Pursuit of Caching Pie Coin

applewomyn

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Anyone who has already reserved a coin, I've got your reservation and will keep it in the order it was received. Given the confusion and feedback about the coin, I've decided to just sell the coins in full sets (base + all 6 colors). Every 10th coin reserved will be an LE (nickel base with bronze pieces) as I prefer to keep SOME surprise in all of this. So if the first person order 3 coins, the second person 3 coins and the third person 5 coins, the third person gets an LE and so on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED ORIGINAL POST...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have a new coin in production and I’m currently taking reservation (no payment required). The coin is the Pursuit of Caching Pie coin and features removable “pie” pieces held in place by small magnets (see image). Samples are currently in production and full production is expected in July. Here are the coin details:

Specifications:

Base: 2” diameter, 3mm thick w/ soft enamel

Pieces: 1mm think and will fit into base, held by magnets

250 coins and NO RE-MINT

225 sets will include nickel attachable pieces

25 sets will have a nickel base, but will feature bronze attachable pieces to make an LE set. LE coins cannot be order - they will be sent to the folks who order every 10th coin.

Prices and Shipping:

$10.50 per coin

US shipping will be $2.00 for the first coin + .50 for each additional coin

International shipping will be $2.50 first coin + .50 each additional coin

How to Reserve:

Reserve the coin by mailing applewomyn at bellsouth dot net. Please list the subject as “Pursuit of Caching Pie” and include the following information:

Paypal Email Address:

Preferred Email Address for Communication:

Name:

Number of coins:

If I get advanced reservations for more than 250 coins, I will invoice for orders in the order they were received. When they're gone, they're gone so get your reservation in early!

trivia_pie_coin.jpg

Edited by applewomyn

I'm not a mathmatician by any means, but wouldn't you need a mulitple of six to allow folks to create a LE version with all colors?

Wow - I was wondering how long it would take someone to point that out! Yes, there will actually be 252 coins to allow for an even number of sets - I just rounded off to 250 in the listing.

I'm not a mathmatician by any means, but wouldn't you need a mulitple of six to allow folks to create a LE version with all colors?

Wow - I was wondering how long it would take someone to point that out! Yes, there will actually be 252 coins to allow for an even number of sets - I just rounded off to 250 in the listing.

So, will there be 24 or 30 of the LE's? Or will you be shipping the 25 LEs with completed sets?

.......Each coin will be sold with six pie pieces, but it would be too easy if they were complete sets! Instead, all 6 pieces will be the same color. One person might get all green while another gets all yellow. Buyers will have to trade pieces to get a full set. Just to make things a little more fun, there will be 25 bronze pie sets! The base/holder will always be nickel, but 25 sets of the pie pieces will be bronze which will allow 25 lucky folks to assemble an LE coin.......

ok, rifleman81 asked my first question and it's been answered, now my second question

How do you get 25 LE editions out of 6 color combos... only 24 LE's maybe? or 25 of each color? leaving you with 150 LE's?

Some may find this appealing, but I think I'll pass... it would be my luck I'd end up with a mix matched pie or be missing 1 piece of a LE version. I'd much rather purchase it all 6 colors of my pie at the same time. This is just leaving the door open for problems IMHO as someone will have a mint coin and then end up trading for a pie piece that is scratched or damaged in some way as they will have to be handled in order to get them out to trade individual pieces. I prefer mine to stay in thier protective cover.

Great idea though... course I could be thinking wrong too... if you care to clarify?...

Wow - ok, this is enough to confuse even me, so let me clarify. I thought folks would actually enjoy trading these, not for the trading itself, but because complete sets would then be far more valuable down the road. So when I originally conceived this idea, I thought of three ways it might work:

1. People could order a complete set (base + all 6 color pieces) and there would be no LE sets.

2. People could order a base and would get a random selection of six colors (e.g. 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 pink, 2 blue) and would have to trade to complete the set.

3. People could order a base and it would come with six of all the same color requiring each person to trade with 5 other people to get a full set

With options 2 and 3 in play, I thought it would be fun to randomly through in bronze pieces so that someone who received a random bronze piece could trade it or keep and try to collect all of the pieces needed for a full LE set.

What I failed to calculate in scenario 3 is that by sending all six of all the same color, it would throw off the number of piece pieces needed to make the sets. Since these coins are still in the "samples" stage, I'll let you all decide what you prefer! I will do one of the three options above based on popular opinion. I'm going to edit the original post to request input. So, you decide - would you rather get a complete set and not trade or go with one of the other two options in which I'll offer and LE option???? Oh choices... :D

Wow - ok, this is enough to confuse even me, so let me clarify. I thought folks would actually enjoy trading these, not for the trading itself, but because complete sets would then be far more valuable down the road. So when I originally conceived this idea, I thought of three ways it might work:

1. People could order a complete set (base + all 6 color pieces) and there would be no LE sets.

2. People could order a base and would get a random selection of six colors (e.g. 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 pink, 2 blue) and would have to trade to complete the set.

3. People could order a base and it would come with six of all the same color requiring each person to trade with 5 other people to get a full set

With options 2 and 3 in play, I thought it would be fun to randomly through in bronze pieces so that someone who received a random bronze piece could trade it or keep and try to collect all of the pieces needed for a full LE set.

What I failed to calculate in scenario 3 is that by sending all six of all the same color, it would throw off the number of piece pieces needed to make the sets. Since these coins are still in the "samples" stage, I'll let you all decide what you prefer! I will do one of the three options above based on popular opinion. I'm going to edit the original post to request input. So, you decide - would you rather get a complete set and not trade or go with one of the other two options in which I'll offer and LE option???? Oh choices... :D

I guess I'd go for door #4 :D

Similar to the 12 days of caching or puzzle set of geocoins, have each one be large enough to be a regular coin with a tracking number, and the combination of the correct 6 "slices" would give you the full text on the back side of the coins. Getting either all 6 to be the same color or all different colors would be extra credit for the trader(s) involved! :D

The set of royal flush poker geocoins certainly lead to a bunch of trading, but I think that was more because each one was trackable, not sure I could justify the postage of mailing around to 5 different folks to collect the tiny color swatches to attach to the main coin. :D

Although that would increase the cost significantly for a collector trying to assemble a full wheel, as well as the size of the mint run in order to produce the same number of sets. Doh!

OH, so it might be feasible if a person reserved 1 set and then maybe reserve again later on hopefully making their odds of getting a LE :D:D a reality?

Yes, that might be a strategy! I've already had the first LE coin reserved and we're on our way to the second... who will it be?! I won't announce the LE recipients as it will entirely depend on whether those who have reserved actually end up buying a coin. Literally, every 10th coin I put in an envelope for mailing will be an LE!

OH, so it might be feasible if a person reserved 1 set and then maybe reserve again later on hopefully making their odds of getting a LE :D:D a reality?

Yes, that might be a strategy! I've already had the first LE coin reserved and we're on our way to the second... who will it be?! I won't announce the LE recipients as it will entirely depend on whether those who have reserved actually end up buying a coin. Literally, every 10th coin I put in an envelope for mailing will be an LE!

And I had to go leak the secret formula :D

And I had to go leak the secret formula :D

Well - you could also end up ordering #9 and #15 and get no LE instead of ordering 2 coins at the same time and get #9 and #10 (LE)

I think there is no secret formula - just luck... :D

All - thank you for your interest in the Pursuit of Caching Pie coin. Unfortunately, I just learned from the mint that they mis-estimated the job. I priced these coins based on what the mint was going to charge me and now that they are changing their estimate, I am unable to offer these coins at the price I listed. Further, I'm pretty frustrated with the mint and have decided not to move forward with production of the coin at this time. Should I carry the project forward in the future, I will honor the pre-reservations I received. My apologies for an inconvenience.

All - thank you for your interest in the Pursuit of Caching Pie coin. Unfortunately, I just learned from the mint that they mis-estimated the job. I priced these coins based on what the mint was going to charge me and now that they are changing their estimate, I am unable to offer these coins at the price I listed. Further, I'm pretty frustrated with the mint and have decided not to move forward with production of the coin at this time. Should I carry the project forward in the future, I will honor the pre-reservations I received. My apologies for an inconvenience.
Awww that is to bad...we were looking forward to this cool coin idea becomming a reality.

Thank for the heads up

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

I'm confused (nothing new but I thought I'd just ask anyway...LoL). I just got an email about this coin that says you are taking reservations. But here it says you decided not to move forward with production.

What am I missing?

I'm confused (nothing new but I thought I'd just ask anyway...LoL). I just got an email about this coin that says you are taking reservations. But here it says you decided not to move forward with production.

What am I missing?

Me also????

What am I missing?

Me also????

After sending out an email to the group who made reservations about the pricing issue and receiving a unanimously positive response, I've decided to move forward with the project. Coins will be offered at $12 each and I have retained all reservations made to date. Going forward, I will update those who have made reservations on status via personal email.

After sending out an email to the group who made reservations about the pricing issue and receiving a unanimously positive response, I've decided to move forward with the project. Coins will be offered at $12 each and I have retained all reservations made to date. Going forward, I will update those who have made reservations on status via personal email.

I'm glad to hear you are moving forward, as I think your coin is very cool. :lol:

Now I may be having a brain toot (that happens to me sometimes now that I'm over 40 *grumble*) but I don't recall placing a reservation for the coin - yet - so I'm curious as to how you got my email? I'm not upset with you at all, but as the notice to my email didn't come through Groundspeak, I guess I'm asking if some other company sold or gave you my contact information?

If so, I'd like to know who that was.

And if I am - in fact - having a brain toot then my humble apologies up front. But I'm pretty sure I was still thinking about it and hadn't contacted you yet. So I'm left wondering...

Is everyone in the list also on the address book. I recieved an e-mail and I am in the address book. ;) It don't bother me much if that is where they got it from. That's why I am in there.

Ahhhh.....the address book. Of course! ;)

*whacks palm on forehead*

Doh! :rolleyes:

Since I recently joined the book is the only reason I thought of this. Getting the e-mail was almost like getting a mystery coin in the mail (though I have never recieved one out of the blue). I am glad people use the book for notifications like this. As long as no one abuses it.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that samples of the Pursuit of Caching Pie coin arrived today. The look GREAT and their HUGE! I forgot just how big a 2" coin looks! You can see photos below. Please note the following details about the final coins:

1. The sample shown in the photos features a blue "base" for the pieces. Just like the game pieces, I plan to have the front of the base done in all of the different "pie" colors. Colors will be distributed at random. So for the regular edition coins there will be 225 complete nickel sets with the following number of colored bases:

- 38 Blue

- 38 Green

- 38 Yellow

- 37 Pink

- 37 Brown

- 37 Orange

This means that each color will be very limited in quantity and therefore very collectible for you! For those of you who reserve multiple coins, I will do my best to ensure that you only receive one of any given color.

2. For the 25 limited edition coins - I've decided to do the whole base as well as the pieces in bronze. The LEs bases will be bronze throughout with no colored enamel fill on the front of the base - so there will be bronze between the pie pieces instead of coloring. These should look *really* nice! Again, LEs will be distributed randomly as every 10th coin mailed.

I should have the final coins in about 2 weeks and will begin invoicing those holding reservations on the day they arrive. For those of you who've been holding out for the coin arrival date, get your reservations in now for one of these great coins! The price is $12+S&H.

PHOTOS

pursuit_front.jpg

pursuit_back.jpg

pursuit_pieces.jpg

Those are really nice :unsure: But your tracking number is showing :drama:

Just a quick update to let everyone know that samples of the Pursuit of Caching Pie coin arrived today. The look GREAT and their HUGE! I forgot just how big a 2" coin looks! You can see photos below. Please note the following details about the final coins:

1. The sample shown in the photos features a blue "base" for the pieces. Just like the game pieces, I plan to have the front of the base done in all of the different "pie" colors. Colors will be distributed at random. So for the regular edition coins there will be 225 complete nickel sets with the following number of colored bases:

- 38 Blue

- 38 Green

- 38 Yellow

- 37 Pink

- 37 Brown

- 37 Orange

This means that each color will be very limited in quantity and therefore very collectible for you! For those of you who reserve multiple coins, I will do my best to ensure that you only receive one of any given color.

2. For the 25 limited edition coins - I've decided to do the whole base as well as the pieces in bronze. The LEs bases will be bronze throughout with no colored enamel fill on the front of the base - so there will be bronze between the pie pieces instead of coloring. These should look *really* nice! Again, LEs will be distributed randomly as every 10th coin mailed.

I should have the final coins in about 2 weeks and will begin invoicing those holding reservations on the day they arrive. For those of you who've been holding out for the coin arrival date, get your reservations in now for one of these great coins! The price is $12+S&H.

Edited by BVnLJ

The following email was sent to those who had reservations on 8/19/08:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pursuit of Caching Pie Coin Reservation Holders:

Thank you so much for you patience while I await the final coins from the mint. The initial batch arrived this week and there was a printing error whereby the mint mistaken shipped all of the regular edition coins with the blue base. As you know, the bases were intended to be done in all the different colors of the pie pieces. I am working with the factory now to have the coin order re-done on a rush basis and still expect that they may arrive as early as this Friday. At the very latest, I expect to be shipping these out next week.

It is for exactly this reason that I did not invoice anyone ahead of the actual coin arrival. As soon as the coins arrive (hopefully

Friday) I will start sending invoices via PayPal and get your coins in the mail to you. Thanks again for your patience - this is a really cool coin and I'm sure you'll love them when they arrive!

Sincerely,

Applewomyn (aka Jarrett)