About how long dose it take for a review to find and archive a dead cache?

Crab_Soul

im trying to set up a new cache in GC108VA

becouse we just found one of the coolest places in the storm drain. and the old one is too muggleable.

we just made a really wicked water proof container. huge weighted with bricks(to keep muggles from trying to take it). full of hotwheels cars and a secret way to open it.

It may take a few days for the reviewer to respond. I believe they usually give the cache owner 2 weeks to replace the cache before it will be archived.

Be patient!

Just because you don't like where a cache is doesn't mean it should be archived.

thats not why lol. its becouse titus has constantly haveing to be replaceing it. the staff of the park is pretty good there. they probubly think its trash and throw it away. and the fact that the cache placer dosnt even live here anymore

One time replacing the cache does not constitute "constantly". Titus has one log stating that they replaced the container and that was in September 2008, a mere 5 months ago. There was one find after that then your flurry of SBA logs. WTF. It would appear that you two have found a better hiding spot and now are trying to muscle out another cache.

I guess that if I wanted a certain area I could steal the caches in the area then log SBA logs and try to kick them out.

Sorry but your story sounds a bit fishy. When you feel a cache should be archived you have to go through the motions. It is completely unfair to Log SBA after one other person has a DNF. Every cacher out there has thought they looked everyplace only to discover they just didn't spot the cache. Your desire to archive this cache is suspicious since you and your partner are the only ones logging that it is missing, along with a claim of replacing the old cache.

I also don't like it when it takes several months to archive a cache that is missing but the only witnesses that the cache is missing is you.

Edited by undertree

Is it there now? You never said it was actually currently missing, just that it was "muggleable". If it's there now you will never get a reviewer to archive an active cache. And as long as the owner (or an owner's representative) keeps the cache maintained, even if that means constantly replacing the container, then you have no right to force them aside and take over the spot.

If the cache is missing, the owner is out of country, and no-one is able to replace it, then reviewers will still usually wait 2-weeks to several months before archiving.

[Edit: Tequila made the post above while I was typing this one. My comments in this post still stand as a general response to the question in the OP. But after reviewing all the information, including reading the logs on the cache page, I have additional comments below.]

Edited by J-Way

ah well we know for a fact that the cache placer is in iraq. or somewhere not here lol. in think quatar

Over my seven years of playing this game, I've had a number of opportunities to assist with cache maintenance issues for cachers who are deployed overseas. It makes me feel good to be helpful. I am thankful each and every day for those who work so hard to protect my freedom to wander around finding tupperware in the woods.

It's never been an issue that I would "lol" about.

Just because you don't like where a cache is doesn't mean it should be archived.

thats not why lol. its becouse titus has constantly haveing to be replaceing it. the staff of the park is pretty good there. they probubly think its trash and throw it away. and the fact that the cache placer dosnt even live here anymore

have you ever thought of investing in a spell checker?

One time replacing the cache does not constitute "constantly". Titus has one log stating that they replaced the container and that was in September 2008, a mere 5 months ago. There was one find after that then your flurry of SBA logs. WTF. It would appear that you two have found a better hiding spot and now are trying to muscle out another cache.

I guess that if I wanted a certain area I could steal the caches in the area then log SBA logs and try to kick them out.

Sorry but your story sounds a bit fishy. When you feel a cache should be archived you have to go through the motions. It is completely unfair to Log SBA after one other person has a DNF. Every cacher out there has thought they looked everyplace only to discover they just didn't spot the cache. Your desire to archive this cache is suspicious since you and your partner are the only ones logging that it is missing, along with a claim of replacing the old cache.

I also don't like it when it takes several months to archive a cache that is missing but the only witnesses that the cache is missing is you.

Please note that the OP has only one find to his credit. With this one find is a hide that was "muggled" before anyone even found it. Why are we even talking about this?

and WOO FREAKIN HOO!!!

i have one cache like i give a crap.... you guys are ticking me off with that crap.

so what!?!?! dosnt mean i cant freakin ask for information and place a cache dose it??!!? its not freakin rocket science!

:D;):):(:D:D:D

No but placing a cache is somewhere between rocket science and being able to spell "does"

After reviewing the cache page and logs, I see the situation in a different light. In this case, yes, the cache should be archived:

- TitusLlewelyn has, according to their logs, replaced the cache several times. THEY posted the first SBA log after it went missing yet again.

- The owner hasn't logged in in over a year and a half. I doubt if Crockerj is still in Qatar because the announcement is on his/her profile which hasn't been edited since at least before July, 2007. Current deployment times are less than 18 months.

But the others are also right. Trying to get another cache archived just because you want to place one there is rude and a very quick way to get on the "bad" list. At first read, this looks to be the case. Posting a SBA log for a cache where the container and the owner are both missing is acceptable. In this case you should have posted the SBA logs (like you did), but then sat back and waited. Maybe send an email to the local reviewer asking about it.

And finally, install Google Toolbar. It has a free spell checker. And see if the "Shift" key on your keyboard actually works. This is an internet forum, not a high-school chat room nor a text message.

lol

Edited by J-Way

so what!?!?! dosnt mean i cant freakin ask for information and place a cache dose it??!!? its not freakin rocket science!

Yes, you can ask for information. But it really really really helps if the people you're asking can understand you. The first time I read the OP I thought you were asking, "There's a lousy cache placement near here. I found a better place nearby, so I posted a SBA log to the original cache. How long before a reviewer archives the original cache so I can place mine?" Judging from the responses, others had the same interpretation.

Those English classes you slept through would have helped in this situation.

doesn't have to, the red lines under the misspelling should be a clue.

Jim

Jim

does color blindness go with illiteracy?

I wish he would invest in a GPS. :D

By the way, take it easy on the guy. I know he is trolling but keep in mind the respect guideline here. Crab_Soul, you need to look at the forum guidelines too.

Edited by mtn-man

Jim

What red lines? No red lines in IE unless I click the Spell Checker in Google Toolbar. What browser are you running? Edited by J-Way

Jim

What red lines? No red lines in IE unless I click the Spell Checker in Google Toolbar. What browser are you running?

Firefox has a built in spell checker that does that.

SeaMonkey too, and in both if you alt click the red line word it will give you a list of potential words.

Crab,

Dude ya gotta calm down. I understand you're excited but ya need ta read all the guidelines and when dealing with somebodies cache ask yourself how you would feel first.

meow meow meow dontz carez... shutz upz

found a new spot half a mile storm drain underground. legal cache you cant stopz mez

Yeah. Of course, you need to have your local reviewer list the cache for you. I wonder who your local reviewer might be?

Hmmmm.

but its a safe cache... and its perfectly fine... im not trying to a jerk and jank someones place. i just spent all day makeing a really big waterproof cache box... and hell is it so bad to want to put it in a really cool spot?!!??!?!? so what im a kid.. and i know how to have FUN... so thats what im doing...

Babys that dont want to get wet? dont do it...

too old... have a back problem and cant duck under low roof? dont do it...

too young... afraid of the dark? dont do it...

this a heck of alot safer than climbing caches...

and yea... im very very angry right now about this... so dont blame me for haveing a temper.. i was comeing in here thinking that you might like the idea of a storm drain exlporation... but NO i get poo flinged at me...

ugh.... and everyone thinks im trying to get crockers cache removed to be a jerk... hell ... he can still have his cache as long as i can put mine underground in the storm drain.... its a totaly different eviornment...

Edited by Crab_Soul

found a new spot half a mile storm drain underground. legal cache you cant stopz mez

Yeah. Of course, you need to have your local reviewer list the cache for you. I wonder who your local reviewer might be?

Hmmmm.

I wonder if PuppyMonster will get an express package of Milk Bones tomorrow ......

Jim

Don't own a GPS? Don't do it...

im buying one............. .. UGH.. im not going to place this one with google earth or whatever..

stop doing stuff like that! all of you are being a bunch of freakin jerks! what the heck is wrong with you guys?!?!!?

i spend all freakin day makeing this freakin cache and this is.... ugh.... maby i should just freakin quit.....

Edited by Crab_Soul

Absolutely. Firefox allows awesome customization. Once you install it go to this web page.

(A link to the Firefox download is on this page too.)

http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/index.html

Install Greasemonkey from the link given. From there, pick your favorite enhancement scripts. Lil Devil also has some awesome ones.

Firefox and the Greasemonkey scripts are the third best thing ever for geocaching. GPS and GSAK being numbers 1 and 2. The $30/yr PM is probably tied for 3rd with Greasemonkey.

Hmmmm.

but its a safe cache... and its perfectly fine... im not trying to a jerk and jank someones place. i just spent all day makeing a really big waterproof cache box... and hell is it so bad to want to put it in a really cool spot?!!??!?!? so what im a kid.. and i know how to have FUN... so thats what im doing...

this a heck of alot safer than climbing caches...

and yea... im very very angry right now about this... so dont blame me for haveing a temper.. i was comeing in here thinking that you might like the idea of a storm drain exlporation... but NO i get poo flinged at me...

ugh.... and everyone thinks im trying to get crockers cache removed to be a jerk... hell ... he can still have his cache as long as i can put mine underground in the storm drain.... its a totaly different eviornment...

What??? :D

In most municipalities the storm drain system is controlled by the public works department and it is considered trespassing to be inside of the drains.

Also a large cache box could impede the flow of flood water causing damage to property that you would be responsible for.

If you place this cache make sure you get permission from the proper controlling authority. My guess would be that you are not going to get that permission.

Lastly you have to use a GPS to place a cache, that is in the guidelines. Depending how far into a storm culvert you go most GPS units will not work. Your cache reviewer if he is a stickler about following the cache placing guidelines will not approve the cache placement based on that alone.

My recommendation is that you contact your reviewer before spending any more time creating this cache and see if he will help you in its placement. Even though you have been harsh to him on these forums I know Mtn-Man to be a fair and honest man who will help you place a cache if you maintain a reasonable demeanor with him.

mtn-man, I thought that the OP had been admonished about his potty language already.

Sometimes you just have to give someone a rope Motorcycle_Mama. It is sad when you see folks stick their head in willingly and stick their tongue out at you in the process.

In most municipalities the storm drain system is controlled by the public works department and it is considered trespassing to be inside of the drains.

Also a large cache box could impede the flow of flood water causing damage to property that you would be responsible for.

If you place this cache make sure you get permission from the proper controlling authority. My guess would be that you are not going to get that permission.

Lastly you have to use a GPS to place a cache, that is in the guidelines. Depending how far into a storm culvert you go most GPS units will not work. Your cache reviewer if he is a stickler about following the cache placing guidelines will not approve the cache placement based on that alone.

Though I sort of doubt he will, I would suggest that Crab_Soul read this topic thoroughly.

Legal to place a cache in a stormwater runoff drain?

My recommendation is that you contact your reviewer before spending any more time creating this cache and see if he will help you in its placement. Even though you have been harsh to him on these forums I know Mtn-Man to be a fair and honest man who will help you place a cache if you maintain a reasonable demeanor with him.

Yeah, ironically, even though someone calls us all a "bunch of freakin jerks", if the cache stands within the guidelines, I would list it. Thank you for the nice words webscouter. You didn't even call me a jerk. :D
Depending how far into a storm culvert you go most GPS units will not work.

That's an issue I'm facing with one of my potential hides. The city of Orlando built up and over a river, creating a really kewl series of culverts big enough to drive a Prius through. (OK, maybe not a Prius, but definitely a Smart Car) I'd need to go in about 300' due to an existing cache, and my Garmin quits at about 20'. What I thought I would try, (if I ever elect to create that hide), is firing up my old and rusty surveying skills, mapping out the underground path. Then I could recreate that path above ground, with my GPSr. This would give me the correct Lat/Lon for the cache. After getting the requisite permissions, Crab Soul could try something similar.

This seems like good advice. I would suggest the same-- talk to the reviewer in your area and find out if the cache would ever be approved before you worry about the other cache in the area. There is no point in going to a lot of trouble only to find out your cache will never be listed on the website right?

If the other cache nearby is missing and/or is no longer being maintained then I agree it should be archived. If the cache owner has moved away or is no longer active in geocaching maybe you can try to contact them and ask them to let you adopt the cache or ask them to archive it?

As for caching without a GPSr, I see nothing wrong with that but you WILL need one to place a cache. If you don't have your own you can borrow one or ask someone who owns one to help you place the cache. When I first started geocaching I had an old GPSr which almost never got a lock, so I found my first caches without its help.

The city of Orlando built up and over a river, creating a really kewl series of culverts big enough to drive a Prius through..... What I thought I would try, (if I ever elect to create that hide), is firing up my old and rusty surveying skills, mapping out the underground path. Then I could recreate that path above ground, with my GPSr. This would give me the correct Lat/Lon for the cache. After getting the requisite permissions, Crab Soul could try something similar.
If the culvert doesn't go around corners, take a piece of string, measure how long you have to roll it out, and project a waypoint.
The city of Orlando built up and over a river, creating a really kewl series of culverts big enough to drive a Prius through..... What I thought I would try, (if I ever elect to create that hide), is firing up my old and rusty surveying skills, mapping out the underground path. Then I could recreate that path above ground, with my GPSr. This would give me the correct Lat/Lon for the cache. After getting the requisite permissions, Crab Soul could try something similar.
If the culvert doesn't go around corners, take a piece of string, measure how long you have to roll it out, and project a waypoint.

OR, list it at a puzzle cache (or Letterbox Hybrid) with the coordinates pointing to the tunnel entrance. Then follow directions to get to the cache.