Announcing.... the 2009 South Wales Geocachers Geocoin!

Eclectic Penguin

The 2009 South Wales Geocoin is going to be featured on a Welsh language TV programme tomorrow afternoon, along with a segment that was filmed at our annual event in the Brecon Beacon mountains. This will air in the UK on the Welsh language TV channel S4C.

Although 99% of the people reading this won't be able to watch it on TV, I've heard a whisper that a version with English surtitles will be available somewhere on-line quite soon afterwords...

I'll pass on any further details as and when I find out.

The 2009 South Wales Geocoin is going to be featured on a Welsh language TV programme tomorrow afternoon, along with a segment that was filmed at our annual event in the Brecon Beacon mountains. This will air in the UK on the Welsh language TV channel S4C.

Although 99% of the people reading this won't be able to watch it on TV, I've heard a whisper that a version with English surtitles will be available somewhere on-line quite soon afterwords...

I'm assuming it will be broadcast on S4C on Sky, not that I understand Welsh even though it is a beautiful language.

Just thought Welsh speekers in other parts of the UK might be intrested, and I might even be able to understand the pictures - as long as there not in Welsh as well. :P

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I'm assuming it will be broadcast on S4C on Sky, not that I understand Welsh even though it is a beautiful language.

Just thought Welsh speekers in other parts of the UK might be intrested, and I might even be able to understand the pictures - as long as there not in Welsh as well. :rolleyes:

The coin was featured heavily on the programme, even having some extreme closeups (compromising its serial number - but this was the proof coin so not too worried).

Yes, it was on S4C and there were English language surtitles if you turned on subtitles.

The programme will be available online as of tomorrow for a few days - and this also has English surtitles (click the little owl icon on the player).

http://www.wedi7.com - click on the Wedi3 icon with the TV next to it - The day is "Mercher" (which will appear on the top) and the item is 5 minutes long and appears about 5 minutes in.

... and the TV programme makes it to Groundspeak's Weekly Notification email!

Feel free to "virtually discover" the South Wales coin featured prominently on the programme - this is actually an Oak Coins sample coin made for us prior to the main batch (and has a serial number starting with OS) rather than a real South Wales coin and as such will never go out into general circulation.

Before anyone makes the comment that coins & TBs are special and shouldn't be considered as direct swaps for other items found in caches, I know... but we wanted the South Wales coin to feature in the item and this was the only way to do it without risking losing it "in the edit". Same goes for the inclusion of the paper map... You can see I always like to use maps while Geocaching - my GPSr/PDA is shown several times during the piece and has a Memory Map rolling topographic map constantly on screen - but I hardly ever use the paper kind any more - again this was added on the request of the programme maker and I didn't really mind - especially as the map was a free gift from the event organiser on the day!

The very last comments by the presneters (which wasn't tranlsated as that's done live and couldn't possibly have been anticipated) I really liked...

A high tech teasure hunt game - "It's the difference between chess and draughts" :)

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Just to let you know - for some time I've periodically sold pairs of these coins at a reduction of £1 per pair ordered as fixed price sales on e-bay - however I'm beginning to wonder if this can only be seen in in the UK / Europe as, IIRC, I've had no purchases through that chanel trans-atlantic and the vast majority of sales have been from the UK, which is a very different picture to what happens on my online cart.

Well, I'm currently offering pairs of coins for £12 on my shopping cart - that's a saving of £1 per coin and £2 for the order (roughly $4). This sale is limited to 10 pairs or 1 week from today, whichever comes first.

http://www.eclectic-penguin.org.uk/cart

If you wish to make use of this offer, make sure you chose the option to buy the coins as a pair (SWG3) - if you buy one of each separately, you'll still be charged the full amount.

The Welsh name "Geocelc" was 'coined', so to speak, in October 2007 by an article for GOLWG magazine, after several fruitless attempts to find a Welsh word for the sport. The journalist in who wrote the article is known VERY PERSONALLY to Tortoiseshell! :P

It was subsequently decided within the geocaching community that "Geogelc" was grammatically correct.

Diolch yn fawr!

The Welsh name "Geocelc" was 'coined', so to speak, in October 2007 by an article for GOLWG magazine, after several fruitless attempts to find a Welsh word for the sport. The journalist in who wrote the article is known VERY PERSONALLY to Tortoiseshell! :)

It was subsequently decided within the geocaching community that "Geogelc" was grammatically correct.

Diolch yn fawr!

Almost correct.

Geocelc is correct - it's when the 'io' is added at the end to make it a verb it becomes Geogelcio - the c changes to a g in a mutation called a "treiglad".