Remote cache holds 25+ geocoins?!?

entogeek

Take a look at the following cache, GCGP1H, and you will notice that GCPIR8 has "dropped" over 25 geocoins in it. According to this individual's logs, many of these coins were collected on the same day, hundreds of km away from the remote cache and dropped at this site on the day they were collected. Seems a little odd to me... but then again what do I know?

Well GCPIR8 is obviously a sock puppet account. They probably chose the cache for it's remoteness figuring that no one would be able to physically check the cache until summer so they "stashed" their stolen tags & coins there to get them out of their own sock puppet inventory. A lame attempt to make it look legit, IMHO. <_<

CF30

Take a look at the following cache, GCGP1H, and you will notice that GCPIR8 has "dropped" over 25 geocoins in it. According to this individual's logs, many of these coins were collected on the same day, hundreds of km away from the remote cache and dropped at this site on the day they were collected. Seems a little odd to me... but then again what do I know?

The caches from which the TB's were removed have not been visited since the TB's were either "grabbed" or "retrieved".

The "retrieved" log was used several times along with "tfth", suggesting that GCPIR8 was there at the cache.

I am sure it will straighten itself out very soon when the caches start getting visitors who can report on the TB's. Clearly the remote cache has not been visited and the TB's are not actually being dropped there.

This type of activity may be intended to obscure the actual theft of a trackable item but it may also be just an attempt to annoy.

GCPIR8 = "Geocache Pirate" ?

Was waiting to see if someone would notice that! As wavector noted, the trackables could still be in the last cache in which they were physically dropped. A quick note to one or two of the CO's should be able to determine if they are still there.

Edited by entogeek

Was waiting to see if someone would notice that! As wavector noted, the trackables could still be in the last cache in which they were physically dropped. A quick note to one or two of the CO's should be able to determine if they are still there.

A few of the TBs and Geocoins came out of my cache GC1DT3P. I checked on it today and unfortunately there were no bugs or coins in it. Nothing written in the log book either. Just the last finders who are well known in the area. Obviously the work of a cache maggot with too much time on his hands to do any constructive. I tell ya, some peoples children. :laughing:

GCPIR8 = "Geocache Pirate" ?

That was the first thing that caught my eye before I even checked out this persons profile

If you click on "see the history" under inventory (on the cache page), you can still see which coins were dropped in there (even though the logs were deleted). All of the coins show a location of with GCPIR8 now.

And they are still all listed under GCPIR8's inventory of trackables (even though their logged cache finds have been removed). Was this a poor attempt to disguise the theft of these coins? I wonder if it's worth contacting the owner's of each trackable and let them know that something may be amiss. Or should I leave well enough alone?

A cacher in my area, Skottikus, emailed GCPIR8 and received a reply. He is what Skottikus posted on the Kingston Area Geocachers (KAG) forum: Link

I was able to contact the individual in question and he assures me that this was part of a "school experiment". He was unaware of the reaction from the coin/TB owners or the caching community in general and he and his friends always intended to release them again.

You should be seeing the travellers returned to a cache near you in the immediate future. Except for some history/mileage inaccuracies that owners can correct themselves later, no harm, no foul.

My sense from the sincerity of his/her reply is that this individual/group is not associated with any coincidental damage reported below or recent missing caches in the KAG area.

Hopefully the individual is sincere and we shall see things back in circulation soon. To me, if he was knowledgeable enough about moving bugs, then how could he not realize the reaction it would cause?

I'll post again if I here anything more.

GCPIR8 found Kingston "Super 38" TB Hotel (Traditional Cache) at 2/18/2009

Log Date: 2/18/2009

The trackables stated here are really there and were placed there this morning. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused everyone.

It seems as if GCPIR8 has placed all of the trackables back into my cache. I will check it out hopefully either tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

Looks like this story may have a happy ending after all.

Cheers! :laughing:

Bill

Well I went to check on my cache this evening. All the coins and TBs are there. Now my cache is loaded with travellers! I guess all is right with the world again.

So if anyone is travelling between Toronto and Montreal in the near future, please stop by my cache Kingston "Super 38" TB Hotel (GC1DT3P) and pick up some coins or TBs.

Cheers! :laughing:

Well I went to check on my cache this evening. All the coins and TBs are there. Now my cache is loaded with travellers! I guess all is right with the world again.

So if anyone is travelling between Toronto and Montreal in the near future, please stop by my cache Kingston "Super 38" TB Hotel (GC1DT3P) and pick up some coins or TBs.

Cheers! :)

Well seeing as how I started this thread, I just might have to take you up on your suggestion, head out that way this Sunday and pick up a few of these and get them moving along.

Hello: Skyecat forwarded me this forum "thread." I have not participated before in a forum. But I reported the strange behaviour of GCPIR8 to Groundspeak on Feb. 16th, because I knew all those coins and bugs could not possibly have been in the middle of Algonquin Park unless the cacher had a helicopter at his/her/their disposal. Glad to see my Travel Adventure Guide (Waterfront Trail Medallion) which had just been launched at Baci Ball, has apparently been placed in Dog Trails Updated. If anyone can confirm that for me, I would appreciate it. I am off to Ottawa tomorrow for the weekend and plan to stop by the Kingston TB Motel now and will pick up a few items to take on to Ottawa, and a few to bring back to Durham. Glad to see it was a benevolent PIR8. Would love to hear the details of the "school experiment." Seems to me it must have been a crew of pirates, unless this person travelled widely over southern Ontario over two days. Anyway, know I'm really thinking about planning a canoe trip to Lake Lavielle to do that remote cache. Skyecat, do you canoe?????

Active by Nature