Viewing Oregon 400t with Polarized Sunglasses

teamdw

Any one else having this problem?

Ther's no problem - that is a restriction due the techonology of LCD-Displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD --> "..Each pixel of an LCD typically consists of a layer of molecules aligned between two transparent electrodes, and two polarizing filters, the axes of transmission of which are (in most of the cases) perpendicular to each other. With no actual liquid crystal between the polarizing filters, light passing through the first filter would be blocked by the second (crossed) polarizer..."

So you sunglasses are polaized in that direction that they block the polarized light from the LCD. With sunglasses that are polarized in other direction, you will be able to see the display. Try to turn your sunglasses 90°

Edited by bonstetten

Yes - annoying isn't it? I have the same problem. Polarized sunglasses usually have the plane of polarization vertical as they are designed to block low angle reflections from the ground/sea etc which are always polarized in one plane. Rotating your sunglasses will fix the Oregon but make them into poor sunglasses.

The manufacturers of devices with LCD displays know about this problem and usually try and orient the LCD filter at 90° to this so that the display isn't blocked. Hopefully you can read your car radio and iPod displays.

My guess as to what went wrong with the Oregon is that they oriented the polarizing filter for 'landscape' operation just like a Nuvi (as the Oregon seems to me to be a very close cousin to Nuvis) and forgot that in this case it was actually a 'portrait' device.

Doh! <_<

I have no problems viewing my Oregon 300 screen with polarized glasses on. If I turn it sideways it turns black but if I look straight-on it's fine and actually looks a bit more contrasty.

I know that fishfinder manufacturers take great care to align the screens properly so fishermen, who almost always wear polarized glasses, can look at them straight-on without a hitch (imagine having to turn your head all day to see the screen). Maybe your Oregon was an early model and they fixed the screen alignment since (pure speculation). Most manufacturers are aware of the alignment and adjust it so that it's just fine oriented for normal use.

Edited by yogazoo

I'll agree with Yogazoo - my new Oregon 400t doesn't have any issue with viewing with PL sunglasses. I have a set of linear polarized prescription glasses - the create a bit of a 'rainbow effect' at certain angles but no real visibility issues for me.

I wonder if you have an earlier model with a different polarizing screen if Garmin would consider warranty replacement?