Why spoil the fun of placement for everyone?

PureCougar

Or in bumper sticker form. "Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it." That 90% part includes 2x4's up side the head.

hogwash.

or more accurately, new-age self-help hogwash....

The most recent example of what I'm talking about that has crossed my path, was interestingly enough in a book written by a holocaust survivor. He was wondering what the spark was that let some live while others gave up and died. He noticed that in a real sense the Jews who had the spark were more free than the very guards who stood on the other side of the fence.

Perhaps we are dancing on the opposite side of the same coin? I would fully agree that external sources can impact the quality of our lives. However I will not at all let go of the idea that we are something more than what the world around us would impose on us. Some of us anyway.

More accurately, An old truth. One mentioned in the Bible, captured in Buddhist lore. and Zen wisdom. Often the new age hogwash is the part that tries to replace eons old wisdom with rationalized delusional nuggets of bullpucky that makes great sound bites.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The most recent example of what I'm talking about that has crossed my path, was interestingly enough in a book written by a holocaust survivor. He was wondering what the spark was that let some live while others gave up and died. He noticed that in a real sense the Jews who had the spark were more free than the very guards who stood on the other side of the fence.

oh. so what you learned from the book was that this guy didn't let a little thing like a death camp spoil his fun? that even a death camp is fun if you have the right attitude?

he should have decided to "camp" somewhere else? or "joined in"? are you suggesting that his experience of that monstrosity was 90% his responsibility?

after all, no one can take away your fun without your permission.

hear that holocaust survivors? if you'd had a better attitude, it all would have been fun!

the proper quote from eleanor roosevelt was not about fun; it was about personal dignity. no one can take THAT from you.

fun, on the other hand, can be taken and will be taken fairly frequently, with or without your permission.

oh. so what you learned from the book was that this guy didn't let a little thing like a death camp spoil his fun? that even a death camp is fun if you have the right attitude?

he should have decided to "camp" somewhere else? or "joined in"? are you suggesting that his experience of that monstrosity was 90% his responsibility?

hear that holocaust survivors? if you'd had a better attitude, it all would have been fun!

the proper quote from eleanor roosevelt was not about fun; it was about personal dignity. no one can take THAT from you.

fun, on the other hand, can be taken and will be taken fairly frequently, with or without your permission.

You guys are SOOOOO OFF TOPIC from what the original poster had posted and his question why don't you take this stupid new topic somewhere else. GEEEEEZ :laughing::laughing::anibad:

SS

Speaking of holocaust, one of my favorite movies is Life is Beautiful. He took an awful situation and made it a fun situation for his kid. IMHO the movie was primarily focused on dealing with the toughest situations that we are/will be faced with. So caches wouldn't even come close to qualifying. Bad caches and the OPs situation are just flies in the ointment. Edited by TrailGators

You guys are SOOOOO OFF TOPIC from what the original poster had posted and his question why don't you take this stupid new topic somewhere else. GEEEEEZ :laughing::laughing::anibad:

SS

if you're not having fun in this topic, it is, as has been pointed out already, your own fault, and not mine.

try to adopt a better attitude. that way i will not only seem relevant and on-topic, but charming as well.

You guys are SOOOOO OFF TOPIC from what the original poster had posted and his question why don't you take this stupid new topic somewhere else. GEEEEEZ :unsure::o:D

SS

if you're not having fun in this topic, it is, as has been pointed out already, your own fault, and not mine.

try to adopt a better attitude. that way i will not only seem relevant and on-topic, but charming as well.

I could see that coming... :D

My only contribution to the off-topic mayhem is this (so don't bother responding because I won't take the bait):

In my years on various forums, if there's one thing I've learned it's this: Continual improper capitalization and constant repetition does wonders to reducing your credibility, regardless of what you're saying. More so when all you're saying is a negative put-down of others' stances without providing a stance of your own. So, flask, that being said, I would suggest you stop posting like a 12-yr-old, get on topic, or get lost. I think all here would settle for one out of three. Dong ma?

To the OP:

I feel your pain. Recently there have been many 'spam' hides in my area. I'm by no means complaining about the amount of caches, but the fact that they are mostly micros hidden under lamp pole skirts irks me. Thankfully there are still plenty of other caches in the area.

And if you start to feel discouraged because you eventually find all the 'good' hides, take a weekend and go to a neighboring city, state, or other locale. Geocaching is a great excuse to go places you wouldn't otherwise go. You might find a great restaurant along the way, some beautiful pictures or scenery and wildlife, or at the very least some peace of mind from getting away from it all.

My only contribution to the off-topic mayhem is this (so don't bother responding because I won't take the bait):

In my years on various forums, if there's one thing I've learned it's this: Continual improper capitalization and constant repetition does wonders to reducing your credibility, regardless of what you're saying. More so when all you're saying is a negative put-down of others' stances without providing a stance of your own. So, flask, that being said, I would suggest you stop posting like a 12-yr-old, get on topic, or get lost. I think all here would settle for one out of three. Dong ma?

time for your nap?

...oh. so what you learned from the book was that ....

Attitude is everthing.

On topic tie in.

You get out of this activity what you bring to it. In other words if you have a crappy attitude about caching nobody can make you have any fun. But if you bring a Postive attiude, yeah, someone can do a seagull on you and ruin yours and flasks day, but you will rebound quicker, and have a better time than the crappy attitude guy in good times and bad. Not a bad return on the investment.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'm looking through my hometown area's caches. There is one cacher who has hidden 74 caches. The majority in my city are micros hidden in parks. Additionally, he has only found 12 caches.

My question to you all - is this normal? Is this fair? How does geocaching.com make the rules with placements. It seems to me that all he is doing is placing and not finding. I've found 15 caches with nary a placement. I want to get the feel for where I'm going to do it, and the why.

Guess I'm venting a little, but what do you think?

PureCougar

I agree in part with you, PureCougar. I don't mind urban micros and they can be fun to do on the bicycle or when I don't have the time for a really long hike. On the other hand, it bothers me when a cache hider just slaps up a hide-a-key with the description of "thought one should be here" outside a wonderful historic landmark or something with great cultural significance.

I've got 60 finds, and I just hid my first one. I hid it at the area's oldest hospital and through research provided almost 4 pages of the history of the hospital. When the wonderful places are taken up by "spam" caches, then I definitely agree that it's depressing. You can choose to ignore most urban micros but when someone takes up cache density with spam, it takes away the opportunities for cache hiders that are willing to do the work to bring the area to life.

Back to the topic:

PureCougar, We have a cacher in my neck of the woods that has, since Nove. 23, 2006, placed 236 caches while finding only 14 (and a couple of them were his own!). Most of his hides were of dubious quality, the placement left a lot to be desired and maintenance was non-existent. Fast forward to today. There are only 41 active - 17.4%. Give it time, they will probably deteriorate and then you can swoop in and be the knight in shining armor who places great caches!

Back to the topic:

PureCougar, We have a cacher in my neck of the woods that has, since Nove. 23, 2006, placed 236 caches while finding only 14 (and a couple of them were his own!). Most of his hides were of dubious quality, the placement left a lot to be desired and maintenance was non-existent. Fast forward to today. There are only 41 active - 17.4%. Give it time, they will probably deteriorate and then you can swoop in and be the knight in shining armor who places great caches!

Good point. While still taking 2 years for it to come to that point, it probably won't be long till they're missing, muggled, or destroyed. Keep an eye out and an opportunity might arise. Good call.

Back to the topic:

Good point. While still taking 2 years for it to come to that point, it probably won't be long till they're missing, muggled, or destroyed. Keep an eye out and an opportunity might arise. Good call.