Inappropriate Logzzzz....?

infiniteMPG

There is a new geocacher here in the Bradenton/Sarasota area of Florida named demons3d that just started caching a few days ago and this is their first four logs (and since I have a load of caches here, three of them are on my hides) :

Log Date: 2/14/2009 by demons3d

I found the cache and this was my first time doin this. who would be that stupid to hide an ammo box near poison ivy .sheeesh

Log Date: 2/15/2009 by demons3d

it was an easy find but all there was was a log book dude! sheeeeeeeeeesh

why are you people so stupid! the cashe is just a sign!!!!!!!

Log Date: 2/16/2009 by demons3d

the geo is actually in a skele ton and the game the guy was talkin about was polo dude everybody understands polo!

The one about the poison ivy is a trip because the cache has been there for over 2-1/2 years. The one about the skeleton I deleted and emailed them saying for them to re-log their find without saying exactly how the cache is hidden as the challenge of geocaching is for each person to discover things for themselves. My question is if this keeps up do I just start blowing away logs as none of this IMHO are in good taste, do I just shrug my shoulders and move along, or what?

Wow, that's a tough one. I've seen some nasty (whiny) logs before, but this is odd. I'm not sure why this person is into it if all they do is complain. You know for sure (I guess you can infer from my logs too) that they were truly there? There's no flag system on the site, but maybe you can alert one of the moderators? I would certainly take some action (within a local caching group too- more people to pressure this cacher) and let this person know their comments aren't appropriate if these logs continue to happen.

Good luck!

Log Date: 2/14/2009 by demons3d

I found the cache and this was my first time doin this. who would be that stupid to hide an ammo box near poison ivy .sheeesh

it was an easy find but all there was was a log book dude! sheeeeeeeeeesh

why are you people so stupid! the cashe is just a sign!!!!!!!

Log Date: 2/16/2009 by demons3d

the geo is actually in a skele ton and the game the guy was talkin about was polo dude everybody understands polo!

To me, this kind of looks like a sock-puppet account of someone that has a bone to pick with you for whatever reason.

I personally, don't care for pompous logs and would most likely delete them and email the SP and ask them if they would like to re-log the find.

Probably the best way to get rid of him is to ignore him.

Hopefully I won't incur the wrath of Rush fans by saying, "Ditto". My biggest concern would be, if I pursued this actively, I might turn them from being what appears to be a fairly disinterested young cacher into a cache maggot. So long as you leave them to their own discourse, they will either get it some day and become productive members of the caching community, or they will decide this game ain't for them and move on.

i would never delete a legitimate log that contains no spoiler. the logs are the cache's history. apparently those caches' histories include that finder.
I haven't, the only one I deleted was the one explaining exactly what the hide technique was as that really gave away the camo.

To me, this kind of looks like a sock-puppet account of someone that has a bone to pick with you for whatever reason.I personally, don't care for pompous logs and would most likely delete them and email the SP and ask them if they would like to re-log the find.
Picking I would understand but I am not the only owner with these type logs from this user. And from the sounds of them they found the hides, just a little 'tude in the logs. And the only one I deleted I immediately offerred them to relog the find without the spoiler.

As long as there are no spoilers and no off color words used, I'd let the poster show just what a gurk(is that the proper "new" spelling?)they are.
Emailed about the "stupid" comment and also blew it off with a note log after their's but didn't delete. Only log that I deleted was the direct spoiler.

The logs are rude, but I see no reason to delete them if they are legit. They only reflect poorly on him.
The spoiler was the only one I acted upon, the "stupid" comment got a humorous response log and an email, but not intending to delete them.

Not sure the goal of this cacher but definitely a little off base from the "average cacher". Text in the logs and username shows where this person stands, dude..... <_< Just will stand and see where things go but I can also see ticking someone off and having them return and muggle caches.

Edited by infiniteMPG

I just got home from work and rob told me about this problem.....instantly i was extremely IRATE!! :D HOW RUDE and INCONSIDERATE, coming from someone who is very new to the sport!

First of all to help boost your moral :D if it wasnt for you and couple of other cachers in that area (they know who they are) there wouldnt be any caches there to begin with. As i recall at the 1st event we ever attended back in 2005, we learned about the history of Geocaching in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and that there were not any caches there for a very long time. Had it not been for you guys this sport would not have taken off in that area like it has. How many people cache in Sarasota/Bradenton and DONT HIDE CACHES???? but rely upon everyone else to do all the hiding. Many thanks to YOU and everyone else that have hidden caches there and put Sarasota/Bradenton on the map!!! YOU have inspired us and quite a few other cachers out there to come up with unique hides, keep up the good work and creativity.

I would send these people an email and as politely as you can... :( ask why he/she is making rude comments in the log and giving away the location of the cache. If they do not respond in a timely manner delete their log. There is no need for something like that!! If they dont like your caches they dont have to do them, and they would sure be missing out on well over 200 great hides. I would also tell the moderator that put your picture on the goecoin about this problem and see what she recommends.

We are so sorry to hear about something like this happening to anyone, especially our Geocaching mentor!!! :D

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication you put forth to Geocaching!!!! <_<

Team CeDo

Edited by Team CeDo

Sounds like a kid to me from the language and phrasing. Many of my freshmen would say things like that--and think they were being "helpfully honest"-and be amazed to learn they sounded ungrateful and whiny or that their comments were beyond the bounds of what is considered polite.

Not picking on "kids" in general here--just saying that some of them haven't honed their soft skills yet.

... My question is if this keeps up do I just start blowing away logs as none of this IMHO are in good taste, do I just shrug my shoulders and move along, or what?

The guy does a good job of being everything he is whining about. I say leave them and enjoy the show. Heck if they want to be thought of as a stupid putzy and socially retarded dweeb, they are on track to make that dream come true.

The guy does a good job of being everything he is whining about. I say leave them and enjoy the show. Heck if they want to be thought of as a stupid putzy and socially retarded dweeb, they are on track to make that dream come true.
Right now unless they are spoilers I'll let 'em stand as I believe that most people will see the maturity (or lack of) from the posts, and if nothing else I'll have fun composing witty or sarcastic little come-back logs that make their logs less irritating to future cachers (which is more of a concern to me as I don't wish for anyone or anything to discourage anyone from taking up our passion).

Of course unless they get too out of hand then they're toast. Luckily I get instant log alerts at home in the evenings but I also have the ability all day at work to watch so anything too irate I can pick up on quick.

And thanks CeDo's for your kind words and good friendship as that's what keeps me hiding 'em and keeping it challenging and fun. You guys need to head down to Marina Jacks this Saturday (Any Storm in a Port), Greg Billings will rock the place! <_<

Probably the best way to get rid of him is to ignore him.

Hopefully I won't incur the wrath of Rush fans by saying, "Ditto". My biggest concern would be, if I pursued this actively, I might turn them from being what appears to be a fairly disinterested young cacher into a cache maggot. So long as you leave them to their own discourse, they will either get it some day and become productive members of the caching community, or they will decide this game ain't for them and move on.

Rush fans, you mean Mushtang? Probably the wrong Rush. <_< Yeah, I agree with CR. Although the first log regarding the ammo box in poison ivy almost makes me think it's someone messing with you via a sock puppet.