Thanks for all the help, but I have another question

darkserpant

I am trying to save gpx files to a loder on my desktop. So when I find a cache I like I click on the GPX exchange file and a box pops up that says you have chosen to open(then file name) then it asks what should firefox do with this file. It gives me only two options-OPEN WITH, and then a browse button and the other option is save file. That's the one that I click on, but it doesen't ask me where to save the file. I have no idea where it goes. How do I tell it to save the file in a certain folder if it doesen't ask me? Thanks again

Hard to say. That's probably something you set up, or there's a default file folder. Likely named "Downloads"

I'd use the search function of your operating system to look for files of type

.gpx I'm going to guess (?) that your operating system is some flavor of Windows.

If you click the start button, you'll have a search option. Use it to search for files of .gpx type.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

In Firefox click on tools on the menu bar and select options. In the middle of the box you will see some choices for downloads. It defaults to saving them to the desktop. You can point it to another folder or check a box that will make it ask where to save every time.

I don't if using vista or updating firefox is what did it, but on my vista machine the default folder is C:\Users\(user name)\Downloads Hopefully that can point you in the right direction

I am trying to save gpx files to a loder on my desktop. So when I find a cache I like I click on the GPX exchange file and a box pops up that says you have chosen to open(then file name) then it asks what should firefox do with this file. It gives me only two options-OPEN WITH, and then a browse button and the other option is save file. That's the one that I click on, but it doesen't ask me where to save the file. I have no idea where it goes. How do I tell it to save the file in a certain folder if it doesen't ask me? Thanks again

Rather than saving gpx files to a folder you might find it much easier to install an application which understands gpx files such as EasyGPS or ExpertGPS (http://www.easygps.com/). Then in the dialog box, rather than "Save to Disk" select "Open With" and specify the application. Once the waypoints are in Easy/ExpertGPS you can save them to disc if you'd like. EasyGPS is free. ExpertGPS has a 30 day trial but after requires a fee. I think it's worth it. I mostly use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) but still use ExpertGPS quite a bit. There are lots of other tools that you can use to manage waypoints. If you save waypoints to a folder directly you still need some way to get them to your GPS

In Firefox click on tools on the menu bar and select options. In the middle of the box you will see some choices for downloads. It defaults to saving them to the desktop. You can point it to another folder or check a box that will make it ask where to save every time.

I have that set to "Always ask me where to save". I save different types of downloads in different folders depending on topic.