$250.00 which one

North Fork Seeker

If I had $250 I'd go for the Delorme PN-20 with a year subscription to their map service. Hi-res satellite images on your GPSr. Sweet!

Whatever you do, DON'T get the PN20! It's slow as molassas. The PN40 is much faster - and more $$ (300 or so).

There are two trains of thought here. Get the most you can get for $250 and upgrade later as the $$ rolls in, or get everything now.

The first train says to get the GPSMap 60Cx or the Etrex Vista HCx. The 60 is hovering around $250 (Amazon, Erwincomp), and the Vista for $220 (Erwincomp, Adorama).

The second train says get the Etrex Legend HCx. Wallyword online has it for $174, but add $20 after shipping/taxes. Erwincomp has it for $180 with free shipping and no taxes for PA. Maps go for about $80; then you need power coord and dash mount - add another $20-30.

I say get the 60Cx or the Vista HCx, then ask for the accessories for your birthday, Father's Day and/or Xmas.

This unit wll be used mainly for geocaching as I have a nuvi for in my vehicles, so what mapping program will I need?

if it's mainly for geocaching you won't need any mapping program. i use a vista hcx and i really like it. i checked amazon and walmart websites a couple of times a day for a few weeks and snagged it for 165 from target via amazon.

Edited by namiboy

This unit wll be used mainly for geocaching as I have a nuvi for in my vehicles, so what mapping program will I need?

Since you have a vehicle unit, I'd go with Mapsource Topo in your GPS. No, you don't NEED it, but buying a mapping unit without adding maps is kind of a waste. If you aren't adding maps save yourself a hundred + bucks and get a basic unit like the eTrex H.

Topo will show you the terrain features so you will know if there is a cliff, ravine, hill, stream, swamp, etc. between you and the cache. It can be a timer saver by letting you determine which side of a river cache is on or whether it's on top of or at the bottom of a cliff.

Edited by briansnat

I'm in the same boat as you and haven't decided yet... I was eyeing an Earthmate PN-40 for $334 at Walmart with a $50 DeLorme rebate, but I haven't decided if I want to spend that much money. I've never geocached before and was thinking of trying to find an old eTrex on ebay first to try it out.....I'm still thinking....hmmmm...

I'd find another $60 or so and get a PN-40.

I'd echo this one, you'll not go wrong with this unit! But, we're on a budget here and the budget looks like either a Vista or Legend HCx...either one is nice, check out their spec pages and do a bit of homework, you'll figure which unit is best for you!!

Anyone on the fence with buying a PN-40, I couldn't recommend it more! I am in love with mine and am sure anyone buying would be with theirs...and remember that the unit has a money back buffer of 30 days!!! Maps come with the PN-40, but there's also the ability to add more maps (MUCH nicer imagery such as color aerial, hi-res city etc). Nothing more to buy with this unit UNLESS you want to subscribe to the very affordable maps subscription or if you buy the power kit (I recommend this as well).

I have the Vista HCX + Mapsource Topo and have been very happy with it.

Or I could make you a really good deal and sell you my old blue legend for $250 :laughing:

I have an old Blue Legend. I'll sell it to you for $240! :D:laughing:

:laughing::blink::huh:

That's what I'm sending Crab Soul...I hope he likes it! :D

So much for getting $240... :D

The Legend a perfectly good GPS. I'm actually going to give mine to a family member once I see that it won't end up in a drawer...

I've been browsing threads all evening and trying to decide whether to post my own "what do I buy" thread or just piggyback off of one of the numerous ones already in existence. So, here I am.

My budget is similar to this one, $250 being the high end of what I can afford right now. I am brand spanking new to geocaching and intend to take it slow, starting off locally and working my way toward further out and harder to reach/find caches. From what I've read, this is a bit confusing. What I know I is:

- maps that show terrain features are a smart option

- paperless is better

- already have a Tom Tom for the car

- battery life and storage space (i.e. memory) is usually very important in any electronic device

- the two HCx, Legend and Vista, have me confused as to what is different between them

SO please, help me out. I intend to find a few coordinates, grab something to replace the cache with, take along my things and go find a cache. Surely it CAN be that simple, right? Here's hoping at least.

What do I buy?

SO please, help me out. I intend to find a few coordinates, grab something to replace the cache with, take along my things and go find a cache. Surely it CAN be that simple, right?

You don't "replace the cache". The cache stays where you found it. You might trade items inside the cache, but you do not take the whole cache.

I've been browsing threads all evening and trying to decide whether to post my own "what do I buy" thread or just piggyback off of one of the numerous ones already in existence. So, here I am.

My budget is similar to this one, $250 being the high end of what I can afford right now. I am brand spanking new to geocaching and intend to take it slow, starting off locally and working my way toward further out and harder to reach/find caches. From what I've read, this is a bit confusing. What I know I is:

- maps that show terrain features are a smart option

- paperless is better

- already have a Tom Tom for the car

- battery life and storage space (i.e. memory) is usually very important in any electronic device

- the two HCx, Legend and Vista, have me confused as to what is different between them

SO please, help me out. I intend to find a few coordinates, grab something to replace the cache with, take along my things and go find a cache. Surely it CAN be that simple, right? Here's hoping at least.

What do I buy?

The Legend HCX and Vista HCX are similar units. The Vista HCX has a barometric altimeter and an a electronic, magnetic compass. The Legend HCX doesn't

In short this means that the Legend HCX determines direction of travel via the satellites, while the Vista HCX

uses the magnetic pole.

So with the Legend HCX you need to be moving (at a fairly brisk pace) for the GPS to determine direction of travel. With the Vista HCX it can determine directions while you are standing still.

Which is better? Its a matter of preference and budget. There are some geocachers who would never by a GPS with an electronic compass and some who will never consider one with out one.

What do I buy?

YES, Yes, it CAN be that simple! My dad gave me one (he still gives us toys even though he is in his late 60s and we are all in our 40s now) of the etrex Legend HCx s for Christmas, and I am amazed at how fun and easy it has been. A few cache searches and I got the hang of a) how close I was to the actual cache once it said I had arrived and :laughing: how all the different screens give me different info as I go. It is light, the color screens are great, there is a TON of info to be had in a very small package, and I have been quite pleased with how accurate it seems to be, even under trees, and on cloudy days (we dont get much else here in WA this time of year!).

Next quote:

So with the Legend HCX you need to be moving (at a fairly brisk pace) for the GPS to determine direction of travel. With the Vista HCX it can determine directions while you are standing still.

Which is better? Its a matter of preference and budget. There are some geocachers who would never by a GPS with an electronic compass and some who will never consider one with out one.

The above is indeed a clear difference. And I confess, since I did not have any say in which one was given to me, I was dissapointed at first to see after some research that the electronic compass was missing on the Legend. BUT, now that I am used to using the Legend (a whole 6 weeks and 20 or so finds), I am not sure I would use the GPS differently if it WAS there! As for the movement part, I have found that normal walking pace is plenty fast, and even if you stop moving to read it or flip through screens, it does not take long to learn to stay in place - the mechanism is designed to stay oriented to the direction you were last traveling. (ie dont swing around to look at things, it does get confused if you start rotating yourself around while standing in one spot) AND, once again, if you do goof up/spun around and get confused about what direction you were traveling when you stopped, it only takes 3 to 5 steps of forward motion for it to re-orient itself again. There is a compass screen by the way, it just uses the satellite images to create it is all, from what I understand. So far, this has been plenty accurate enough for me.

Well enough rambling - bottom line is: I LOVE my Legend; it has been great fun geocaching with by myself, I have enjoyed sharing it with 10-year-old kids (who handled it no problem!) and other folks newer than I am to geocaching, and I hope to have lots more fun with it and other geocachers in the years to come.

Have fun doing your research, but get out there and just get one man! No matter what you choose you will get used to it and be out there having fun in no time. With the technology advances these days you probably cant go wrong anyway.

OK, enough said.

Cheers,

SeaC2

(whew, got that first forum post out of the way after lurking around a bit; what a relief!)

If you have a Nuvi for your vehicle, you have access to a FREE mapping program. All you need is GSAK and one of the two Nuvi macros available. I just started using the one by pilotsnipes, and it's amazing! The other one can do more but it's a little harder to use. You can find it by scrolling down the gps and technology forum.

well I have narrowed it down to the Vista HCX, the legend HCx, or the 60csx. what do you think?

All are good choices. The 60CSX is over your budget already without maps, but I think it's the finest all around unit available. Since you don't need the road navigation capability it might be overkill.

I'd say shoot for the Vista HCX or Legend HCX and get Mapsource Topo. With your $250 budget you can get the Legend HCX and the Topo software, so that would be my choice.

as usual lots of good advice already, but i just wanted to reiterate that if you have a week or two, just keep checking amazon and walmart websites, i got the vista hcx for 181 delivered. they slap stuff on sale for sometimes hours at a time. i just checked every couple hours for 2 weeks. of course i didn't just sit in front of my computer but you get my drift.

I wouldn't have suggested the csx 60 if I'd known the transition price, but if you can find a way of getting a bit more money I would strongly recomend it. I find that it adds to the fun not knowing exactly were you are going. It has got a basic mapping service but only basic! If you consider this GPS and want maps I think they are around £60.00

Here is a link to the tutorial for the Nuvi macro that I mentioned earlier. This will autoroute you to the cache and put all the cache page info right on your Nuvi. This way you don't have to buy a GPS mapping program if you can't afford it right now.

edit to add: you need the latest version of the macro but the first link has the great tutorial

Edited by hukilaulau