Scavok's Compass Rose

scavok

Just an idea for now. The other side will be a rose as well, just in a different fashion.

Yes mods, if it goes through it will be trackable :laughing:

Comments, ideas, suggestions, ... ??? You all know I actually use them :laughing:

I'm thinking about keeping it line art (like it is) and filling the rose areas with transparent enamel. Likey? No Likey?

Compass.jpg

Just an idea for now. The other side will be a rose as well, just in a different fashion.

Comments, ideas, suggestions, ... ??? You all know I actually use them :laughing:

I'm thinking about keeping it line art (like it is) and filling the rose areas with transparent enamel. Likey? No Likey?

I likey, my wallet on the other hand is really starting to no likey you :laughing:

I likey, my wallet on the other hand is really starting to no likey you :laughing:

Amen!! I will, of course, probably buy at least four.

Are those roman numerals? Am I correct that they are the degrees of each point? (That's pretty cool) What about the other side?

Edited to add: if the shapes you use in between the main points line up on the other side, what about cutouts?

Edited by Jackalgirl

I like.

I'm not familiar with all the metal descriptions but satin gold with dark green and/or red and you'll have me on the hook for a couple.

Of course, I'm feeling a little lame, I've spent ALL of my allowance, I'm sitting here waiting for a Tenwar re mint, and you're burying me with new designs.

I'm telling ya, it's terrible!

It looks alot like the Journey- minus the inner banding, but that's to my untrained layman's eye!!

I would definitely be in for a few !

I likey :laughing:

Well it's round... J/K :laughing:

All my coins thus far have the same background (sort of a signature, I guess). It always looks so glaring in mint art but is very subtle in the finished product. I am planning a different compass rose on the opposite side so there won't be any cutouts (not planned anyway, one never knows for sure with these projects of mine...)

Are those roman numerals? Am I correct that they are the degrees of each point? (That's pretty cool) What about the other side?

Edited to add: if the shapes you use in between the main points line up on the other side, what about cutouts?

Don't know how I missed your post, JG!

Yep they are roman numerals. The font will probably change (these were a little too rustic I think). I doubt the mint could pull it off, but I want the coin to look as if it were minted in perfect condition then beat to death with a sandbag with the colors and design to still shine through. Again I have no idea how that could be done, but thats what I saw in my head as I doodled it up :). At this point for all I know it will be a neat and clean with heavy detail design in the end.

I'm not so sure about the cutouts now. I love how the journey turned out but I know that the light metal was a result of the windows. In the end the only part I didn't like was how the coin felt (that's a big piece for me).

I love how the journey turned out but I know that the light metal was a result of the windows. In the end the only part I didn't like was how the coin felt (that's a big piece for me).

I agree! I love how the jorneys look, and I like to hold them up against the light, but if I had the choice between a coin with suncatcher cutouts in a "light" version and a heavy version with "normal" enamel, I would rather take the heavy coin ;)

I like the design of your compassrose, and I like the idea of making it look like something really ancient (as long as the beautiful details still show :laughing: )

I'm predicting that once coloring is added in the right areas there will be a significant difference. In the image above the "rose" part itself hasn't been filled in. I'm also hoping that a rustic finish can be applied as opposed to the clean cut classy look that the Journey had.

Just a number of subtle differences that will add up to something significant. It is my intention for it to be similar but not so close that one would call it a rendition or anything.

I'll keep working on it, so we'll see :laughing:

Edited by scavok

Don't know how I missed your post, JG!

Yep they are roman numerals. The font will probably change (these were a little too rustic I think). I doubt the mint could pull it off, but I want the coin to look as if it were minted in perfect condition then beat to death with a sandbag with the colors and design to still shine through. Again I have no idea how that could be done, but thats what I saw in my head as I doodled it up :laughing:. At this point for all I know it will be a neat and clean with heavy detail design in the end.

I'm not so sure about the cutouts now. I love how the journey turned out but I know that the light metal was a result of the windows. In the end the only part I didn't like was how the coin felt (that's a big piece for me).

Have you thought about getting some extras and actually pounting them with a sandbag or padded hammer, just for effect? : )

Edited to add: if you can get the clearcoat off (or ask the mint to leave it off), you can do different things to "antique" the metal. For example, as gross as this sounds, if your coin is plated in bronze, you can leave it in a bowl of pee for a while and it will develop verdigris. I think you can also use white vinegar for some effects. The model-making websites have all kinds of metal treatment advice (check out Fine Scale Modeler's website, for example). When you're done, you can use an airbrush to apply Pledge ("with Future finish", formerly known as "Future"). It's an acrylic floor "wax" (actually acrylic) that's often used in modeling to "seal" the paint before applying decals and weathering.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Edited to add: if you can get the clearcoat off (or ask the mint to leave it off), you can do different things to "antique" the metal. For example, as gross as this sounds, if your coin is plated in bronze, you can leave it in a bowl of pee for a while and it will develop verdigris. I think you can also use white vinegar for some effects. The model-making websites have all kinds of metal treatment advice (check out Fine Scale Modeler's website, for example). When you're done, you can use an airbrush to apply Pledge ("with Future finish", formerly known as "Future"). It's an acrylic floor "wax" (actually acrylic) that's often used in modeling to "seal" the paint before applying decals and weathering.

I know the process very well. My handmade coins made of copper and bronze were offered with a patina finish and I had a heck of a process down pat including a camping stove, photo developing acid in test tubes, and ammonia tupperware chambers. I'm suprised that people who saw me working in my garage on those things didn't call the cops thinking I was cooking meth or something!

There are bronze artists that own cats for no other reason than to patina their items. When they change the cat's litter box they toss their art in there and seal the bag in their garage for a few weeks. Take them out, wash them off and they turn out awesome! I also have heard stories about home owners that buy things like copper verandas and doorway canopies but are upset at the idea of it taking years to develop that aged look. So they plan ahead and finish attaching it to their house at night and finish it off by standing on the roof and taking a leak on it. It has all night to corrode a tiny bit and then bake in when the sun comes up :unsure:

I didn't know about the acrylic in floor cleaners though. I have my airbrush in my closet somewhere. Now I have an excuse to pull it out!

I know the process very well. My handmade coins made of copper and bronze were offered with a patina finish and I had a heck of a process down pat including a camping stove, photo developing acid in test tubes, and ammonia tupperware chambers. I'm suprised that people who saw me working in my garage on those things didn't call the cops thinking I was cooking meth or something!

There are bronze artists that own cats for no other reason than to patina their items. When they change the cat's litter box they toss their art in there and seal the bag in their garage for a few weeks. Take them out, wash them off and they turn out awesome! I also have heard stories about home owners that buy things like copper verandas and doorway canopies but are upset at the idea of it taking years to develop that aged look. So they plan ahead and finish attaching it to their house at night and finish it off by standing on the roof and taking a leak on it. It has all night to corrode a tiny bit and then bake in when the sun comes up :unsure:

I didn't know about the acrylic in floor cleaners though. I have my airbrush in my closet somewhere. Now I have an excuse to pull it out!

ROFL! If only I'd thought of the cat when I was doing my own bronzecasting! There I was, in the bathroom, with a plastic bowl...eeeeew!

(But the sculpture turned out great!)

I'd double-check the websites (like Fine Scale Modeler); I'm not sure if you need to cut Future with anything in order to keep it from clogging the airbrush. I think my husband shoots it straight, but usually stay out of the back room when he's painting, so I'm not sure.

So I pulled this project up again and started playing with it. The image below was a quick idea based on the Shakespearean phrase, "a rose by any other name..." If you like this as a whole let me know that too :laughing: Really what I was looking for was some opinions on the knotted compass without the leaves.

Its a big image below so be patient.

http://www.scavok.com/geocoins/SKR/SH_ROSE.jpg

Also an image with the leaves and a new font.

http://www.scavok.com/geocoins/SKR/Front.png

Ideas?

So I pulled this project up again and started playing with it. The image below was a quick idea based on the Shakespearean phrase, "a rose by any other name..." If you like this as a whole let me know that too :laughing: Really what I was looking for was some opinions on the knotted compass without the leaves.

Its a big image below so be patient.

http://www.scavok.com/geocoins/SKR/SH_ROSE.jpg

Also an image with the leaves and a new font.

http://www.scavok.com/geocoins/SKR/Front.png

Ideas?

My preference is without the leaves, I found the leaves distracted from the design (just my opinion)

I'm with kini_ont -- that is, I prefer it without the leaves. The design is so regular and the leaves are very irregular (organic). Which might make sense, but even the organic elements on the coin's other side are symmetrical and patterned. So the leaves are, as we'd say in art school, "isolated".

Are those rose leaves on the other side? My first thought was "hops" (though they're clearly not). Maybe I need to go get a beer. ; )

I'm going to have to say I'd prefer no leaves too. At least not in the current form.

However, I love the rest of the design!

A bit more on my thinking around the leaves (take it or leave it, as you see fit):

The leaves remind me a bit of ivy, and on that particular design, what comes to mind is a compass rose plaque in the middle of an English garden, but I think that should have the leaves more around the edges, with a creeper or two toward the center, but that may just be me.

I've done some more work and when I rendered it to imitate antiqued silver I LOVED how it came out with the leaves. What do you all think? I also finished the back.

They are indeed rose leaves (atypical compass rose :P ), but ivy-ish because, well, I like how it looks myself. Maybe I'm the only one?

AS_800.jpg

I'm still not sure about the leaves on the front. If you're going to do roses in a vine-like fashion, I'd recommend checking out some vine-type roses and throwing some roses on there to make it clear. But, having said that, I really do like the back. : ) Are you going to put a rose in the middle?

I think I would like the vines more if they looked more like vines. Vines tend to be more tendril-y with clumps of leaves, and they drape differently.

However, the coin looks super sharp without them, so I'd vote for keeping them off! I really like where this coin is going!

Okay, one more nitpick which is just my opinion and you're free to ignore it! This is the second coin I've seen from you this week with the tengwar design in the background. I think I'd rather see a different design in the background of this one. :D However, if you're working that into a signature look or whatever, again, please feel free to ignore!

It's an awesome looking coin regardless. <_<

I think that any more tendrils and the like would just get lost in the line art around it. I've tried a few ways and think that to get the look I was originally aiming for the coin would just have to be unpractically large. The best option overall is without the vines. I think I will add some leaves to the edge/background of the front and then some actual flowers on the back and see what people think of those :unsure:

As for the "tengwar" design, it is actually a bit of a signature. It isn't a tengwar character as some suppose, it just happened to make its first appearance on my tengwar coin. There's some meaning and symbology in it and (whether you see it through the design/enamel or not) it is in all but 1 coin that I've had minted over the years. :unsure:

I think I would like the vines more if they looked more like vines. Vines tend to be more tendril-y with clumps of leaves, and they drape differently.

However, the coin looks super sharp without them, so I'd vote for keeping them off! I really like where this coin is going!

Okay, one more nitpick which is just my opinion and you're free to ignore it! This is the second coin I've seen from you this week with the tengwar design in the background. I think I'd rather see a different design in the background of this one. ;) However, if you're working that into a signature look or whatever, again, please feel free to ignore!

It's an awesome looking coin regardless. :D

Edited by scavok