Venture Question

K-9Patrol

I just bought a Venture HC Adventure Pack which came with TOPO US 2008. I've also went to the Garmin site and updated both my unit and maps. I've downloaded some maps in the area and have had great success in finding caches. While still driving to a cache site, I will go ahead and start navigating while still in the car. I get a really good signal and everything works great on the navigation and map pages. The map shows the roadways just fine. However, if I switch to the Highway Page, I get nothing. So that's my question. I've figured out everything else about this unit and this is just bugging me. Would I have to have something like the City Navigator maps downloaded for the Highway Page to work, or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

You are correct in needing City Navigator to get the highway feature and driving feature for this gps. This GPS has a small amount of memory for mapping software. If you load both TOPO and Navigator, depending on the area you are traveling in and how many maps you install, you may run out of memory and not be able to install all of the maps you want or need. For the cost of the navigator software, I think it would be better to buy a cheap vehicle GPS to do what you need for driving purposes.

Thank you very much. I thought that was the case. I don't plan on getting City Navigator just for this feature. Especially since from what I have read about it, the highway feature is very limited. In fact, using the map page on the road, even with TOPO, looks to be more detailed and helpful than the highway page. It just bugged me that I have learned so much about all the Venture features in just a week and couldn't find out how to use one of them. Again, thanks for the help.

The HC's do not auto-route; so getting City Navigator is like throwing money away. MetroGuide 2008 just got discontinued but the maps are still relatively current. You'll still find stores selling it. Don't get a copy over $70. I got mine on eBay almost a year ago. Prices should be down.

That being said. I tweaked my MetroGuide to auto-route on my Vista - I don't know if the Highway feature will work with the HC and MetroGuide.