waas and oregon400t

my gps will not lock on any satelite higher than 30.

I never see the "D"s at the bottom of the bars.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue with mine. I let it sit out in an open area (my car windshield while on a short trip) and it took a long time but it did finally lock onto WAAS. I had to give it 3 hours of sky time at first but now it will lock on fairly quickly as long as it is a fairly clear area. I'm also on beta V2.86

1346.jpg

Edited by gessner17

Do what I'm doing and wait for Garmin to fix it?

there's a thred here about the latest update (v2.86b) disscusing the fixes and current issues.

Edit as you were posting as I was typeing:

I tried standing with it in the middle of field for an hour and at one point it did lock on, but lost the signal from the EGNOS 5mins later and I havn't had one since.

It sits there with all the other satilites on green, endlessly waiting with a larg white bar then gives up after 15 - 20mins and tryes another one.

It's still any ware between a few feet to nearly 300ft off B)

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I'm assuming you are atualy where it says home on that shot.

I can't even get a signal at home not even with my vista HCX.

When I come home after a days caching and leave it one until it compleatly losess siganl it jumps all over town - it can be streets away in fact.

Best way (I think) to check how muchthe signal is jumping and not maching up the track logs isto do a walk for instance along a road )to give you a point of refrence) and then go up (or down) the same strech later in the day.

Considering my 60csx locks onto WAAS birds in my cellar with no windows, I don't quite think that the Oregon is ready for WAAS primetime. If I get so much as a tree branch blocking the sky, WAAS will never show up in my Oregon. The PN-40 just recieved a new firmware update that claims improved WAAS function and as we all know by now the PN-40 and the Oregon use the same chipset. Garmin can't be far behind...

... can they? B)

Edited by yogazoo

Whoopsie. Upon further reading it seems as though WAAS fucntion with the new PN-40 firmware is similar to that of the Oregon and v2.86. Improved but still not usable. Cartesio better get off their duff and straighten out their chip firmware or their chipsets will be a part of GPS history very soon! I'm hoping for a SirfStar4 to come out and improve, if that's possible, on the 60csx. But I digress! B)

Do you know by any chance why Garmin chose to use the Cartesio chipset for the Oregon rather than the established SirfStar 3? Is the Cartesio supposed to be the better and more accurate chipset?

I fail to understand how Garmin and Delorme made that decision. It must have been very clear from the beginning that this chipset had problems with WAAS. Maybe Cartesio promised them to sort it out.

I paid over £300 for a unit that does not do averaging, that can not get a lock onto any satellites providing a correction signal and that has a rather poor display under direct sunlight. It could be such a great unit :mad:

Whoopsie. Upon further reading it seems as though WAAS fucntion with the new PN-40 firmware is similar to that of the Oregon and v2.86. Improved but still not usable. Cartesio better get off their duff and straighten out their chip firmware or their chipsets will be a part of GPS history very soon! I'm hoping for a SirfStar4 to come out and improve, if that's possible, on the 60csx. But I digress! :o

I tried standing with it in the middle of field for an hour and at one point it did lock on, but lost the signal from the EGNOS 5mins later and I havn't had one since.

It sits there with all the other satilites on green, endlessly waiting with a larg white bar then gives up after 15 - 20mins and tryes another one.

Well, this morning, I turned my Oregon 400t on and it sat on the dash of my truck for 10-15 minutes before I left for work. At that time, I did not show a lock on sat. 51, but I did show GPS Accuracy as 8 feet. By about 15 minutes later, I was finally showing a lock on sat. 51 and 'D' on 5 of the 9 other sat. locks. Before I got to work (a 35 minute drive) I lost the lock on sat. 51 but never showed an accuracy worse than 14 feet. This evening on my return home from work, I started my GPSr and sat for only a minute or two while my truck warmed-up. By the time I hit the road, I already had a lock on sat. 51 and once again, had a 'D' on 6 of the 10 other sat. locks. By the time I was half way home, I was showing no bar on sat. 51 but still showing the 'D' on about half of the other sat. locks. A few minutes later, I was showing a solid, strong signal on sat. 51 and 'D' on all the other sat. locks. I kept this for the remainder of my trip home. I don't think that my accuracy showed any worse than 12 feet any any point in my trip home.