Oregon 200: 7 Questions

huwiki

I am considering purchasing an Oregon 200. I have searched and read the threads here, the wiki faq on the Oregon, and the Garmin Oregon manual pdf.

I've read the difference between the 200 and the 300 is the 200 doesn't have the electronic compass, altimeter, audio tones, wireless communication, NMEA serial communication, or alarm clock. And the 200 has the 24MB internal compared to the much larger of the 300 or 400 series.

I have a few remaining questions on the 200:

1. Is there tide info on the 200? If so, is it using the tidal charts from the map "GPSMAP 16/168 Tide Points" from the dowloaded "RecommendedMapSourceUSTidesSoftware.exe" file? Does it show the same info as in Mapsource using this map (Tide Prediction window)? Does it show the tidal graph?

2. With Topo 2008 loaded on to a 200 does the 3-D view work (using DEM I believe it's called)? Does it look as good as the 400T, or the 300 loaded with Topo 2008?

3. Is there shaded relief of terrain using the 2-D looking-straight-down-from-above view on the 200 (standard map view)?

4. For the gps compass (non electric compass that it doesn't have), how much do I need to be moving for it to give me a compass reading? Is walking 5-10 feet (2-4 steps) enough to get a useful reading? Is walking a fast enough rate of movement to get quick and useful readings? I understand the advantage of the electric compass is it works when you aren't moving, but if the gps compass works by just moving a short distance on foot then it's probably adequate. (I realize this has been covered a lot and people have differing opinions)

5. Even though there is no altimeter on the 200, does it have the "Elevation Plot" page using the gps readings (instead of altimeter readings)? If not, is there a way to review a track/route's elevation changes over time/distance (like the track profile, or vertical profile of routes on the 60csx)?

6. Using the altimeter as a barometer to predict the weather. Has anyone done this? Does it work well? Seems like it could be neat and fun if it worked.

7. For the sun/moon page, does it give the location of the sun/moon in the sky, or where it will rise on the horizon the way the 60csx does (like the "Celestial Information" window in Mapsource)? Does the 200 do the "animate moon phases" like the 60csx?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) The 200 supports tide stations if you have the appropriate maps loaded such as Topo2008, BlueCharts, etc. They would look just like they do on the 300/400. Screen shots here. http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=225

2) Yes it will work the same, but the function is next to useless IMO

3) Only if you have maps with built in DEM like Topo2008. I'm not sure if the 200 has a basemap with shaded relief (the 300 does) but either way the DEM on the basemaps has poor resolution -- you'll need something like Topo 2008 or 24k to give you "real" relief shading

4) You'll need to be walking 2-3mph for a few seconds to get a decent reading

5) That I don't know, I'd be curious to know myself!

6) It works in so far as you can use any barometer to predict weather changes. The barometer/altimeter on the 300/400's is pretty accurate.

7) You don't get the sky position but you can see the phase. I think you can select by day using the calendar to see the phase change, but no animation.

Hopefully I can help.

2. With Topo 2008 loaded on to a 200 does the 3-D view work (using DEM I believe it's called)? Does it look as good as the 400T, or the 300 loaded with Topo 2008?

Will work the same. This is a useless feature that may look cool to some.

3. Is there shaded relief of terrain using the 2-D looking-straight-down-from-above view on the 200 (standard map view)?

If you have topo (DEM) data loaded, yes. The 200 doesn't come with base DEM data.

4. For the gps compass (non electric compass that it doesn't have), how much do I need to be moving for it to give me a compass reading? Is walking 5-10 feet (2-4 steps) enough to get a useful reading? Is walking a fast enough rate of movement to get quick and useful readings? I understand the advantage of the electric compass is it works when you aren't moving, but if the gps compass works by just moving a short distance on foot then it's probably adequate. (I realize this has been covered a lot and people have differing opinions)

I've found that while walking slowly the 200 compass to be herky-jerky.

5. Even though there is no altimeter on the 200, does it have the "Elevation Plot" page using the gps readings (instead of altimeter readings)? If not, is there a way to review a track/route's elevation changes over time/distance (like the track profile, or vertical profile of routes on the 60csx)?

The 200 does have elevation plot, uses gps elevations. As you can imagine, it fluctuates wildly.

6. Using the altimeter as a barometer to predict the weather. Has anyone done this? Does it work well? Seems like it could be neat and fun if it worked.

I'm sure you know that the 200 doesn't have altimeter/barometer. Predicting weather using barometric pressure is simple. While stationary, if pressure is dropping expect poorer weather. If pressure is rising expect better weather. This is one reason I chose the 200...don't need altimeter/barometer.

7. For the sun/moon page, does it give the location of the sun/moon in the sky, or where it will rise on the horizon the way the 60csx does (like the "Celestial Information" window in Mapsource)? Does the 200 do the "animate moon phases" like the 60csx?

Answered above.

Matt

Edited by mattalbr

Thanks for the info!

Here's one more question:

With an Oregon 200 with Garmin Topo 2008 loaded so that there is DEM shading, can Topos from gpsfiledepot (New England, Southwest US, NJ, NY, etc.) be loaded and overlapped? I want to see the shading of the Garmin map and the topo detail of the gpsfiledepot maps at the same time.

Thanks!