Problem with GC.com

ftjak

The issue has been reported.

What have they done to a perfectly good web site that was working without any problem at all?

Which 'they' are you talking about? These guys?

large_greya.jpg

Yeah that must be the ones........boy they show up all over the place.

It's gotten worse now and it's stuck on one page and won't load......it's taken me 35 minutes to log 3 caches and I'm still not done with the third one and I have a geocoin in it and can't take it out. Boy they really have messed it up AGAIN.

Since things were working fine, even though they aren't now...why do you assume someone 'did something'?

You do realize it's only 6am in Seattle, right? No one has changed anything for at least 16 hours.

Poo happens...take a break and have dinner or a drink...it'll get fixed.

Since things were working fine, even though they aren't now...why do you assume someone 'did something'?

You do realize it's only 6am in Seattle, right? No one has changed anything for at least 16 hours.

Poo happens...take a break and have dinner or a drink...it'll get fixed.

New code may have caused a problem with the xxsql backend. I bet this isn't resolved immediately but a service/server restart should kick the site back up.

The most important part of all this is IT'S 6:20AM HERE. No One is up yet from Groundspeak. Can you say sleep?

Once again the old saying "Bad planning on your part does not automatically constitute an emergency on my part" comes into play. Why didn't you prepare yesterday for your needs today?

So, you can't log caches...wait, you will eventually.

Chill.

The most important part of all this is IT'S 6:20AM HERE. No One is up yet from Groundspeak. Can you say sleep?

An alternative view would be that the most important aspect of this is that the site is down, and customers cannot use a service for which they've paid. To quote 'bad planning' is ridiculous when it comes to a web site where one can expect it to be mostly available. I don't deny that Groundspeak staff need sleep but there is also an expectation amongst customers that the site will be up.

An alternative view would be that the most important aspect of this is that the site is down, and customers cannot use a service for which they've paid. To quote 'bad planning' is ridiculous when it comes to a web site where one can expect it to be mostly available. I don't deny that Groundspeak staff need sleep but there is also an expectation amongst customers that the site will be up.

It is mostly available. A few hours in the big picture is nothing. Problem is too many people can only think about what is happening right now and fail to look at the big picture and for some reason assume that because it's down now it won't ever be back. They work issues as quickly as they can. It can be frustrating if it happens when you want to do something but I'd say their up time over a year's period would meet most any SLA.

It is mostly available.

Exactly, that's why 'bad planning' doesn't come into it :laughing:

I have responsibility for a number of live web sites - I wouldn't ever suggest that a customer was guilty of bad planning if they try to use the site when there's unplanned downtime :)

My point is, if you know you are doing something in 2-4 days, plan ahead for your PQ's etc. Don't wait until the last minute. Why would anyone do that? It doesn't make sense.

If I know I'm going caching next weekend, I'll run PQ's on Mon, Tue, or Wed and get the data I need. I may then also run on Fri night or Sat morning for the most recent info if possible, but at least I have what I need.

Again, back to my 'bad planning' comment.

And I stand by my "boo hoo can't log" comment...wait and log later.

I don't recall anyone bringing up the inability to run PQs specifically until the poor planning post. Who said anyone didn't plan for today's needs yesterday?

I may be wrong, I often am...but it was my interpretation of this post:

Don't be so impatient. They are only testing out the new and improved 8-bits connection broadband. :)

Site completely down! It's Friday!

Althougth the site has speeded up, I did notice that when you click the fourm link it pretends to load the page for a few seconds and then just stays where it is as if it has sent you to the new page when it hasn't.

Edit: ok it works now and iv'e never seen the site so fast

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I hear ya, I just don't think it was time to play the poor planning card yet. :) And I agree that not being able to log finds or trackables is a relatively minor annoyance, at least to me. I often don't log finds for a few days anyway.

I have pq's that come today for weekend caching. I haven't received most of them yet. So I think I did plan ahead but if the problem persists it could still mean that I don't have the latest info for this weekend. Personally, this kind of thing never bothers me that much. If I go caching with data from several days ago it won't kill me and I'll still have fun.

Some people's knee jerk reaction is to complain immediately whether they plan ahead or not.

I have pq's that come today for weekend caching. I haven't received most of them yet. So I think I did plan ahead but if the problem persists it could still mean that I don't have the latest info for this weekend. Personally, this kind of thing never bothers me that much. If I go caching with data from several days ago it won't kill me and I'll still have fun.

If you use Geocache Navigator you need the site to be up for it to get the cache details down, no PQ or loading up of waypoints (currently). But it would be bad planning to head out without a list of coords for the caches you're looking for since you can't rely on there being cell reception.

Althougth the site has speeded up, I did notice that when you click the fourm link it pretends to load the page for a few seconds and then just stays where it is as if it has sent you to the new page when it hasn't.

I was looking around to find if someone had already complained, but only found this.

Since Sunday's update the site has become sluggish. I have not changed anything with my ISP, so I believe it has something to do with the update. Almost all pages seem to load slower than before, most annoyingly, the gache descriptions!

I was looking around to find if someone had already complained, but only found this.

Since Sunday's update the site has become sluggish. I have not changed anything with my ISP, so I believe it has something to do with the update. Almost all pages seem to load slower than before, most annoyingly, the gache descriptions!

PS The forum does not like complaints :laughing:

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

It is mostly available.

Exactly, that's why 'bad planning' doesn't come into it :laughing:

I have responsibility for a number of live web sites - I wouldn't ever suggest that a customer was guilty of bad planning if they try to use the site when there's unplanned downtime :laughing:

My point is, if you know you are doing something in 2-4 days, plan ahead for your PQ's etc. Don't wait until the last minute. Why would anyone do that? It doesn't make sense.

If I know I'm going caching next weekend, I'll run PQ's on Mon, Tue, or Wed and get the data I need. I may then also run on Fri night or Sat morning for the most recent info if possible, but at least I have what I need.

Again, back to my 'bad planning' comment.

And I stand by my "boo hoo can't log" comment...wait and log later.

Exactly... I agree... Websites DO hit slowdowns and even crashes at times, and yes, sometimes they even are a result of upgrades, but so what? Does the fact that a site such as Groundspeak.com may be running slowly for a few hours, or even a few days, constitute an emergency? Not to me!

And I agree with Allanon about planning and forethought. My wife Sue knew all week that she would be doing an all-day caching road trip today to western and NW Maryland and parts of PA, and she downloaded caches and waypoints onto her PDA and GPSr days ago, and thus she did not have any problem with the website, nor with any potential site slowness, this morning when she awoke at 7 AM to get ready for her road trip.

Lastly, and yes, I know I sound cranky here, and so be it, but it always totally amazes me when people complain about a temporary slowdown or crash of a rather sophisticated website and service for which they are paying three dollars per month at most! Perhaps if they were paying 20 or 40 dollars per month, or sixty dollars per month, then they might have a right to complain about any glitches that last longer than an hour or two, but for three dollars or less per month, coupled with the fact that the site also supports hundreds of thousands of non-paying "free" members around the world, I can see nothing to complain about.

Uber lastly, if the folks who are complaining are really so upset with the occasional problems, then they might to seriously consider upgrading their membership to a Platinum membership (or beyond), because we Platinum members have a separate dedicated server, but then again, the Platinum membership fee is $29 per month, and some folks might not like that ('course, we get lots of other benefits and perks as well for that $29 per month fee....)