lock, it's easy to find a good solid container that you can look into and see what's inside. It stands to reason that a clear box that's got a label on it, with a link to the website, is less likely to be blown up than an unmarked ammo can.

I thought Snoogans was going to be the death of geocaching? Something about a nefarious plot involving gobs of micros?

That is correct. There is documented prophecy to that end by multiple sources. The effects are being felt on the left coast as I write. It seems that my O.D.S. caches have destroyed the very caching spirit in one local geocontinuum. Reliable reports have declared that Santa has died in collateral damage from the fallout of O.D.S. :laughing:

I'm currently working on a plan to take geocaching ALL the way down on ALL cache listing services and nail the Tooth Fairey and the Easter Bunny with the shrapnel. :laughing::laughing:

SantaDead.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Seattle, WA

- 30 -

Don't sweat it. The entire world will end the very next day according to the Mayan Callendar. :laughing:

Named today to the position of Global Forum Moderator is Vinny, of the Vinny & Sue Team from Maryland.

Actually, with Vinny as moderator, that's the end of the geocaching.com forums (other than the off-topic forum, which will flourish) and not geocaching.

Reliable reports have declared that Santa has died in collateral damage from the fallout of O.D.S.

And he hates kittens! This guy should be stopped! There aughta be a law! :laughing:

I DO NOT hate kittens. That has been misreported. In fact, I LOVE kittens. Kittens taste just like rabbit and are much easier to catch, but you have to cook them a little bit longer and it takes a few to make a meal. :laughing:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Seattle, WA

- 30 -

Yes. True; all true. Thank you, Groundspeak, for the fact that you will have done the needful on December 20, 2012, the eve of the end of the world.

I agree that there will always be false alarms. But I think we can minimize them by making sure we put labels on our cache containers. With the invention of the Lock 'n' Lock, it's easy to find a good solid container that you can look into and see what's inside. It stands to reason that a clear box that's got a label on it, with a link to the website, is less likely to be blown up than an unmarked ammo can.

Face it... your enemies won :-) Many countries are in a continued state of fear for what might happen.

People will accept everything given the argument "can we afford to be wrong?".

I'd say many people find it perfectly acceptable in various fields to not take any risk. Just detonate, it's safer than being right 99.9% of the time.

Not quite so tongue in cheek, Xaa is right, the terrorists, whether they be religious extremists from someplace else, domestic crazies from your own town, or media trying to gain viewer share or readership, they all have the world terrified. Every unknown container is a bomb, every peanut is poisonous, water, food and air all cause cancer, high blood pressure and aids. I for one refuse to be scared, and figure my chances of surviving all of the scaries are excellent. I'm gonna cache on, continue to eat pretty much what I like, and generally live my life in spite of it all. Being afraid of everything is just going to take the joy out of life, and I'm not going to let it.

hairball

I thought Snoogans was going to be the death of geocaching? Something about a nefarious plot involving gobs of micros?

I must say that the actions and activities of the one known as Snoogans are inscrutable and indecipherable, and seemingly without rhyme or reason; when Snoogans is afoot, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above to tinker with the nature of reality on our plane of existence.

Named today to the position of Global Forum Moderator is Vinny, of the Vinny & Sue Team from Maryland.

He managed to snag Jeremy's soul in a Miracle Whip jar? dang, he's better than I thought....

I hope he falls out of love with the "occult hand....sky" thing PDQ. Though it might be a more effective moderating tool then those wimpy 3 day time outs.

On topic, what RK said what Xaa said.

No end in sight, really.

I must say that the actions and activities of the one known as Snoogans are inscrutable and indecipherable, and seemingly without rhyme or reason; when Snoogans is afoot, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above to tinker with the nature of reality on our plane of existence.

You rang?

... Sooner or later, someone will place a cache in the wrong place], and legislation will be forced upon us!
This is brought up in pretty much every one of these 'sky-is-falling' threads. Fortunately, it could never happen. How could legislation be written to forbid me from placing a cache on land that I control and inviting you to find it.
... It stands to reason that a clear box that's got a label on it, with a link to the website, is less likely to be blown up than an unmarked ammo can.
Of course, many more clear caches have been esploded than ammo cans.

Great post. Still laughing.

As long as Selective Availability remains in the OFF position (if it's ever turned on again we'll have at best 100-ft precision), as long as the Internet remains functional, as long as the US military continues to launch satelites, and as long as the global economy allows enough excess wealth for people to purchase semi-expensive toys, then geocaching will continue.

That doesn't mean it won't continue to evolve and change, it doesn't mean that www.geocaching.com will always and forever be the predominant cache listing site, and it doesn't mean that people who started in one era won't proclaim that "geocaching is dead" right before quitting because of all the changes.

Hijacked on post #3 by the Clan Riffster.

Hold up there buckaroo. Are you saying that this thread ISN'T about me? :)

:blink::D:D:D:D:):):laughing:

A cache at an I-70 rest stop in the-middle-of-nowhere-Kansas: Detonated

(BTW, it's only 40 miles from where we live, we can get away with that) :laughing:

I'm wondering where you heard about this one. It's my brother's, so I've got all the good inside scoop.

For those that don't know:

In a hedgerow at the back of a rest area. Found by Dept of Transportation employees, including some that the owner used to share an office with. Bomb squad came out, contacted another cacher who is a county sherriff's officer (and whose brother is not only another LEO, but the Kansas caching admin). They x-rayed the cache and still blew it up. Police talked to my brother and they expressed concern not that it was a bomb, but that a bomb could be placed in there (if someone was actually intent on doing some damage, wouldn't they have done it somewhere else in the rest area, such as blowing up a toilet?). Said they might send him a bill, but hasn't yet received one. Bomb squad guy was probably just playing the power card.

Police talked to my brother and they expressed concern not that it was a bomb, but that a bomb could be placed in there

What a silly thing to say. Do you suppose they go up and down the highway blowing up every bit of garbage that "could" potentially have a bomb in it. Not likely. Though you didn't say what kind of container it was. An ammo can and anything with camo tape on it looks a little scary to non-geocachers. I think we forget that.

I think it's true that once a bomb-squad gets called everything pretty much gets blown up regardless. After all, the bomb squad would look pretty stupid if they decided something was harmless and it blew up.

Police talked to my brother and they expressed concern not that it was a bomb, but that a bomb could be placed in there

What a silly thing to say. Do you suppose they go up and down the highway blowing up every bit of garbage that "could" potentially have a bomb in it. Not likely. Though you didn't say what kind of container it was. An ammo can and anything with camo tape on it looks a little scary to non-geocachers. I think we forget that.

I think it's true that once a bomb-squad gets called everything pretty much gets blown up regardless. After all, the bomb squad would look pretty stupid if they decided something was harmless and it blew up.

That was my thought. Go along interstate out here and you'll find all sorts of stuff. A lot of coolers. Some probably innocently fell off of vehicles, but many are likely mobile meth labs. After Memorial Day, Labor Day, and 4th of July are good times to look around interstate, btw. Lots of lifejackets, fishing poles, inner tubes, etc to be had for free.

The cache was an ammocan marked as a geocache.

Not quite so tongue in cheek, Xaa is right, the terrorists, whether they be religious extremists from someplace else, domestic crazies from your own town, or media trying to gain viewer share or readership, they all have the world terrified. Every unknown container is a bomb, every peanut is poisonous, water, food and air all cause cancer, high blood pressure and aids. I for one refuse to be scared, and figure my chances of surviving all of the scaries are excellent. I'm gonna cache on, continue to eat pretty much what I like, and generally live my life in spite of it all. Being afraid of everything is just going to take the joy out of life, and I'm not going to let it.

hairball

I've survived quite a few caches recently. I've come to learn that they're just an inevitable part of life, as and such, I'm not going to worry about them.

Yes, this topic has been gone over before, but digging up ancient threads doesn't seem to be good form. If new threads can't be created to discuss things that have been discussed before than I guess if you missed it the first time around then you are out of luck and can't join in. Since everything that can be said has already been, then perhaps the forums should all be made read only. :laughing:

I don't see an end to geocaching any time soon, but it does seem that more and more caches are being 'sploded by bomb squads. It's a common thought that the bomb squads are justifying next year's budget, so they need to blow something up. Geocaches make a convenient target. Any legislation that would come out of this would be city our county wide and would hardly end geocaching.

The OP mentioned possibly starting a grass roots movement to educate local law enforcement of what geocaching is. Great idea. It won't solve the problem, but it will certainly help. I have been considering doing exactly this in my hometown. I know that the Parks and Rec deparment are very approachable, so that might be a good place to start.

Milwaukee Co. has a permit policy for any caches in their parks. I haven't heard very much griping about it, so I can only guess it's working well. This won't keep a cache from getting blowed up, but with this type of interaction between cachers and the county, it's harder for anyone to claim ingnorance. Milwaukee has a pretty high cache density, and I don't recall hearing about a cache/bomb squad incident there. I am NOT advocating the requirement of permits everywhere, but rather that there be more interaction between "us" and "them".

Yes, this topic has been gone over before, but digging up ancient threads doesn't seem to be good form. If new threads can't be created to discuss things that have been discussed before than I guess if you missed it the first time around then you are out of luck and can't join in. Since everything that can be said has already been, then perhaps the forums should all be made read only. :)

I agree, but the history link is always good to have IMO. Even Markwell has pretty much cut out the practice that was named for him based on the "we already discussed this" premis....

I don't see an end to geocaching any time soon, but it does seem that more and more caches are being 'sploded by bomb squads. It's a common thought that the bomb squads are justifying next year's budget, so they need to blow something up. Geocaches make a convenient target. Any legislation that would come out of this would be city our county wide and would hardly end geocaching.

Ordinance guys get paid to blow stuff up. Nuff said...

You won't see an end to geocaching in your lifetime. Before GC there was letterboxing FOR DECADES. Geocaching hasn't even been around 1 decade.

Caching itself goes back into prehistoric times.

I posted a speculative discussion a few years ago on what I foresee as the future of geocaching as we know it: The Mainstream Event Horizon.

Every day we get a tiny step closer..... It will be many years more before we get there... I think.

However,

Riddle me this Batman: What if the Obama Girls said they loved to go geocaching? :P:D

The OP mentioned possibly starting a grass roots movement to educate local law enforcement of what geocaching is. Great idea. It won't solve the problem, but it will certainly help. I have been considering doing exactly this in my hometown. I know that the Parks and Rec deparment are very approachable, so that might be a good place to start.

If you are an outspoken advocate for geocaching, your Parks and Rec staff need to have your number. My local P&R directors have had my number since 2004.

I also work closely with police in my job as well as training with them. From my own personal experience, they are less likely to take interest unless the sport appeals to them personally regardless if it might help them to know about it. Cut out the middle man and go straight to the bomb squad to start the awareness campaign. I have been trying to do that for a couple years now. I'll report back if I ever get anywhere with it.

I also work closely with police in my job as well as training with them. From my own personal experience, they are less likely to take interest unless the sport appeals to them personally regardless if it might help them to know about it. Cut out the middle man and go straight to the bomb squad to start the awareness campaign. I have been trying to do that for a couple years now. I'll report back if I ever get anywhere with it.

I just had to check to see if we have a bomb sqad. Our county bomb squad actually serves a big part of the state. It seems they are less likely to detonate something than some squads. Article

I'll have to consider contacting them... That would be just a little beyond my comfort zone, but worthwhile.

hairball

WooHoo! Bring on the scaries! :laughing:;);)

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

My wife hears from her mother and grandmother about all the scaries we face today. She gets the idea that because some bizarre fate befell one poor blighter it's going to happen to one of us. I spend too much time trying to explain the concepts of non-existant risk and acceptable risk to her.

As long as private property exists that I own and have any control over - there will always be at least some Geocaches available.

So only another couple years in the United States then?

Yet another scary my wife worries about.

As to "bombs" along the highway, I will say I have seen quite a few. Those gallon jugs of amber liquid aren't filled with apple juice or Bud Light you know. I havn't heard of the bomb squad blowing up these well known "Trucker Bombs". I guess once in awhile the mowing crew gets one though.......

They actually stiffened the penalties in Colorado a couple years back because of mowers hitting trucker bombs.

As to "bombs" along the highway, I will say I have seen quite a few. Those gallon jugs of amber liquid aren't filled with apple juice or Bud Light you know. I havn't heard of the bomb squad blowing up these well known "Trucker Bombs". I guess once in awhile the mowing crew gets one though.......

They actually stiffened the penalties in Colorado a couple years back because of mowers hitting trucker bombs.

They don't taste at all like apple juice either. :laughing:;)

I'd heard that when roadside cleanup crews find unidentified liquids they actually treat them as hazardous material and bring out the hazmat crews to dispose of them. If that's true it must be pretty degrading the hazmat person that gets called out. At least the bombsquad gets to blow things up when they get called for a false alarm.

The thing I fear and will be the death of geocaching as we know it is, sound of twilight zone music here, Selective Availability.

Jim

This is my answer too. All it takes is a terrorist to use the GPS against us and wham.....it'll be gone.

And all the 2012 stuff.....the solar flares or whatever you want to call them will start long before 12-21-12 but we'll be gone that day anyway :laughing: Kind of like the doomsday we experienced on 1-1-00 :laughing:

a guy got pulled off an airplane for haveing a transformers t-shirt that had optimus prime. he was pulled becouse optimus was holding a lazer gun..

but hey. whoever put a geocache in an airport isnt very bright...

how many actual bombs have been found?

Edited by Crab_Soul

There's a cacher in NE Ohio that is in law enforcement. He also teaches other officers. He has included information about caching during classes and when he has displays at conventions. So, KUDOS to Pete for taking positve steps. BTW, he told me that he meets many other cops that cache when he has a display.

a guy got pulled off an airplane for haveing a transformers t-shirt that had optimus prime. he was pulled becouse optimus was holding a lazer gun..

I thought you got to be kidding, but google turned this up :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1234193.ece

but hey. whoever put a geocache in an airport isnt very bright...

But it could be done properly...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-02a5cef15ae7