starting new TB hotel. Advice?

rangeoflight

I think the idea of TB hotels are great. I am going to start a new one and am curious if it's approprate for me to grab 3 or 4 TBs from caches nearby to place in my TB hotel to start it off. I'm going to create a brand new TB as well to include.

Is there any other advice or special considerations that someone could give me about this little project...something specificially for TB hotel caches? I am fairly new to geocaching and don't want to screw itup. I've read the FAQ and tips for starting a new cache but thought there might be some good tips here too...thanks..

I'd say 2 things. First if your TB Hotel is a good location the TBs will find their way to it without your help so there should not be any need to go grab TBs from other caches.

Secondly if you do go ahead with the TB Hotel idea please do not place any type of movement restrictions on TBs staying there. I'm referring to TB Hotel/Prison owners who say you can't take a TB without leaving one behind or even thinly veiled hints of such restrictions. Always keep in mind that TB owners released their TBs to travel not to sit hostage in a TB Hotel or Prison.

Good luck and welcome!!! <_<

Edit to ad a P.S. Keep in mind that if your TB hotel becomes popular that your TB Hotel will frequently have several TBs in it at a time so make sure it's not in an area where it's likely to be muggled. It would be a shame if the cache got muggled and a bunch of TBs or geocoins went missing all at the same time.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

Ok well those are good points and I'm trying to find a good place to put the TB hotel where it is easily accessible, but also not visible to muggles. I want to put it in a local park across the street from me, because I know i can check it quite often and keep the listing correct as to what trackables aren't in there when they should be.

Although how long should I wait before I mark a trackable as "missing" or "unknown" or however I do it? I guess I should give people enough time to log their finds. I try to do it in a day or two myself, but i know some people forget. But what is a good amount of time to give them?

I just don't want a cache where there are three or four TBs listed as being there when they are in fact somewhere else or stolen or whatever. I keep finding caches where the trackables are missing and it is annoying.

Well I may have to be a bit pickier about the location as I don't want it to be too difficult to get to. I have only been to one TB hotel myself and it was near an office complex and very easy to park and find and drop of/pick up a TB and be on your way. I don't know if I can find a location that easy in this park, but I'll give it a shot....or maybe consider another location nearby.

I certainly won't place any restriction on the cache except maybe for it to be for trackables only and no toys, etc in there. I am going to make another more traditional cache soon for those.

Edited by rangeoflight

Although how long should I wait before I mark a trackable as "missing" or "unknown" or however I do it? I guess I should give people enough time to log their finds. I try to do it in a day or two myself, but i know some people forget. But what is a good amount of time to give them?

Weeks and or months. You'll see my response in the other thread. :laughing:

I have a travel bug hotel. Its in a kind of place so i know it will not get hit a lot but I have placed it for people who have travel bugs who have a goal of visiting places near the water. It is on a beach on an island. I just placed it in the Fall so it has only been found once but come spring/summer, I think it will see more action.

Weeks and or months. You'll see my response in the other thread. :)

But if wait weeks, then too many people will see the cache listed on the site with incorrect TB contents/inventory. It doesn't seem to me like people need more than a week or two at max to log a TB find. I have always done it within 2 days and usually 1. If they have forgotten after two weeks, then it seems like they most likely aren't going to remember. But I am new to this so just trying to figure out what is best for the geocaching community.

...i can check it quite often...

It sounds like you'll be an excellent Hotel Manager :). Regular cache maintenance is especially important for Hotels, to make sure the cache is still well hidden, still waterproof, and doesn't have any TBs that have been there too long.

Well I hope it the cache stays hidden well and no one takes it. I'm using an inexpensive plastic jar that is very waterproof.. I plan to spray paint it camo with green and brown paint. If it gets stolen by muggles, it won't cost me long to replace, but if I choose a good hiding place for it, then that will be less likely.

Well I ordered a few official geocaching stickers yesterday so they should be here in a few days and I will be set to paint and hide my first TB hotel...I'm looking forward to it. :D

But if wait weeks, then too many people will see the cache listed on the site with incorrect TB contents/inventory. It doesn't seem to me like people need more than a week or two at max to log a TB find. I have always done it within 2 days and usually 1. If they have forgotten after two weeks, then it seems like they most likely aren't going to remember. But I am new to this so just trying to figure out what is best for the geocaching community.

Weigh it against how often your cache is being visited. Initially you'll have high traffic as people clear it from the nearest unfound list. After three or four months note how often it is being visited. I think you'll find a month for the bug logging to work itself out about right.

I do not agree with WV's agressive approach. I think you can over-manage something that, believe it or not, doesn't happen that often.

Just my take on things.

I've been going through the bugs listed in your area. Plenty of examples to research. I'm finding that most have missing reports posting on the cache AND bug page and neither owner has taken any action.

I think it's about time I write up a letter and send it out to all the clubs to disseminate cache-bug maintenance instructions to their members.

One oddity is that I found a missing bug listed that is owned by a guy I've cached with here in Iowa.

I have a TB Hotel set up not far from where I live.

If I have reason to believe a TB is missing, I will go check the cache and also check the log to see if someone signed it out as being picked up or not.

If it is not logged as picked up online after a couple of days, I will go ahead and mark it as missing.

If I mark it as missing, I also make sure to write a note on the item page that lets the owner of the travel bug know why I marked it as such and if anyone logged it as being taken but has not yet claimed they did so online.

1) It keeps the bug owner informed.

2) The person that has it can still retrieve it even if it is logged as missing.

3) It keeps people from wasting a trip for something that has already continued on its way.

Another thing I have done for mine is that I put a lock on it and hid the key to the lock relatively close to the cache with instructions on the cache page on where to find the key.

This helps keep muggles who might discover the hotel from simply digging into it, taking what they want from it.

So far, the hotel has a decent track record. (knock on wood)

Edited to add: If a person logged they picked up the bug but indicated they are on a trip. I likely would give them a few extra days to make the entry but still post a maintenance log telling visitors it is gone but have reason to believe the person just has not had time to log the visit and retrieval as yet.

Edited by MOON'S EYE

Edited to add: If a person logged they picked up the bug but indicated they are on a trip. I likely would give them a few extra days to make the entry but still post a maintenance log telling visitors it is gone but have reason to believe the person just has not had time to log the visit and retrieval as yet.

Thanks...that's a good idea. I suppose before I mark a TB officially "missing" from my TB hotel, I'll post a log entry saying that the bug isn't there, so at least people will be aware of that in the interim.

and btw, my GPS receiver died a few days ago, so that is what has been delaying my TB hotel launch...I managed to fix my GPS (software issue). I'm also waiting for a friend to come over and help me paint the hotel. She is sick now...but I'm eagerly awaiting the day I hide it and hopefully it will be a success.

Edited by rangeoflight