GSAK Macro for the "Settings" Contest

Klemmer

Hi Benchmark Hunters:

Getting ready for the Benchmark "Settings" contest, I wrote a GSAK Macro to pull the SETTING data out of the datasheet description, and put it into the User Data column. The benchmark data in GSAK is normally stored in the "Long Description" location. this has been tested with a fresh download from NGS, and the latest versionof GSAK (ver 7.5.1.28). The conversion from the NGS .dat to the .gpx file (to load into GSAK) can be done with either the the original BMGPX program, or the newer NGS>>GPS program. Both seem to work OK.

Here are some quick instructions

• Modify your GSAK display to show the User Data column in the "View - Add/Delete Columns" menu
  • Copy the macro to your "C:\program files\GSAK\macros" directory (or as required)
  • Open up your GSAK benchmarks database to modify [you can set a filter if desired]
  • Go to the "Macro - Run/Manage" menu
  • Install the macro
  • If you have something in the User Data column, I recommend running the "Clear UserData" macro
  • [if there is something you need in User Data, you are on your own, and can modifythe macro as needed]
  • Run the "Setting to UserData" macro

You should end up with 'SETTING: XX" in the User Data column.

Note that intersection stations do not have a SETTING line, and User Data will be blank

In addition, in several counties I have looked at, other marks (including some Triangulation Station Discs!) do not have SETTING entries. They will be blank also. You can now sort the User Data column by SETTING.

If you don't like the results, or after the contest, or when you want to use the User Data column for something else, just run the "Clear UserData" macro.

The macros are posted over on the GSAK forum HERE

To download the macro from the GSAK forum, I recommend you right click on the download link, then select "Save Link as...", and save it to your "C:\Program Files\GSAK/macros" directory.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

It's been a while, but I put this capability in NGSREAD.

It now has optional labeling (ngsread /labels=settingcode datfile.dat) so that it will show the setting code as the label on each benchmark in a .kml file for viewing with Google Earth. Clicking on a benchmark's icon will show a datasheet with all the recovery information and other data for that benchmark.

I know this is an older thread, and I may have missed what I am about to ask, as I have been pouring over many threads about GSAK. I am using Foxtrots NGS-GPX conversion utility, then GSAK to do all kind of filtering. The macro here by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama works great. Is there also a way (or another macro) to place the monumentation/marker code in a user data field?

The reason I ask, is I would like to be able to filter/select for the chiseled squares and chiseled cross marker types. Thanks for any help or nudges to the answer.

I know this is an older thread, and I may have missed what I am about to ask, as I have been pouring over many threads about GSAK. I am using Foxtrots NGS-GPX conversion utility, then GSAK to do all kind of filtering. The macro here by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama works great. Is there also a way (or another macro) to place the monumentation/marker code in a user data field?

The reason I ask, is I would like to be able to filter/select for the chiseled squares and chiseled cross marker types. Thanks for any help or nudges to the answer.

The quick way to do that search is to use the filter function in GSAK and do a "Full Text Search" for 'chiseled'. It will list all the marks that are either chiseled marks or have a chiseled mark associated with them. You can narrow down the search by using chiseled circle, chiseled cross, etc.

John

The quick way to do that search is to use the filter function in GSAK and do a "Full Text Search" for 'chiseled'. It will list all the marks that are either chiseled marks or have a chiseled mark associated with them. You can narrow down the search by using chiseled circle, chiseled cross, etc.

John

I forgot to add, if you use the full text search that you can use "SETTING: XX" where XX is the number from the Hippo list for setting types.

John

If you can get me a list of the markers, I can write one up for you. I've searched and can't find the list I remember seeing before.

John

I forgot to add, if you use the full text search that you can use "SETTING: XX" where XX is the number from the Hippo list for setting types.

John

Well, that almost makes me feel silly, as it's so simple.....and works great.

If you can get me a list of the markers, I can write one up for you. I've searched and can't find the list I remember seeing before.

If you want to make the macro, then I would sure use it. It would let me easily see the marker on each benchmark. You can find the hippo list here that John described:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/DDPROC4.XX/dformat.documentation.html

I sure don't want to put you out any, as I can do a full text search as John pointed out....but as I said, I will use it if you go to the trouble.

Thanks so much for the help.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=17809&view=findpost&p=126102

Here's the link to the marcro to write the marker type. Let me know what you think or would like different.

Woo-hoo!! You are THE bull.....well, goat I mean. That is fantastic, and I really liked how you had which user data field to use option, and either the marker code or description to show. It was so simple to use.

I added it to the user field 3, and renamed the column 'marker type". I can't tell you how much I appreciate that and how much I will be using it. I owe you (and all of the great people who write these programs and scripts for all of us to use) big time.

I am going to probably be up late now, searching around LA, AR, and MS for certain types I have been wanting to find.

Thanks again. Bobby

With the help of LSUFan I've burned up a bunch of hours playing with GSAK on the 16000 +/- points in Montana.

Got the setting agency blended in with my Excel file master list, which was my primary goal; and just now filtered those points that have 'Photographs are available for this station' in the Data Sheet.

I have been unable to get a 'CSV or Text' export in the 'View' format that I tried to set - 13 columns vs the 21 that it came out of the box with. Did I miss a backdoor, or maybe trapdoor, toggle somewhere?

Also took awhile to figure out that to see 'County' you have to toggle 'Country'; which does not export, either.

Are there any quick auto-fill, drag/drop, cut/paste editing features possible? My thought was to stick "PHOTO" in a 'User Data' column in that filter, but it would take me all night to type it in 400 plus times. I will add that column in Excel.

Not quite ready for full IT status! kayakbird

Edited by kayakbird

With the help of LSUFan I've burned up a bunch of hours playing with GSAK on the 16000 +/- points in Montana.

Got the setting agency blended in with my Excel file master list, which was my primary goal; and just now filtered those points that have 'Photographs are available for this station' in the Data Sheet.

I have been unable to get a 'CSV or Text' export in the 'View' format that I tried to set - 13 columns vs the 21 that it came out of the box with. Did I miss a backdoor, or maybe trapdoor, toggle somewhere?

Also took awhile to figure out that to see 'County' you have to toggle 'Country'; which does not export, either.

Are there any quick auto-fill, drag/drop, cut/paste editing features possible? My thought was to stick "PHOTO" in a 'User Data' column in that filter, but it would take me all night to type it in 400 plus times. I will add that column in Excel.

Not quite ready for full IT status! kayakbird

Ok if I read this right, you want to use your current view as your csv export. To do that do to View, Save Current View, and give it a name. Then view again and make sure you select the view you want.

http://dl.dropbox.co...Photographs.gsk This macro will write "Photo" to the user data column of your choice for benchmarks containing "Photos are available for this station."

Edited by bullygoat29

---go to View, Save Current View, and give it a name. Then view again and make sure you select the view you want.

bullygoat29,

Sure seems like I'm locked into the original 21 columns. {does anyone in benchmarking use the

"Difficulty"& "Terrain" columns?]

'CSV or Text' Export columns

"Code","Cache Type","Travel Bug","U Flag","Last4Logs","Note",

"Waypoint Name","Kms","Brg","Placed By","Placed","Last GPX",

"Last Found","Container","Difficulty","Terrain","Last Log","DNF",

"DNF Date","Created","Watch"

Desired View

"Cache Type","Last GPX","Code","Waypoint Name","Placed By","Placed",

"User Data","Container","Row"

Opened in both Notepad and Wordpad - no change.

Added the column headed Country (which gives the counties),

did an overwrite on the existing "PHOTOS" view and then another

with a name change to Photographs. no change with either.

Shut GSAK off, brought it back up and re-did the procedure. no change

If I decide to pluck the USGS points out of the other half of my recovered

points, I'll just plan to delete the unwanted columns in Excel.

Thanks for your time. kayakbird

Mike, I played with the export function a little, and was able to open it up in excel with only my saved columns showing. Here is what I did, after reading the FAQ part about Excel in the GSAK help.

1. I did like Bullygoat instructed and saved my view (and named it). I also saved my database by going to the database tab at top of GSAK, save as (named it)

2. OK, now when I look right above my GSAK columns, the database and view drop-down boxes show the names I gave them in the previous steps. (or make sure to see they do)

3. Now...... I go to file, export, CSV or TXT

4. Here is where I think the problem is happening. When this export window opens.....make sure the "use default" box is unchecked......and then make sure the view is the one you named in step 1 (and not set to default). You should have a drop down box to select which one.

Let me know how that goes.

Edited by LSUFan

4. .....make sure the "use default" box is unchecked......and then make sure the view is the one you named in step 1

EUREKA!! That will simplify my life - except now I will have to go after the USGS points in several other states.

With my normal tunnel vision I did not see that selection box.

Thank You, Bobby. kayakbird

I'm about to run out of user data columns. :lol:

There are a couple of GSAK macros that will populate the state and county fields - if you are using userdata fields for either of those you could free them up. I've never used these because I haven't had a need yet - they're each a bit different here are the forum posts...

CountryStateCounty

CountryStateCounty___Overwrite

CountyStateUpdate

Also the import gpx dialog has an option to populate those fields when you load a new gpx file.491b0538595f2695d654b7ed2f294015.png

Online help link for what goes in that box