Caching and the Manson Family

crockett3663

Last night on TV, I saw a program about Charles Manson and his family. Supposedly he and his "gang" commited far more murders that just the 7 Tate/LaBianca murders we've all become familiar with. I've seen the movie "Helter Skelter" and read the book more than once. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a Manson Family "buff".

Anyway, during this show, investigators went out to the location of the old Spahn Movie Ranch outside of L.A. to follow up on a lead that some of Charlie's lesser known victims might be buried out there. They also went to the Barker Ranch, way out in Death Valley, to another of the Family's hideouts. Amazingly, some of the same buildings that Charlie and the family lived in are still out there. They were shown during the program, and inside some of the buildings were notes that curiosity seekers have "left" for Charlie and the Family.

It got me to thinking, I wonder if any of these curiousity seekers might be fellow cachers who may have hidden some caches in the area. I know that the Spahn Movie Ranch was located on Santa Susana Pass Rd. I also know that the Barker Ranch is nestled in the Panamint Mountain Range.

If there are any southern California cachers out there who might know these areas well and might be able to identify any possible caches out in those areas, I'd like to be able to read about them. I'm not planning a trip to California anytime in the future, but it might be kinda cool to read about them. I know...I guess I'm a little macabre. Forgive me...

Last night on TV, I saw a program about Charles Manson and his family. Supposedly he and his "gang" commited far more murders that just the 7 Tate/LaBianca murders we've all become familiar with. I've seen the movie "Helter Skelter" and read the book more than once. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a Manson Family "buff".

Anyway, during this show, investigators went out to the location of the old Spahn Movie Ranch outside of L.A. to follow up on a lead that some of Charlie's lesser known victims might be buried out there. They also went to the Barker Ranch, way out in Death Valley, to another of the Family's hideouts. Amazingly, some of the same buildings that Charlie and the family lived in are still out there. They were shown during the program, and inside some of the buildings were notes that curiosity seekers have "left" for Charlie and the Family.

It got me to thinking, I wonder if any of these curiousity seekers might be fellow cachers who may have hidden some caches in the area. I know that the Spahn Movie Ranch was located on Santa Susana Pass Rd. I also know that the Barker Ranch is nestled in the Panamint Mountain Range.

If there are any southern California cachers out there who might know these areas well and might be able to identify any possible caches out in those areas, I'd like to be able to read about them. I'm not planning a trip to California anytime in the future, but it might be kinda cool to read about them. I know...I guess I'm a little macabre. Forgive me...

Excuse me if I misunderstood your request, but why couldn't you simply use Google Earth or Terraserver to determine the exact waypoint coordinates of each of the two ranch spots, and then run Pocket Queries (PQs) for all caches within a few miles of each of the two spots?

Also, in all seriousness, please bear in mind that many members of Manson's "family" were never apprehended, and a good number of those who were caught and convicted have long ago been released or paroled. Since a number of these folks are still alive, there is a good chance that at least two or thee of them are now geocachers! Pleasant and comforting thought, is it not?

I guess I hadn't thought of GE or Terra for assistance. I rarely use GE and have never even heard of Terra until just now. I'm not even sure if I rember how to use GE to be honest with you. I suppose I could look into it and give it a try. I just thought there might be some locals in Cali that might be willing to lend a hand, that's all.

And no...I'm not worried about former family members popping up as cachers. From what I know being a "Fmily buff", virtually all of the truly dangerous members have been imprisoned for many years with no fear from the general public of them getting out. In fact, during the program last night, several of the former family members were interviewed and have steadfastly denounced Charlie and his "teachings", so I think I'd be OK if I ever DID make it out there, but I do appreciate your concern.

The site of the Spahn Movie Ranch is private property and cannot be accessed. There are dozens of caches on the trails surrounding it in the Santa Susana Pass State Historic Park, and Chatsworth Park areas. Additionally. Manson spent quite a bit of time north of Chatsworth in Devil's Canyon. There are nine caches in the canyon. Devil's Canyon