Paperless & HCx Features

she_wolf

I could load many coordinates (cache along a route), but don't want to print all my possible caches.... I am kind of new & like the print outs (easier than dragging along my laptop, which I have done in the past). I have GSAK configured to give me the hint, but that space is limited (unless I can get more than 2 lines of info).

I have a eTrex Vista HCx and have been GCing since June (altho winter caches have me stumped and I have been going through withdrawal.... but the snow is melting :D )

Also I would love to get someone to help me out with how to use some of my other features that my GPS has, which I am sure there are a few.

Thanks All

GSAK offers lots of macros. I use a Vista HCx and the most useful macro I have found is the 60CSxPOI. Despite the "60" in the title, it works great for the Etrex'. This macro takes advantage of the customized Points of Interest feature. Caches are downloaded as a POI on the GPS. You will need to download Garmin's POI Loader, which is free.

Once you download the POIs you won't be able to alter the coords or the name, but you can save the POI as a regular waypoint and make your changes there, as when adjusting the coords on a multi. It's a sweet little macro that can download most of the webpage using a series of POI's. A large cache webpage could take about 25 POI screens, but you can control what info gets downloaded to shorten the # of screens.

My beautiful wife bought me a new phone.... a Palm Centro!!!!! It rocks! I loaded cachemate onto it (AWESOME PROGRAM). Just beware if you choose to go this route... the salespeople at the wireless stores will do ANYTHING to get you to sign a contract for a data package. My wife was insistent we didn't want or need a data package, and they FINALLY sold us the phone. Verizon is a real bugger for that; you can't buy hardly any Palm phone without the data package.

I have pictures of Cachemate in action with my Centro on my blog. Click HERE.

Hate to jump into this thread, but am having a similiar issue with going paperless, and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I'd watched HHH's videos, btw.

Currently I use GSAK and a eTrex Legend HCx. I have a Palm (Tungsten E2) with cachemate, which I've uploaded the PBX file to. (I also have a Nuvi 260W, which I am now using, but don't as yet upload any caches to. Use it to help drive the caches, tho)

I'd like to go paperless, but am a little frustrated.

My current style is to have a printouts for each cache, with a basic map and decoded hints. I have the printouts organized into folders for different areas (certain cities, areas of our county). When I go for a day of caching, I organize the printouts in order of how I want to tackle them. This is what frustrated me about going paperless is I don't see a way to 'organize' myself in terms of what caches I'm going to.

Another aspect is that I use the printouts to manage what I've found, not found. I mark finds in the order I find them, mark any tbs/geocoins taken/dropped/discovered, and mark any DNFs. I know I can do this with cachemate, but worry about getting them marked in order when I log things in geocaching.com.

I think Cachemate records when you marked the entry as found?

In terms of organisation, good question. When I was using a Palm and CM, I actually used to have a paper list of caches generated by GSAK for the targets in order. Check out GSAK's condensed view for printing out cache lists... it's amazing. I know it's ironic using a paper list when going paperless, but a one sheet summary to check off (and a map) is very very handy.

Alternatively, just use GSAK to output that day's list of caches to CM, You can still have a separate database of all the local caches if you get sidetracked :laughing:

In terms of organisation, good question. When I was using a Palm and CM, I actually used to have a paper list of caches generated by GSAK for the targets in order. Check out GSAK's condensed view for printing out cache lists... it's amazing. I know it's ironic using a paper list when going paperless, but a one sheet summary to check off (and a map) is very very handy.

Actually, I've sort of started to do that to a degree.

I've started to use geocaching.com's maping tool to create a map of an area, with the caches I haven't found marked (I make sure they are numbered). this way I have an easier time organizing where I'm going.

Yes, cachemate does allow you to mark an entry as found. But I want to mark them in order. May be a little anal, but I like to keep track of my find order. I mark my finds in order, then enter them in geocaching.com in that order.

One thing I found frustrating with cachemate is that it didn't organize the caches into groups: archived, found, not found. I'd rather just dump out not found caches from GSAK for uploaded to cachemate. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Actually, I've sort of started to do that to a degree.

I've started to use geocaching.com's maping tool to create a map of an area, with the caches I haven't found marked (I make sure they are numbered). this way I have an easier time organizing where I'm going.

Yes, cachemate does allow you to mark an entry as found. But I want to mark them in order. May be a little anal, but I like to keep track of my find order. I mark my finds in order, then enter them in geocaching.com in that order.

One thing I found frustrating with cachemate is that it didn't organize the caches into groups: archived, found, not found. I'd rather just dump out not found caches from GSAK for uploaded to cachemate. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I just used to upload just unfound caches from GSAK onto CM. I'd have another CM database for "my finds" (which I'd update now and again from GSAK).

I meant doesn't it also tag WHEN you marked as found in CM? I havent used for ages, but i thought it also filled in a time and date for when you marked them as found.