Caching with Mac

alpinemm

I have a Mac computer and a Garmin Colorado gps. I have no trouble downloading caches one by one from the web site, but I can't do a search and download multiples at one time. I have installed Road Trip but it doesn't seem to accept .loc files. I formerly had a pc and it was very easy to download the caches through Map Source. Can anyone help me with this?

I have a Mac computer and a Garmin Colorado gps. I have no trouble downloading caches one by one from the web site, but I can't do a search and download multiples at one time. I have installed Road Trip but it doesn't seem to accept .loc files. I formerly had a pc and it was very easy to download the caches through Map Source. Can anyone help me with this?

Best way to do this is through a Pocket Query, but you need to be a premium member to do it. Take the query file you get in your email, expand it, then drag and drop into your Colorado's GPX file (I believe this works the same way as the Oregon, someone correct me if I'm wrong). This is how I do it on my Mac with my Oregon. I bypass Road Trip altogether, and always use .gpx files, since they give you more cache info than a .loc file.

Hope this helps

BlueDamsel

best way for mac users to cache is by getting a windows machine for caching.

i wouldn't DREAM of putting anything but a mac on my desk, but all my data problems with regard to geocaching went away when i got a windows laptop for geocaching.

why, i even run PQs on my mac and don't unzip them until i get them onto my PC.

maybe it's not the advice you want, but it's the best advice i have.

MacSimpleGPS*.

Download files (GPX/Loc) to a folder, open -drag n drop- with MacSimpleGPS, send the GPS

*Free -that magic word, not often found with PC apps!

MacSimpleGPS*.

Download files (GPX/Loc) to a folder, open -drag n drop- with MacSimpleGPS, send the GPS

I looked at the page for a while to figure out why I've never heard of it before, and then I found it - the app hasn't gotten any love in five years.

Intel users will be running it under Rosetta. Newer features of OS X - ignored completely. Can't load PQs directly - you have to unzip them to get at the GPX files inside.

Give MacCaching a look.

Edited by dakboy

Intel chip? :D

In a Mac? ;)

I'm still PPC!

(Must admit, I use one of those others O/S's :) so I can use GSAK...

Now if that was Mac compatable!) :(

Yes, I agree. I've had problems getting GSAK to run properly on my Mac using a Windows emulator, plus the hassle of switching just to manage my geocaching is sort of a pain in the neck anyway. I would love it if GSAK were Mac compatible, but in the meantime, I've chosen a GPS unit that mostly allows me to bypass any third party programs altogether and for the functions I need software for, the GPS maker provides it Mac-native. Having the convenience of going directly to the GPS 90% of the time has been a big sigh of relief.

Still, I would love to be able to access some of the functions that GSAK is capable of.

BlueDamsel