Tire Chains for Cottage Roads

tangerineman

I have a van outfitted with winter tires, but I want to do some cottage-country caches, and suspect I'll feel more confident if I have Tire Chains.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could purchase some?

Canadian Tire sometimes has a set or two (usually not in Toronto stores), but I've got one of those and they're not large enough for my tires.

I have used them years ago.. back before studded snow tires. They are not great.. hard to put on, and the problem is often one of clearance rather than traction. New cars are much lower. They also tend to come off and get lost in the snow or tangled . Then you are really in a spot. I have seen them spin off and damage the wheel wells as well. Keep you speed to below 30.

Edited by murfster

Many thanks for these helpful replies. Time ran out for getting any chains at all, and it turned out Sammy was really all we needed. Here's a shot of him having a good stretch after getting us up all those hills....down, further down...no, way down there, near the bottom of the photo....yep, there he is.

100_0988-1.jpg

This city kid had never even HEARD of most of these stores you guys recommended....I checked the TSC website however, and I'm telling you, any fellow urbanites, this place ROCKS....they've got cow bells, ear tags, and all sorts of other home decorating goodies. :) Check it out....I live, I learn

I still want to get a set of chains, though, as not having them means arriving at the cottage with poopy pants from the sheer terror of driving up 300 feet of a 45 degree ice-covered hill on the way in.

They're not road legal here either, but I'd happily stop and strap them on at the beginning of the cottage road, in fact, I'd probably go up more frequently, just having more confidence.

I've just heard that Princess Auto parts is in these parts, so I'll be checking them out.

Many thanks.