Distance from traditional caches?

TEAM HARTSOCK

Does an Earthcache need to adhere to the guidelines that it needs to be .10 miles apart from a traditional cache? I have a place where I would like to make an Earthcache (a natural rock fissure formation) but someone already has placed a traditional cache in the middle of it. Can it still be both? Or does the co-ords need to be at least that distance apart?

Thanks!

I sent an email to Geoware some time ago about distance with Earthcaches and this is the response:

The distance rule is adhered to with EarthCaches, with the exception

that EarthCaches may be placed within 0.1km of an existing cache if the

EarthCache developer has express permission to do so from the owner of

the existing cache.

Does an Earthcache need to adhere to the guidelines that it needs to be .10 miles apart from a traditional cache? I have a place where I would like to make an Earthcache (a natural rock fissure formation) but someone already has placed a traditional cache in the middle of it. Can it still be both? Or does the co-ords need to be at least that distance apart?

Thanks!

The only thing I would add is that you cannot use the same coordinates as the traditional cache and yours need to be a mininum of 30 feet from the existing cache. It sounds like a great place, go for it! B)

Hallo,

ich denke die Frage ist mit dieser Kopie aus den Guidelines beantwortet. Theoretisch kann man ihn fast auf einen anderen legen. Ich hatte auch so einen Fall.

Hello,

I think the question is answered with this copy of the Guidelines . Theoretically, you can almost place it on another one. I have also had such a case.

http://www.earthcache.org/

Guidelines for Submittal

3. EarthCache sites can be a single site, or a multiple virtual cache. No items, box, or physical cache can be left at the site. You must have visited the site recently (within two months), checked the site is safe and taken multiple GPS readings to ensure accuracy of coordinates. EarthCaches can be placed close to existing caches, but we require that the EarthCache developer contact the original cache developer before submittal.

Hallo,

ich denke die Frage ist mit dieser Kopie aus den Guidelines beantwortet. Theoretisch kann man ihn fast auf einen anderen legen. Ich hatte auch so einen Fall.

Hello,

I think the question is answered with this copy of the Guidelines . Theoretically, you can almost place it on another one. I have also had such a case.

http://www.earthcache.org/

Guidelines for Submittal

3. EarthCache sites can be a single site, or a multiple virtual cache. No items, box, or physical cache can be left at the site. You must have visited the site recently (within two months), checked the site is safe and taken multiple GPS readings to ensure accuracy of coordinates. EarthCaches can be placed close to existing caches, but we require that the EarthCache developer contact the original cache developer before submittal.

Yes, while it is true that "(b)Earthcaches can be placed close to existing cache......" make sure it is not closer than 30 feet. I am kinda slow, so it took me a while to figure it out. To be sure, go further than 30 feet from the existing cache. Almost on top wouldn't cut it for me. :laughing:

While I failed to "contact" the owner of the cache of which my only EC was placed by, I posted in the find log that I was placing it nearby. I read the guideline, but failed to actually contact them, supposing that my log was good enough. Ya'll know what they say when you assume! Id better go ahead and make the contact- YIKES! Only common courtesy :unsure:

While I failed to "contact" the owner of the cache of which my only EC was placed by, I posted in the find log that I was placing it nearby. I read the guideline, but failed to actually contact them, supposing that my log was good enough. Ya'll know what they say when you assume! Id better go ahead and make the contact- YIKES! Only common courtesy B)

I hope this is in keeping with the OP's topic.

Along with the distance requirement, as everyone knows, there is the 'permission' requirement from the traditional owner. I have had this happen only once but what do you do if the traditional owner never responds?

After repeated attempts (emails) to contact the owner and receiving approval from the District Ranger (National Forest) my EC was approved for publication. I thought the way the situation was handled was very fair.

Has anyone had a nearby non-responsive traditional owner and what did you do? ;)

Note that while Geocaching.com does NOT have any proximity requirements for earthcaches (since they only publish the earthcaches already reviewed by the Geological Society of America through its website Earthcaching.com), GSA DOES require the 30 foot rule and permission from the nearby cache owner.

GSA no longer requires the permission for the nearby cache owner (but feel that it is common courtesy to contact them). There has never been a 30 foot rule (and to be honest, we wonder where that idea even came from??????)

Our only requirement is that it must not have the same coordinates as an existing cache.

Note that while Geocaching.com does NOT have any proximity requirements for earthcaches (since they only publish the earthcaches already reviewed by the Geological Society of America through its website Earthcaching.com), GSA DOES require the 30 foot rule and permission from the nearby cache owner.

GSA no longer requires the permission for the nearby cache owner (but feel that it is common courtesy to contact them). There has never been a 30 foot rule (and to be honest, we wonder where that idea even came from??????)

Our only requirement is that it must not have the same coordinates as an existing cache.

For clarification, while we REALLY hate to disagree with geoaware, we verified the 30 foot rule on the www.earthcache.org website before posting our previous reply. In fact, that is how we learned about it. (We did, however, mistakely list the EarthCache website as Earthcaching.com rather than the CORRECT www.earthcache.org.) Since it is no longer listed in the requirements there, it is also no longer an issue.

Edited by Knight-Errant

After a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, I submitted some earthcaches for approval by park officials. Earlier this month, the official reviewing my request for permission wrote back, noting that one was relatively close to an existing virtual. I have visited several earthcaches that also have virtuals at the same location, so I had not anticipated that this would be an issue for the park reviewer.

I explained the difference between the types of caches, and that earthcaches were meant to provide an educational experience, focusing visitors on the geology of the area. The official seems supportive, so I trust that park officials will conclude that there is room in the area for both types of caches.