legend ?

That is a fine GPS model. I use the bigger brother, the Vista HCx. It only adds an altimeter and an electronic compass, which is turned off for 98% of my cache finds.

For another $80 or so, consider getting the optional maps (City Navigator NT) down the road. It will help immensly as you start caching outside your home area.

...the Vista HCx. It only adds an altimeter and an electronic compass, which is turned off for 98% of my cache finds.

Now, would you please tell me why you do not use the electronic compass. If it does not help when caching why would one by a Vista HCx instead of a Legend HCx?

Why pay more for something that is not needed. I ask this because I've read about compass problems with several Garmin models and I'm thinking that I may just aswell buy a Legend HCx and save some money.

Edited by kallt_kaffe
...the Vista HCx. It only adds an altimeter and an electronic compass, which is turned off for 98% of my cache finds.

Now, would you please tell me why you do not use the electronic compass. If it does not help when caching why would one by a Vista HCx instead of a Legend HCx?

Why pay more for something that is not needed. I ask this because I've read about compass problems with several Garmin models and I'm thinking that I may just aswell buy a Legend HCx and save some money.

By having the electronic compass switched off, you conserve a bit more battery juice and don't have to calibrate it everytime you change batteries (sometimes more often).

However, it does have it's uses. With the compass off, you have to move a short distance at a certain pace for the GPS to triangulate with the sats and point the arrow in the right direction. In some cases this is not possible, as when you're in a boat or rock hopping, or bushwhacking on a steep hillside, etc... In these situations, the electronic compass comes in handy. Once calibrated it will point in the right direction while standing/sitting still.

However, you can mimic the electronic compass with the non-ec units by going to the satellite page and navigating by the coords, remembering that the #s go up as you head N and/or W. I used this method effectively when I cached with my Venture Cx.

By having the electronic compass switched off, you conserve a bit more battery juice and don't have to calibrate it everytime you change batteries (sometimes more often).

However, it does have it's uses. With the compass off, you have to move a short distance at a certain pace for the GPS to triangulate with the sats and point the arrow in the right direction. In some cases this is not possible, as when you're in a boat or rock hopping, or bushwhacking on a steep hillside, etc... In these situations, the electronic compass comes in handy. Once calibrated it will point in the right direction while standing/sitting still.

However, you can mimic the electronic compass with the non-ec units by going to the satellite page and navigating by the coords, remembering that the #s go up as you head N and/or W. I used this method effectively when I cached with my Venture Cx.

Thanks for the answer. In sweden the Vista HCx costs almost $60 more than the Legend so I'm so sure it is worth it. I cache with a Nüvi at the moment and have found over 130 caches with it. Only a few times I have felt the need for a compass and now when reading in a tread about compass issues with the Colorado I really start doubting that it is worth the extra money.

I'll stick to the Nüvi for a while more though. With 30-50cm snow I do not do that much caching at the moment. I was originally aiming for an Oregon but if they can't solve it's issues with a firmware upgrade a Nüvi (for car navigation and cache description) combined with a Legend or Vista seems like a good combination.