Cacher Trends

ArcherDragoon

So, when I started, there was reference to three "Generations" of cachers...

1) Old-Timers-Those that were caching right around the begging until about 2003... (not sure what people would call the break off point)

2) 2nd Generation-obviously, after the "Old-Timers" until about 2005 or so... (again, not sure what people would call the break off point)

3) Newbies-again, after the 2nd Generation people until...some time recent or soon...

Do you think you thing we (as a Geocaching Community) are about to "break" off into another "Generation" of cachers??? Are we looking at...

1) Old-Timers (about 2003 and prior)

2) 2nd Generation (will they take on a new name-2005-2003)

3) 3rd Generation (for lack of a "better" name-2008/2009-2006)

4) Newbies

Or, do you see the "2nd Generation" group being expanded to cover those that are/were considered in the Newbie Generation???

I guess this would be related to caching trends and wondering what others may be noticing as far as hides, locations being used and styles among cachers...

So, when I started, there was reference to three "Generations" of cachers...

1) Old-Timers-Those that were caching right around the begging until about 2003... (not sure what people would call the break off point)

2) 2nd Generation-obviously, after the "Old-Timers" until about 2005 or so... (again, not sure what people would call the break off point)

3) Newbies-again, after the 2nd Generation people until...some time recent or soon...

Do you think you thing we (as a Geocaching Community) are about to "break" off into another "Generation" of cachers??? Are we looking at...

4) Newbies

Or, do you see the "2nd Generation" group being expanded to cover those that are/were considered in the Newbie Generation???

I guess this would be related to caching trends and wondering what others may be noticing as far as hides, locations being used and styles among cachers...

I guess that makes me an Old-timer. <_< I do remember what it was like before numbers and micro mania. I think only ~10% of the caches were micros at that time. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..." :(

I think you have it broken down about right, but you might add an "Originals" class too, for those like Jeremy, Prime Suspect, Dave Ulmer, etc that were there from the start.

I guess I'm an "Old Timer".

:laughing: ...Pioneers... :laughing:

-Sort-of makes them sound "older" then Old-Timers...

Pioneer fits very well. Anyone that joined this game in the first year or so was a pioneer.

I think you have it broken down about right, but you might add an "Originals" class too, for those like Jeremy, Prime Suspect, Dave Ulmer, etc that were there from the start.

I guess I'm an "Old Timer".

:laughing: ...Pioneers... :laughing:

-Sort-of makes them sound "older" then Old-Timers...

Pioneer fits very well. Anyone that joined this game in the first year or so was a pioneer.

Woohoo! As an '03'er I've finally been designated as an old-timer! Cool, I always wanted to be one. Now I can be even more curmudgeonly about those stupid micros. :laughing: And stay off of my lawn, all of you.

4) Newbies

At very least, I'd like to think that anyone who's been caching since 2006 isn't a newbie anymore... :laughing:

Well I am bewildered. I registered here in 2006 when I put my mum onto geocaching, but only started gecocaching myself in 2009. What does it matter anyway? Anyway, here in Ireland we only have a couple of thousand caches, and only 300 within 100 miles of my house in Cork, so there is no dreaded micro creep here yet. I've done 20 caches only, all of them beautiful locations ( the last one was this one GCT6W1 at a 14th century ruin in a glorious cove - maybe we're better off here in the dark ages of caching? :laughing:

Edited by glastocat

is there a point to the breakdown?

some hallmark of each group, or are you just arbitrarily assigning groups by convenient numbers of years?

Flask, the categorization, along with the implicit assignment of hierarchical status and authority attendant to that categorization, allows those of us who have been in the sport for at least a few years a convenient excuse and tool with which to sanctimoniously and self-righteously belittle those newcomers to the sport whose behaviors we do not like. In other words, it offers us a bully pulpit from which we can belittle whole generations of newcomers and blame them for the scourges of lame urban micros, numbers-based caching, throwdowns, and related social ills which have come to plague the geocaching community, much akin to a plague of locusts.

And, sadly, there is indeed a large amount truth to the hypothesis that many of these aforementioned ills are largely due to the changing demographics of the population of newcomers entering our sport.

In fact, looking at the evolution (or is it de-evolution?) of this sport over the past three years, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and deliberately steered to this sport a new generation consisting of an elevated level of dimwits, thus resulting in marked regression toward the mean in the realms of demonstrated ethics and behaviors by newer geocachers. And, some of us like to complain about this regression to the mean, and the creation of chronological categories allows us a handy means to point the finger and lay blame at the door of the newcomers.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
Well I am bewildered. I registered here in 2006 when I put my mum onto geocaching, but only started gecocaching myself in 2009. What does it matter anyway? Anyway, here in Ireland we only have a couple of thousand caches, and only 300 within 100 miles of my house in Cork, so there is no dreaded micro creep here yet. I've done 20 caches only, all of them beautiful locations ( the last one was this one GCT6W1 at a 14th century ruin in a glorious cove - maybe we're better off here in the dark ages of caching? :laughing:
To me those 300 near you would be more fun to find than finding 30,000 whatevers. But that is me. I'll be sure to use geocaching to help me tour Ireland when I get over there. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

I joined in 2001 and had to drive 80 km to find the closest cache. Now there over 4000 caches within that same driving radius. I am fine with being an "Old Timer"

It was fun a few months ago to find a cache hidden by a friend in 2003. One of the stages was rubber dog feces. At the time, that was pretty creative. Before the micros took over the world.

In other words, it offers us a bully pulpit from which we can belittle whole generations of newcomers and blame them for the scourges of lame urban micros, numbers-based caching, throwdowns, and related social ills which have come to plague the geocaching community, much akin to a plague of locusts.

Since when is an excuse needed?

I have been caching since '03. Through 3 different handle changes (I get bored easily) I have enjoyed all the caches I've found whether the "lame" micro or the "awesome" traditional. I've enjoyed it anyway because all of those caches have been a part of a usually great day of caching.

So I will proudly wear the badge of Old Timer.

4) Newbies

I've always thought of myself as 2nd generation. The 1st generation in my area had come, placed caches, and for the most part dissapeared. When we came along there were enough caches to keep us busy, but not so much that we couldn't place any, when we did critical mass was reached and things took off. The caches the other 2nd generation folks were placing kept us busy. We didn't have to wait more than a few days for another cache or group to show up. The very fist generation found the 1 or none there was to find, then placed one and that's all she wrote. We stood on their shoulders. Anyway, the cut off was the end of 2001 for what seemed to be a change 'back in the day'. Oh and back in the day ended when 2003 started. That's how it seems to me. I lost track after what I call the 3rd generation. By the time the 4th hit it's all the same to me.

My breakdown.

1st Gen. Solo game. They came, found, placed, then there was no one else to keep it up.

2nd Gen. Came, found, placed, the others were also placing. 1st Gen to have a social angle. Virtually every cache was a blessing.

3rd Gen. Came, found, placed, the last gen to have easy name recognition because there were still so 'few' cachers. Everone knew everone, or at lest had heard of them. Numbers were starting to be easy to get. Cachers still appreciated all caches placed.

4th Gen. So many cachers it's hard to keep track of who's new, who's active, and what's what. I couldn't tell a 5th gen from this one. Cachers can be choosy about caches. No way, no how anybody can do them all.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I think those break points work fairly well - at least around here. There seem to be some distinct styles and thinking among each group as a whole. All has to do with what was around as they started caching and what areas were open for new geocaches. Always some exceptions.........

That's entirely possible. Idaho had a good start in caching. Some states would have a later (or earlier) break point for the generations than what I have observed, and what the OP laid out.

...it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above...

Anybody else reckon that Vinny's been playin' with his Ouija Board too much lately?

Hard to call if I'm 2nd or 3rd generation in this area. When I started, there were just about enough caches to keep a body interested. It's exploded a bit since then. Of course, being from a place which is normally 20 years behind, we're pretty dadgum far ahead of ourselves in this case.

some hallmark of each group, or are you just arbitrarily assigning groups by convenient numbers of years?

No point...at least not the I know of personally...

No hallmark besides how I have heard cachers refer to eachother in casual conversation...think of it as a starting point for a conversation...nothing more...no hidden agenda...I was just making an comment...

Flask, the categorization, along with the implicit assignment of hierarchical status and authority attendant to that categorization, allows those of us who have been in the sport for at least a few years a convenient excuse and tool with which to sanctimoniously and self-righteously belittle those newcomers to the sport whose behaviors we do not like. In other words, it offers us a bully pulpit from which we can belittle whole generations of newcomers and blame them for the scourges of lame urban micros, numbers-based caching, throwdowns, and related social ills which have come to plague the geocaching community, much akin to a plague of locusts.

And, sadly, there is indeed a large amount truth to the hypothesis that many of these aforementioned ills are largely due to the changing demographics of the population of newcomers entering our sport.

In fact, looking at the evolution (or is it de-evolution?) of this sport over the past three years, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and deliberately steered to this sport a new generation consisting of an elevated levels of dimwits, thus resulting in marked regression toward the mean in the realms of demonstrated ethics and behaviors by newer geocachers. And, some of us like to complain about this regression to the mean, and the creation of chronological categories allows us a handy means to point the finger and lay blame at the door of the newcomers.

Locusts!!!

Sounds good to me!!!

-----

Pioneers

Old-Timers

2nd Generation-Sorry, no one has stated anything better yet

Locusts

Newbies

-----

On the positive side...I guess I am no longer in the newbie area!!!

:laughing::blink::laughing::laughing::huh:

why do we always have to label people? dividing in to classes and trying to determine which class is better than the next... sheeesh, I am a geocacher...nuff said.

To paraphrase a fisherman's poem...

WHAT I AM

I am a geocacher, for life.

I will always be a geocacher.

It’s not something I do, it is who I am.

Geocaching is not an escape.

It is where I belong, where I am supposed to be.

It is not a place, but a lifelong journey.

It is a passage my father showed me, and that I will show others.

When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will geocache together.

ArcherDragoon, I've been thinking about this some more and when you look 20 years down the road will old-timers be the ones that have played the game for 26-28 years? :laughing: The point is that all of your cutoffs by year will get blown apart over time. IMHO if you've played the game for a year or two, you are a veteran or an old-timer or whatever... :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

1st generation - outdoor types, hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers who were a little geeky and got early hand held GPS receivers to map their tracks when they were out. They hung around in the sci.geo.satellite-nav USENET group to discuss their devices and ways to use them and when Selective Availability was turned off were read to adopt Dave Ulmer's new game.

2nd generation - still geeky outdoor enthusiast who bought their GPSr for that reason but now also included some who were buying them for automobile navigation. Many discover geocaching as they search for information on how to use their devices.

3rd generation - less geeky but still spending too much time on the internet types who discover geocaching and think "this sounds cool". GPS units are now cheap enough to justify buying one just to play the game. Some of these players are into getting the latest gadgets and may have gotten a GPSr for auto use anyhow and this is just one more reason. Some even have the latest cell phones which are just starting to come GPS equipped.

4th generation - Geocaching is becoming mainstream. People discover this from a news story or from a friend that has been doing it. These people already have a GPS enabled cell phone or they have a crossover GPS in their car for navigation so there is little cost involved to go geocaching. The number of urban hides placed by the 2nd and 3rd generation cachers means you don't even have to go hiking in the woods to find caches anymore. Just stop in any fast food restaurant parking lot.

Funny that you should bring this up, Archer, because only recently I have expressed the same idea a couple of times to cacher friends.

Having started in 2005, I see myself as 2nd wave (excluding the pioneers like Ulmer, etc... generation zero). In our area, folks like King Boreas, Moe the Sleaze, Silent Bob, Candy Apple Green, and others were what I saw as the first generation. Then there was "my" group... and now I'm seeing a whole new "generation" of cachers.

I guess what separates us more than time is ideology. The first "generation" was happy with nothing more than long hikes in the woods, followed by a single ammo can or pickle bucket. There were no numbers. There were few other sizes. The whole concept was different for them.

Somewhere between that group, and my beginning (generation 1.5?) were smalls, micros, multis, etc. I thought they were the norm, because they existed when I learned of the sport. My first caches were, of course, exuberant multis that, of course, included extremely tiny and well disquised micros in the many stages. OK... I've learned from my mistakes.

What I consider Generation 3 is all about ALRs, "Challenges", and puzzles. And like Generation 1 complains about our smalls and urban micros, I complain about their challenges and ALRs. Like they said, "Just gimme an ammo box in the woods", I say "Just gimme a darned cache!!"

why do we always have to label people?

Husbands & Wives, Adults & children, Friends & Acquaintances.

Good question why do we label put labels on things that are different in some way?

...trying to determine which class is better than the next...

Seems to me that's optional, though I recon you have two kinds of folks. The one who came up with labels and the ones that actually brought up the concept that one label might be better than the other label. Why oh why can't we label in peace without being labeled as a Brahman disdainful of our lessors? :laughing:

I can certainly seem the breakdown in our area.

We had our original cachers who were around in the beginning. Their surviving caches have become legends, their numbers have been blown out of the water and many of the cachers have retired from the hobby. Spotting one has become like spotting Elvis.

Joining in late 2003 I was the leading edge of the next wave, which really came into force in 2004. Many of those cachers are still around and active in the hobby. Their surviving caches are now well aged enough to start being considered "above average" by the next wave. Their number of finds is now dwarfed by the most recent wave of cachers, as this generation still tends to go for quality over quantity. When they show up at events they are called "old timers" by those who don't know any better.

Starting around 2006/2007 came the most recent wave of cachers. Motivated by numbers because they feel that will elevate their "status" within the caching community. See no reason why hiding a micro under a lamppost skirt shouldn't be considered "giving back" as much as a cache in a park or in the mountains -- after all, they all count for a smiley exactly the same, right? Now make up the majority of attendees at local events.

Yes, it is a generalization, but like most stereotypes there is a nugget of truth there -- otherwise the stereotype never would have developed.

Starting around 2006/2007 came the most recent wave of cachers. Motivated by numbers .....

More likely is the fact that around that time it started to be possible to go for big numbers due to the volume of caches (and type of caches ie: drive-ups) that existed by then. If the same volume and type of caches existed in 2003 I'm sure you would have seen a larger percentage of cachers go after numbers back then.

The most visible cachers are the ones with high find counts but they only represent a smallish percentage of the caching world in my opinion. A much larger percentage of cachers do a few here and there or drop out altogether after a while.

Understandably a lot of the earlier geocachers didn't go on to become "numbers" motivated because that kind of caching didn't exist when geocaching was first starting.

Geocaching offers a number of other ways of playing that didn't exist back in the early days and, as a result, it can appeal to more people. Not just hikers and outdoorsy people.

Yes, it is a generalization, but like most stereotypes there is a nugget of truth there -- otherwise the stereotype never would have developed.

It's the first time that I've heard that suggested. Sounds like you're trying to create a sterotype.

I dont think the date-joined can be used to make any assumption about the type of cacher someone might be. You might as well ask a geocacher for the favorite ice-cream flavor and make a determination that way. A quick look at a person's find counts, the type of caches found, the type of caches placed and their profile would give you a substantially better idea about the type of cacher you're talking to.

Edited by sdarken

...I dont think the date-joined can be used to make any assumption about the type of cacher someone might be....

Sure it can. When you combine it with other things you can use it to help build a nice profile on that cacher.

For example based on your join date you never had the option to be the first to place many kinds of caches that were created in your area or even state. You may have had (or still have?) a shot at the fist Wherigo. While that tidbit doesn't define what kind of cacher you are, it does define one thing you can't be which does have an impact however small on what kind of cacher potential you have.

Another simple thing. If you have a January join date as opposed to a September there is a higher chance that you got a GPS for Christmas. That's just a probability and you have to take them for what they are. Still it's something.

"...In fact, looking at the evolution (or is it de-evolution?) of this sport over the past three years, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and deliberately steered to this sport a new generation consisting of an elevated level of dimwits, thus resulting in marked regression toward the mean in the realms of demonstrated ethics and behaviors by newer geocachers. And, some of us like to complain about this regression to the mean, and the creation of chronological categories allows us a handy means to point the finger and lay blame at the door of the newcomers.

'Fraid I'm with Sioneva on this one!

~*

...Starting around 2006/2007 came the most recent wave of cachers. Motivated by numbers because they feel that will elevate their "status" within the caching community. ...

I saw some of this play out with the 3rd generation in my area. That was 2003 though. A few went out and built solid reputations through their logs, events, caches, while others just found a bunch of caches and expected to impress folks then were annoyed when nobody they thought mattered actually cared.

"...In fact, looking at the evolution (or is it de-evolution?) of this sport over the past three years, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and deliberately steered to this sport a new generation consisting of an elevated level of dimwits, thus resulting in marked regression toward the mean in the realms of demonstrated ethics and behaviors by newer geocachers. And, some of us like to complain about this regression to the mean, and the creation of chronological categories allows us a handy means to point the finger and lay blame at the door of the newcomers.

~*

~*

Unfortunately, it appears that Sioneva herself -- spooky mystical figure that she is -- may be the occult hand behind many otherwise-undecipherable happenings in the geocaching world and in the world at large. It is quite terrifying and quite terrible.

~*

Unfortunately, it appears that Sioneva herself -- spooky mystical figure that she is -- may be the occult hand behind many otherwise-undecipherable happenings in the geocaching world and in the world at large. It is quite terrifying and quite terrible.

:laughing: Who, me? :blink:

Yay, Star*Hopper is my new acolyte!

Overall, very interesting conversation...

Seems the "labels" as they have come to be called are not just a regional thing...many areas have heard of similar. I am not aiming to develop a label for any one group/time, it is just something I found myself thinking about a couple of days ago and just couldn't get the topic out of my head...especially how I feel my attitude towards caching has changed since I started...all be it a short 2 1/2 years...

Keep it coming...love the discussion!!!

In fact, looking at the evolution (or is it de-evolution?) of this sport over the past three years, it is almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and deliberately steered to this sport a new generation consisting of an elevated level of dimwits, thus resulting in marked regression toward the mean in the realms of demonstrated ethics and behaviors by newer geocachers. And, some of us like to complain about this regression to the mean, and the creation of chronological categories allows us a handy means to point the finger and lay blame at the door of the newcomers.

EGG-ZACTICALLY!

I started in December of '02, I am an old-timer!

Overall, very interesting conversation...

Seems the "labels" as they have come to be called are not just a regional thing...many areas have heard of similar. I am not aiming to develop a label for any one group/time, it is just something I found myself thinking about a couple of days ago and just couldn't get the topic out of my head...especially how I feel my attitude towards caching has changed since I started...all be it a short 2 1/2 years...

Keep it coming...love the discussion!!!

If we are look for world wide labels for generations of geocaches how about something like Generation X, Generation Y and Generation Z? Those should translate well in to a lot of languages without loosing too much meaning.