Ebay.... Good or Evil?

Shootist!

Newbie here looking to get some coins to include in a few caches once the snow melts <_<

I think I've been to every site that sells, makes or conjures up coins.

I also went to ebay where I can see there are HTF coins but it got me to thinking.

How reputable are these?

What I mean is, I'm sure most are from people who are getting out of collecting for various reasons, some are even dealers or manufacturers.....

...but how many of these are guys that found a cache with a coin in it and said to themselves...

"Bet I could sell this on Ebay and make some money"

Does it happen?

And if so, what should I look out for, or do to stop or help the situation?

Shootist! :(

For me, I don't buy activated coins from the e place because if they are not the owner they can't adopt them to you, to answer you question about good or bad, its truely both,, you can find hard to find coins, but you also pay a lot for them,sometimes a coin you want is still on sale and the price on the e place is double, but that's where your desire comes in, I've seen lackys go for 50 and I reciently saw a coal earth turtle setting at 135 for 1 coin. Also the other bad thing for me is I seem to get sniped by a last second bider after I've been watching a coin for 4 days it happends a lot so I get frustrated and don't bid anymore for awhile.

Pretty good, as long as it says "unactivated". Most of the sellers have great ratings and as long as you don't get caught up in the thrill of bidding, you can get a nice coin for a fairly reasonable price. I usually enter my maximum bid and then don't watch anymore, otherwise I'm tempted to go higher if I'm overbid. If someone else wins, oh well, I know another one may come along tomorrow. Delivery is about two weeks, sometimes less. Almost all say "HTF" or "Sold Out", but some are still available from the vendor for less money, so if you see a coin you like do a google search to find the vendor and check for availability before you bid. Have fun!

Newbie here looking to get some coins to include in a few caches once the snow melts :laughing:

I also went to ebay where I can see there are HTF coins but it got me to thinking.

How reputable are these?

What I mean is, I'm sure most are from people who are getting out of collecting for various reasons, some are even dealers or manufacturers.....

...but how many of these are guys that found a cache with a coin in it and said to themselves...

Does it happen?

Shootist! :laughing:

Stolen coins are hard to sell on Ebay which takes a very dim view of it's site being used for larceny. The telltale sign is whether an activated coin is adoptable. Only the registered owner can transfer ownership of an activated coin. Ask the seller how soon the coin will be adopted away after payment. If it's not done you can press for a refund from PayPal and drop a line to Ebay about that user auctioning goods with questionable ownership.

I bought hundreds of coins on Ebay before I discovered the online vendours, coin clubs and coin forums. Never have I been stiffed with a stolen coin and that was not through any rigourous oversight on my part either. Check if coins are trackable that are supposed to be, that they are clearly described as activated or not, that they are adoptable if activated and that the activation code is easily accessible and when to expect shipment. Beyond that if it's a good price you've got nothing to worry about.

Some bargains to be had on ebay, and I have had no problems with any that I have bought, (In fact never had any problems with ebay fullstop).

Many of the vendors - listed on the forums elsewhere offer the same coins, or new ones for much less than some of the coins sell for on Ebay. Have a look at those, may be more economical, and some offer 'grab bags' so may get an unusual one or two in them. Must admit I tend to trade with them now.

I have sold over 1000 + geocoins on ebay. I am not a vendor. All my coins were from my personal collection. They were mostly all activated by me, but I have helped each of the buyers adopt the coins they purchased from me. My feedback proves it.

Newbie here looking to get some coins to include in a few caches once the snow melts :laughing:

How reputable are these?

Does it happen?

I actually have a bunch on there. I sell regularly on there to move ones that I've had for a while and get some new ones but lately I have just been selling to slim my collection down since they really have just been sitting in a loc and loc container. I'd rather let someone else enjoy them then let them sit there. :laughing:

But no matter what I always check the feedback rating. It's very reliable when you look at a seller. But unfortunately it's not with buyers since a seller cannot leave a bad buyer negative feedback.

Edited by jho135

I have sold over 1000 + geocoins on ebay. I am not a vendor. All my coins were from my personal collection. They were mostly all activated by me, but I have helped each of the buyers adopt the coins they purchased from me. My feedback proves it.

How reputable are these?

Does it happen?

I haven't sold any activated ones on there. How has that worked out for you? I have a ton activated that I would like to move but I would hate to only get $1 or $2 for them cause their activated.

I Buy and Sell all the time on there.

I do not sell activated ones or i have not yet.

I do forget a lot of times to say they are not activated.

I try and make a buck or two off these to help fund all of the events i do or help with.

If i did not sell andy on Ebay i would be unable to promote Geocaching or host events, CITO's and help with events like i do.

I still do not make enough to cover the cost for events but it helps and it is fun and gives me something to do.

If you like finding certain types of coins it is a great place to look.

Sometimes i sell them cheaper then i buy them for but it is a chance i take.

I am always looking to buy coins to help cover cost with events and not my pocket.

Good luck and glad to see you interested in the Geocoin World.

Edited by River Cacher

Thanks for all the great advise my fellow hunters.

(can I be considered a hunter even though I've only found one cache so far :laughing: )

I guess my second biggest fear is that coins I put out in circulation will just disappear.

It's not like I'm dead broke poor or uber frugal, I'm just afraid money that I spend to bring others joy will simply end up in someones junk drawer under a pile of coupons or christmas ribbon.

Do you typically put out the common "everybodys seen one of these coins" in offer of trade or do you splurge and put out the really good stuff, the "this has got to be in my favorite top 20" variety for others to enjoy?

Personally, I won't take more than I give...... Am i 1 in 10?

To those sellers that have replied,.... have a link to your "store"? I figure if you come by here, you must be OK :laughing:

Waiting for the snow to melt is like watching paint dry,

The answer to the OP's title is:

"Yes."

What I mean by this is that you really can find some cool coins on the site. You might get them for good prices, or you might pay through the nose (which is fine, if you're willing to do that).

If you are not familiar with geocoins and have a sense of what's valued, however, I'd avoid it to begin with. Hang out here for a while. Check out the trading thread (long though it may be). Watch eBay to see what coins are going for, without bidding.

One thing that gets me is that some of those coins are marked "Hard to Find" when they're still for sale at the vendor's site. So the buyer definitely has to beware. But once you have a sense of what's out there, what you want, and what you're willing to pay for it, I really think that eBay is a good resource.

I think this just happened to me...

When I first started collecting I did get some coins from ebay and I guess I was lucky because they were all legit. Before Christmas I found a coin I'd been wanting for a while, a dreamcatcher. So I bid on it and won it. When it arrived I checked it over and it looks like something (tracking number?) was scratched out on it. BUT I am not at all entirely sure that this series WAS trackable at all. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm a regular eBay seller. I primarily list extra coins that I purchased or traded for that are no longer in production. In defense of some of the accusations made against sellers thus far, often vendors will remint or release back stock of coins without warning that were once indeed sold out.

When I first started collecting I did get some coins from ebay and I guess I was lucky because they were all legit. Before Christmas I found a coin I'd been wanting for a while, a dreamcatcher. So I bid on it and won it. When it arrived I checked it over and it looks like something (tracking number?) was scratched out on it. BUT I am not at all entirely sure that this series WAS trackable at all. Does anyone know for sure?

There were errors in the first minting of Dream Catchers and most buyers who purchased a set got one of the error coins free with their order. The tracking numbers on those are scratched out. I know I sold mine over a year ago, but my listing did say it was non-trackable and an error coin. I don't know about the one you purchased. Did you read the listing copy? If the listing didn't state it was non-trackable, you can file a claim through paypal and return the item for a full refund.

Thanks for all the great advise my fellow hunters.

(can I be considered a hunter even though I've only found one cache so far :laughing: )

I guess my second biggest fear is that coins I put out in circulation will just disappear.

It's not like I'm dead broke poor or uber frugal, I'm just afraid money that I spend to bring others joy will simply end up in someones junk drawer under a pile of coupons or christmas ribbon.

Do you typically put out the common "everybodys seen one of these coins" in offer of trade or do you splurge and put out the really good stuff, the "this has got to be in my favorite top 20" variety for others to enjoy?

Personally, I won't take more than I give...... Am i 1 in 10?

To those sellers that have replied,.... have a link to your "store"? I figure if you come by here, you must be OK :laughing:

Waiting for the snow to melt is like watching paint dry,

You will lose some you put out in the wild.

The enjoyment of the others that stay traveling will offset the loss of the others.

I have a person that emailed me last night because a DNF coin of mine was missing from there cache and they seemed bummed out.

I explained to them it was OK because some disapear and come back a year later or sometimes never.

It is fun to me to see if they do ever return.

I have about 100 loose and i thnk there is just a few i consider gone.

Muggled cache or over five years MIA.

I do put out items that are differnet to give people a mix of trackables out there so they are not just a bunch of the same.

If a new item is dropped closed to you house and you had not seen this one would you run and get it to check it out ?

I think they move faster and more if they are unique.

Good Luck.

It has worked out good for me. Most of all of my activated coins sold for more than what i paid for them. ALot sold for more than I expected. Significantly more. I did very well selling my collection. I was very happy with the results.

I usually just post:

This coin is activated, but it has never physically been in a geocache. It has remained in my personal collection without ever travelling anywheres. It may show that it is in one of my caches, but those are archived geocaches. I place my coins in them only as placeholders!

I also usually post a picture of the coin on the coin trackable page.

Example:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=538260

Hope this helps!

How reputable are these?

Does it happen?

Shootist! :blink:

I haven't sold any activated ones on there. How has that worked out for you? I have a ton activated that I would like to move but I would hate to only get $1 or $2 for them cause their activated.

I'm a regular eBay seller. I primarily list extra coins that I purchased or traded for that are no longer in production. In defense of some of the accusations made against sellers thus far, often vendors will remint or release back stock of coins without warning that were once indeed sold out.

There were errors in the first minting of Dream Catchers and most buyers who purchased a set got one of the error coins free with their order. The tracking numbers on those are scratched out. I know I sold mine over a year ago, but my listing did say it was non-trackable and an error coin. I don't know about the one you purchased. Did you read the listing copy? If the listing didn't state it was non-trackable, you can file a claim through paypal and return the item for a full refund.

Thanks AG, that clears it up for me. Dreamcatchers came out before I started collecting and I didn't know there were mistakes made (the fact that it was a mistake coin was not listed) but assumed that the series was non trackable. I was just concerned when I saw numbers scratched out.

(a) I sell on ebay, I don't see anything evil about it. There are a few times when a coin slips through the cracks or an auction is misled someone (unintentionally).

(:laughing: There are two reasons to buy on ebay: (1) the coin is sold out and not available anymore (2) you can get a fairly good deal on some more common coins

© Two of the biggest things to watch out for are: (1) SOLD OUT, with vendors reminting* coins, when a listing goes up as SOLD OUT it might then become available later, it's hard to gauge both as a buyer and a seller, (2) HTF (hard to find) Some sellers claim everything as HTF.

*With the economy for coins down, remints make more sense to vendors (no die fees, saves $180, no icon fees saves $150 etc). More and more coins are being re-released in the same or different versions, this seems to be common practice now so buyers on ebay (and generally) need to be aware.

If you plan to release into the wild, I would release common cheap coins. Geocaches are unforgiving and the coin will get beaten up, so it's probably not worth putting that $40 coin you paid for in a cache.