Missouri opens Conservation Department lands

Macho Man & Petite Flower

Just read the MDC news release that starting April 30th, 2009, Missouri Department of Conservation lands will be open to Geocaching and Letterboxing. It appears that they have the same special use permit rules that the Department of Natural Resources has. It seems easy enough, short form, contact the area manager and all.

At least locally we haven't had any problems with DNR, so conservation will open up some more spots in Missouri.

Just read the MDC news release that starting April 30th, 2009, Missouri Department of Conservation lands will be open to Geocaching and Letterboxing. It appears that they have the same special use permit rules that the Department of Natural Resources has. It seems easy enough, short form, contact the area manager and all.

At least locally we haven't had any problems with DNR, so conservation will open up some more spots in Missouri.

Yep but we have been hiding caches with permits on conservation land in Missouri for years. The only difference is that there is a statewide written policy for it. In the past it was always up to the area manager. Some managers liked geocaching and others didnt. Now the written policy says that it is up to the area manager so there is not a whole lot of difference .

This is good news for some and bad for others. There was one part of the state where the area manager told us that any forested area was OK and no permits were needed. It was good times. Now all those caches need permits and it has become "not so good times" in that area.

Glenn

I have a meeting scheduled with John Vogel and Teresa Kight at the Busch Wildlife headquarters this month to record a podcast about the new geocaching policy. I asked John for a podcast interview over a year ago, but he didn't want to talk about geocaching until the policy was approved. Officially it will be in effect April 3th. Teresa had a lot to do with implementing the policy.

Unfortunately, I ended the SLAGA Geocaching Podcast in July, 2008 after 3 years and 100 episodes. But I will dust off my recording equipment to get some important sound bites. I've had email correspondence with a geocacher in St. Charles County who is not pleased with the new policy because he has many existing geocaches that will have to be pulled as a result.

I've had personal experience with the hit-and-miss geocaching attitude from the Missouri Department of Conservation over the years. There are quite a few C.A. near where I live that are wonderful areas to place caches. Here is a link to one of my experiences: What is the Missouri Dept. of Conservation Geocaching Policy?

Edited by konopapw