Oregon/Colorado

Spot2

We have a Oregon 400t and a Colorado 300. this is not a vs thread. My Oregon has been spot on with the new updates. I recnenty bought my wife a Colorado so she can cache while I out of town, so far we have not found 1 cache with it even with the most recent updat. We have had to pull out the Oregon for every cache since the purchase of the Colorado.

I am sure there is something in the settings but cant really find it? By the way the Colorado is normally 25'-35' off on most caches. I know this thing can work well, we have relatives that have a Colorado and actually get closer to caches than we do with our Oregon (possilbly the extenal antenna)

By the way I did do a search and most of the post only talk about what to buy

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Spot

I feel your pain.

I think that we cannot rely on the compasse when you are near to the cache coords.

The compass is good to take you near the area but after that you need to rely on either Distance to destination datafield or better yet use the GPS COORD data field (location data field) against the cache coords to get you to the cache.

I dont know how the compass calculates the pointer but its useless when you are within 10-15meters.

I rarely use the magnetic compass. When I get close, I almost always rely upon the distance and start looking when I get to about 25 feet (if I do not see it sooner). I have had my 400T for a year. I found 1,469 caches durning the 12 months I had my 400T. The previous 12 months I cached with my 60CSX and found 618 caches. I attrivitue most of this increase to the 400T

I am finding more and more evidence that the unit is very accurate but the compass isnt.

The distance to destination is pretty accurate, the coords are spot on, but the compass pointer isnt when its close to the destination.

I'll turn off the compass and see if that helps.

I am finding more and more evidence that the unit is very accurate but the compass isnt.

The distance to destination is pretty accurate, the coords are spot on, but the compass pointer isnt when its close to the destination.

I'll turn off the compass and see if that helps.

I've tried that and the pointer works in the same way except that I need to move a bit... it's weird, the calculations must be off.

I marked a waypoint in my driveway, walked away 90 feet and used the unit to guide me back, still off. I did the same thing with the oregon dead on 5 minutes apart same birds.

Odd??

Its funny, I did the same thing and got the same result.

It seems that with the compass off it is much more accurate.

Try to do the test again and turn the compass off in Shortcuts-setup-heading.

The compass is more jerkier (thats normal but it does point straight to the waypoint.)

The only downside is the need to be moving to get it working.

With the compass on when getting close to the waypoint all bets are off. It makes no sense to me...