Garmap Africa Series 2009

Geoff Ogden

Should be available everywhere during this week. I picked up my copy yesterday at a local 4x4 Garmin agent. And thank goodness it only cost R10 this time round. See a little change in the way it looks when i use Mapsource here and there i see some street changes Although today I found an uncharted road past some historical sites... I am guessing that they may be in the Topo maps though... Will consider ungrading later in the year to the Topo Maps so I can get the upgrade for next year at no extra cost... I hope.... LOL

I got my upgrade for a R10 from 4x4 World here by Edenvale Hyperama, oops Checker Hyper.

Loaded it up, it went online, and registered it, using the free upgrade option, and it activated no problem.

I like the new colours. It is less cartoonish, then the old colours. Also nice new Icon on the desktop, rather then the old pale world icon.

I like the new colours. It is less cartoonish, then the old colours. Also nice new Icon on the desktop, rather then the old pale world icon.

Anton,

You've upgraded more than only the maps - Mapsource too.

A lot about the different Mapsource versions was said here:

http://www.garmap.co.za/Forum/forum_posts....D=5231&PN=1

Well, I'm back to ver. 6.13.7 - quicker and stable on XP.

Anton

Anton,

You've upgraded more than only the maps - Mapsource too.

A lot about the different Mapsource versions was said here:

http://www.garmap.co.za/Forum/forum_posts....D=5231&PN=1

Well, I'm back to ver. 6.13.7 - quicker and stable on XP.

Anton

Must say that 6.13.7 works a hell of a lot better than the newer version, in all aspects.

Please confirm for me:

- if I have the 2007 version of SA maps - I can upgrade to 2009 - for R10?

Is this correct?

And the 2009 version contains updated roads etc. and the newer version of Mapsource?

Have I missed something?

The DVD costs R10-00, insert the DVD into your PC connect your GPS and follow the wizard instructions.

The GARMAP site will let you know what the upgrade will cost (should be R349-00) for the new unlock code.

Please confirm for me:

- if I have the 2007 version of SA maps - I can upgrade to 2009 - for R10?

Is this correct?

And the 2009 version contains updated roads etc. and the newer version of Mapsource?

Have I missed something?

The DVD costs R10-00, insert the DVD into your PC connect your GPS and follow the wizard instructions.

The GARMAP site will let you know what the upgrade will cost (should be R349-00) for the new unlock code.

Thanks - thought I'd missed a trick! :unsure:

I am pretty new to Garmin and their software, so I did not realise MapSource was also upgraded.

Jors you said you went back to 6.13 because it is more stable? Has it crashed on our PC? I have been the new version since Saturday, with no problems. My impression was that the new version was faster then the previous version. Will look at it a little more and see what happens.

I am pretty new to Garmin and their software, so I did not realise MapSource was also upgraded.

Jors you said you went back to 6.13 because it is more stable? Has it crashed on our PC? I have been the new version since Saturday, with no problems. My impression was that the new version was faster then the previous version. Will look at it a little more and see what happens.

DH, It "seems to work fine" if you have a single mapset, but with more than one mapset it definitely gets flakey. After experiencing some of the issues mentioned in the thread below I have reverted back to 6.13.6 until the bugs are fixed.

Read this thread marked as BEWARE

In summary the consensus seems to be:-

XP users: MapSource 6.13.7

Vista Users: MapSource 6.13.6

These are also the versions recommended for Nuvi users doing a map upgrade from Plug and Play to Mapsource

Older versions: available here

Edited by GlobalRat

I tried yesterday and both Firefox and Chrome gave me Internet Explorer error messages?? Don't even have IE on the machine and I guess that might be the problem?

Your guess is on the button! For the online payment system you have to use IE.

There are other manual methods though.

Thanks Jors got it sorted, but what a dissapointment. I updated my old version 1 topo and recreational map and lo and behold not only were there no paths or mountain tracks updated, they have been removed from the map altogether! They have put in all the street names but some of the points of interest are laughable. The Skeleton Gorge hiking trail (marker, no trail) is under the cable station and the restaurant is shown 180 below the summit on the way to Discombob's Kloof Corner difficult which should be fun if you just need a cup of coffee!

As yet I have had no answer from Avnic in this regard

Thanks Jors got it sorted, but what a dissapointment. I updated my old version 1 topo and recreational map and lo and behold not only were there no paths or mountain tracks updated, they have been removed from the map altogether! They have put in all the street names but some of the points of interest are laughable. The Skeleton Gorge hiking trail (marker, no trail) is under the cable station and the restaurant is shown 180 below the summit on the way to Discombob's Kloof Corner difficult which should be fun if you just need a cup of coffee!

As yet I have had no answer from Avnic in this regard

If you trawl the Garmap forum you will find that these issues have been logged, but it's great that you have informed them as well. It seems as though they spent all their effort on the TMC version and the Topo version has gone for a loop. There’s quite a few bugs, but they largely seem to be restricted to the Topo and DEM versions sofar. Some other issues that I noticed and that are logged: the tiles along the coast display strange behaviour when zooming in, either there is no sea (topo) or it’s still marked as terra firma (DEM). Zooming out to 70km, all the main roads in SA disappear. So far I haven’t had any hassles routing around JHB on the GPSr but there are some reports of strange routing behaviour on some of the national roads.

The new Mapsource versions (Garmin) also still appear to be as buggy as ever, think I’m going to go back to the older version (6.13.6) which worked fine and I still think the new display sucks, it’s slow and fuzzy compared to the old version.

You are probably aware that Garmap has updated the 2009 series - I have had some correspondence from them admitting that the lack of paths and trails was an oversight and it would be fixed on the next release.

Well that is out - now to get the new DVD (or upload from their site) and to see if indeed it has more use to us mountain walkers. :ph34r:

Went to Cape Union M and they say all the new version data disk were recalled, but not the ones with coupons??

Sure sounds like they were taking a chance, trying to sell you the coupon one. Or, they were referring to the version before the UPDATE, or they could be out of stock.

Some salespeople have this habit of not always being honest :unsure:

Havent seen anything resembling a recall on the Garmap forums though.

Phone around in your area, you might find some copies.

This may seem like a silly question, but I couldn't get any advice from the people at Cape Union or anything...! I know that the software is linked to one handset, that's fine. But is it linked to the PC that you download it with? I'm worried that if I use my work PC to download it and load it onto my handset, I'm stuck using my work PC forever. Can anyone advise?

Sure sounds like they were taking a chance, trying to sell you the coupon one. Or, they were referring to the version before the UPDATE, or they could be out of stock.

Some salespeople have this habit of not always being honest :o

Occam's Razor might apply here - never mistake stupidity for dishonesty!

And in reply to TaraLB - you shoudl be able to install Mapsource to multiple PCs - you will of couse only be able to update the unit you have (or all the units for which unlocking codes have been registered oin the pc)

Garmin make this far too complicated in my opinion - and for all the "protection" they have tried to build in is pretty useless - have google? - get free maps!

Trev

And in reply to TaraLB - you shoudl be able to install Mapsource to multiple PCs - you will of couse only be able to update the unit you have (or all the units for which unlocking codes have been registered oin the pc)

Trev

OK so, I can have map source on various PC's, but if I want to update software, I can only use one pc?

Occam's Razor might apply here - never mistake stupidity for dishonesty!

Sure Trev, a valid point. If doubt exists, the stupid (or uninformed) should get the benefit.

I'd rather be labelled 'stupid' than 'dishonest' :o

OK so, I can have map source on various PC's, but if I want to update software, I can only use one pc?

No, you can use any one of the pc's or laptops mapsource is installed on to load maps to your GPSr, provided you unlocked mapsource to that specific GPSr.

No, you can use any one of the pc's or laptops mapsource is installed on to load maps to your GPSr, provided you unlocked mapsource to that specific GPSr.

Forgive me for being SO blonde about this...I have just a few more questions. But first it might help to have the whole story. I was given my GPS for Christmas with no software loaded (there's a long story for that but it's not important). I was under teh impression that I could buy a micro SD card preloaded with teh software, but found out I couldn't do that. So I bought the DVD which will unlock the software online. I have the orginal MapSource software that came with the GPS on my personal laptop. I now want to upgrade that and get the maps on my actual hand-held.

So, basically what it boils down to is this: if I don't have MapSouce on my Work PC at all, can I still use my work PC to download the software from Garmap? or will I have to use my personal PC to do that?

Edit: another way of looking at it is this: Suppose I use my work laptop to get the maps now (this afternoon) and then in 6months time, a new update is available, which I want to download. However, in the meantime, I have changed jobs and left my work laptop behind. Will I be able to use my new computer to get onto garmap and download the software update? Or will Garmap kick me out because I am not using the same computer as I originally did to download the maps?

Edited by TaraLB

OK maybe an even blonder question, Like TaraLB, I am pretty new to the whole Garmin thing, what is Mapsource all about and how does it benefit me regarding geocaching as well as regular use of a Garmin for day to day travels/use?

Is there any way that I can get the Garmin to show a display of my position on a real image like Google Earth images?

Let me try.

Malo

Mapsource is a program on your pc that displays the same maps that your garmin navigator does. You can work out routes find POI and just check out the map. You can also use mapsource to upload maps to your unit. You can also use Mapsource to download waypoints (your favorites) and upload way-points.

I must confess with GE/Google maps providing routing and turn by turn instructions, I never use mapsource. Since I loaded the maps I need I have not really used it. I don;t think its that helpful for geocaching. You can of course upload a list of caches to mapsource but to get the nice descriptions you need GSAK and the POILoader.

If you are planning a trip Mapsource is cool.

As for displaying satelite imagery on your Nuvi - not so easy. You can get data and hack it but I don't know how. I believe Garmin is coming out with some offering that gives you access to this.

Lara

As described above Mapsource is the program which allows you to browse the maps and send them to your unit. If you download the new maps on your work laptop all you need to do is copy that file to a DVD, thumbdrive or your own PC and you can install it on both. As long as you keep your unlock code handy you should have no problem.

But the update DVD only costs R10 and that you can keep for ever. Personally I have never had ANY utility from upgrading to a new map - badly mapped areas in Cape Town have remained badly mapped over at least three updates. The map update that came out last year September was full of errors and and new update has been issued to fix those problems but people are complaining that POI and info is missing. Register your unit with garmap.co.za then you can get help from them if you ever lose your unlock code

I am guessing my nuvi 200 will be dead before the map becomes so out of date that it is not useable. I certainly would not pay for any updates. When you buy a unit it comes installed with te latest, unless anb update has just been issued in which case you are normally entitle to a free update.

The garmap system is needless complicated For Instance the Name is STrretmaps 2009 sencmd edition but it is coded as 2009-I (fo figure) the update to this os called second edition update and coded 2009-Iu. Now you must decide between NNT (non-traffic) and TMC (traffic) maps

The traffic designating that you can receive traffic updates in real time to avoid delays on your way to work or wherever.

ALso garmap supposedly do one major update and one minor update (except when they don't) per year and much like windows you never know when the maps will actually be released!

Now my reply is as confusing as Garmaps system so you might have to wait for Jors to set the matter straight.

To summarize - install once upload once and forget it.

Trev

Thanks Trevor for your as usual appropriate, accurate and informative reply. I agree about it being made complicated. We are lucky to have you and these forums to help us, I feel sorry for those that dont have these to help them along. Surely if the products are easy to use and well explained, then people would know about and be able to use all the features they would sell more units. It kind of seems a bit like being sold a can (of cooldrink) and not being explained :

a) that there is something inside.

:D how to open it.

c) making it really tough to get the can open

Once again - thanks Trevor

Hi All,

I got some excellent help here: http://www.garmap.co.za/forum//forum_posts...=6587&TPN=1

My basic problem was that I had NO info on my handset at all. I konw about the problems with MapSource, but as I share my GPS with my significant other, who needs the maps for PhD work...some broken software is better than none.

Thanks everyone for your help! Especially iNokia who called me when he was in town to see if there was anything he could do!!

Now my reply is as confusing as Garmaps system so you might have to wait for Jors to set the matter straight.Trev

Trev,

Nothing to set straight here. :D

Personally I've been using Mapsource since 2001 and Garmap from 2002, and got used to their ways, but as you say, there is nothing better than GSAK for managing cache co-ordinates.

Also, Garmap has much more info in certain categories compared to Google Earth, I'm not giving up the use of either.

If you think about it, Garmap is not that complicated:

1.Want update? Buy DVD for R10, OR legally borrow or copy from a friend;

2. Pop DVD in PC and follow the prompts;

3. Fork out some cash;

4. Result is updated maps on PC and GPSr.

Eezy Peezy... :D

Mmm, eezy peezy sê jy...

Bought Colorado 300. Installed Streetmaps that came with the buy, no problem. Then bought Garmap DEM and Topo codes. 4 nights later, fuming, I got it right. After a few months, the buggy Colorado shook itself to pieces on the bike (mini-USB port), so got replacement Colorado from Avnic. 3 nights later, after figuring out Garmap has to make changes on their database - which they did wrong at first, and the stupid Colorado at least had something on the screen. This one in particular hung up right in the middle of the veld, not even taking the batteries out would fix it sometimes!

Fortunately it broke again after another few months. I was not ready to struggle again, so rather spent a few nights searching for guides. Tried a couple, found the best one, now I was in charge for a change. :D

When Colorado #3 broke after the obligatory few months (as I told them it would), they offered me the Oregon 300. This time it took one evening only and I was sorted with a unit that worked! Until a friend climbed on my bike and fell Oregon #1 to pieces (well, totally ripping out the mini-USB) Avnic called it 'abuse' this time and offered a 'core swop', so friend paid for that.

Another evening to sort out Oregon #2 (thus Garmin #5) - eezy peezy :D

Then, in December I hit a bridge (off-road) and Oregon went a-flying in pieces. Took 30 minutes to find parts and batteries, full of marks and scratches, but all working when I put it together again. And so far so good - every firmware upgrade for the Oregon makes it better! While the Colorado gets ignored by Garmin... :D

So ja, it's painful when I see how people new to the strange Garmin/Garmap world battle...

Edited by dakardrix
;) Got the data disk and eventually got it installed! YaY - The tracks seem to have been put back, but they have snuck a shop onto Table Mountain just at the top of Platteklip Gorge and the restaurant is still 193m below the summit on the way to Kloof Corner difficult! The top of Skeleton gorge hiking trail starts under the cable way on Africa Face? :huh::) Now to wait for the updated update!

Trev,

Nothing to set straight here. ;)

Personally I've been using Mapsource since 2001 and Garmap from 2002, and got used to their ways, but as you say, there is nothing better than GSAK for managing cache co-ordinates.

Also, Garmap has much more info in certain categories compared to Google Earth, I'm not giving up the use of either.

3. Fork out some cash;

Eezy Peezy... :huh:

No I'm sorry, it is not that easy. If it were that easy I would not have spent three days trying to get it sorted out!!

And now, I've hit ANOTHER snag.

I know it is possible to have mapsource unlocked on more than one computer. I have read on the Garmap forums how to do it (http://www.garmap.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2941&PN=1), followed their step-by-step (http://www.garmap.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3381&PN=1), and yet it still doesn't frikking work!! The only option it give me to unlock the maps is to 'Unlock Online'. Which tells me that I've already used that serial number/unlock key and won't let me finish unlocking the maps I JUST BOUGHT onto a second computer.

I have seriously had it with Garmin and their bloody software.

Edit: Righjt, I have got it working. But still. SO NOT IMPRESSED!!! Gift horse, mouth...no comment.

Edited by TaraLB

Trev,

Nothing to set straight here. :)

3. Fork out some cash;

Eezy Peezy... B)

No I'm sorry, it is not that easy. If it were that easy I would not have spent three days trying to get it sorted out!!

And now, I've hit ANOTHER snag.

I know it is possible to have mapsource unlocked on more than one computer. I have read on the Garmap forums how to do it (http://www.garmap.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2941&PN=1), followed their step-by-step (http://www.garmap.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3381&PN=1), and yet it still doesn't frikking work!! The only option it give me to unlock the maps is to 'Unlock Online'. Which tells me that I've already used that serial number/unlock key and won't let me finish unlocking the maps I JUST BOUGHT onto a second computer.

I have seriously had it with Garmin and their bloody software.

Edit: Righjt, I have got it working. But still. SO NOT IMPRESSED!!! Gift horse, mouth...no comment.

:huh: Run mapsource on 3 machines and never had a problem installing and uploading the unlock codes to the other machines.

Glad you came right eventually. I'm sure you will not forget the pain you went through and it will be a cinch the next time ;)

:unsure: Got the data disk and eventually got it installed! YaY - The tracks seem to have been put back, but they have snuck a shop onto Table Mountain just at the top of Platteklip Gorge and the restaurant is still 193m below the summit on the way to Kloof Corner difficult! The top of Skeleton gorge hiking trail starts under the cable way on Africa Face? :D:o Now to wait for the updated update!

Have you tried the Tracks4Africa map for trails on Table Mountain? When Cape Doc had my GPSr loaded with both Garmap and T4A on loan for a day, he said to me that he wasn't too impressed by the T4A map at the time. I've now got the new beta release that seems to have more tracks than it did when he was using it. The map is cheaper to buy, as you only need to buy Western & Nothern Cape for example. It's not nearly as good as Garmap for street navigation, but that's not where T4A's focus is. It's more aimed at outdoor enthusiasts and covers 4x4 trails, hiking, etc.

The advantage of T4A is that they make it very easy to send new tracks to them and then quickly incorporate them into their latest beta release, which gets distributed about once a month to all who contribute. It strikes me that if all the cachers who walk the mountain on a regular basis do this, pretty quickly all the trails on the mountain will be reliably mapped. Just think how useful that would be to other cachers and foreign tourists (and even the rescue parties who are sent out to fetch them).

If anyone is interested in contributing tracks, I will be happy to arrange this off forum (without purchase), PROVIDED that they will undertake to submit their tracks to T4A and so contribute to building the map.

Edited by gr8scot