Oregon 300 or 60Csx? Help plz!

Bcfly

I'm sure this one has been beaten to death a thousand times over but here goes anyway...I have never owned a GPS before but I planning on buying one shortly(within the next couple weeks). I am looking for a hand held that excels in the outdoors, mostly to be used for hiking and trying to find new fishing areas. Given where I live, I can expect to be in dense foliage/tree cover at least part of the time. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Oregon 300 or the 60Csx(or maybe 76Csx). I really want to buy the Oregon due to the screen resolution and touch screen features but have heard numerous times that the 60Csx outperforms it in regards to accuracy and sattelite acquisition(also heard that some of these issues may be solved with software upgrades), but I have a hard time committing to the 60Csx as i understand it has already been out for 4 years now, and I'd like to buy something more up to date(but not if it is inferior to the 60Csx). So if anyone has any useful info. or opinions to throw my way I'd appreciate it very much as I really don't know much of anything about GPS(expect that I want one :) )

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jesse

Sorry I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum, if any moderators see this please relocate to the GPS and technology forum, thx

Edited by Bcfly

Being that hiking is one of your planned uses, go 60CSX (or 76CSX). You will have a hard time finding a better unit. Don't let the touch screen of the Oregon fool you. It's a good pure geocaching unit because of the

paperless geocaching feature but overall it pales in comparison with the 60CSX.

Another option for you to consider is the Delorme PN-40. A pretty sweet unit for the money. Map wise it beats everything Garmin has, though I think the 60CSX still beats it hardware and interface wise.

I have used the 60CSx for years now, only complaint is that it does not charge the 2 AA batteries while plugged into external power. Other than that is is a great piece of equipment, very rugged (it has been dropped a 100 times) and very accurate in harsh environments. Be aware of the touch screen as sweaty fingers, bush and dust do not go well with it. You will need a screen protector. The 76 gets a bit big and the 60 has a great belt clip for hiking.

Edited by ianthomson

I just went through the same process you are going through now. I got my 60csx in December of 2008, and couldn't be happier with it. The one glitch is the basemap it comes with. It is pretty much useless, so expect to shell out some money for upgraded maps. Other than that, the unit works flawlessly, accurately and quickly. I've seen it in action against other units, and it blows them away for satellite aquisition and mapping. I've also seen it hit the ground several times, including bouncing off some rocks. Sure am glad I got the "tank". It takes what the trail can dish out!

I also looked at the Oregon models while I was shopping. They have some great features to offer. Not the least of which is paperless caching. You will appreciate the beauty of that within the first few days on the trail. One note: If you choose the 400t, you get the software with it. You will be buying some software, so it is wise to just go with a unit that has the software you want loaded on. Garmin is very good at guarding their software from multiple uses, so don't think you'll be able to just use a friends copy. I have no idea how durable these units are, but that touch screen seems a bit whimpy for what a geocacher puts a unit through. Time will tell how they fair in the real world. If you get one, let the rest of us know how you like it. For the times, they are a changin!

I'm sure this one has been beaten to death a thousand times over but here goes anyway...I have never owned a GPS before but I planning on buying one shortly(within the next couple weeks). I am looking for a hand held that excels in the outdoors, mostly to be used for hiking and trying to find new fishing areas. Given where I live, I can expect to be in dense foliage/tree cover at least part of the time. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Oregon 300 or the 60Csx(or maybe 76Csx). I really want to buy the Oregon due to the screen resolution and touch screen features but have heard numerous times that the 60Csx outperforms it in regards to accuracy and sattelite acquisition(also heard that some of these issues may be solved with software upgrades), but I have a hard time committing to the 60Csx as i understand it has already been out for 4 years now, and I'd like to buy something more up to date(but not if it is inferior to the 60Csx). So if anyone has any useful info. or opinions to throw my way I'd appreciate it very much as I really don't know much of anything about GPS(expect that I want one :) )

Jesse

Sorry I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum, if any moderators see this please relocate to the GPS and technology forum, thx

Amazon sales page for DeLorme PN-40

You're already looking at two good units, you might want to check out the DeLorme PN-40!! The PN-40 is super accurate, holds reception even in the roughest conditions (I am used to a 12' accuracy inside my house with the unit sitting on my desk). Read all the way down the description of the link I gave you, check out the maps you can suscribe to and then search the site for the Garmins you're thinking about, you can make an informed chioce yourself!

The PN-40 will auto-route right out of the box, has all the maps you'll need...no buying more maps UNLESS you want some of the AWESOME maps the map subscription offers ($30/year). The subscription allows for downloads of color aerial imagery, sat imagery, NOAA charts etc...NICE!!! The color aerial imagery is like having a plane fly over you as you travel, you get a bird's eyeview of everything in front of you in vivid color!

The routing is ready to be used as soon as you download the included maps (you'll be buying extra maps with ANY other unit if you want routing...maps usually cost between $100-$200 or more), caching is simple with the PN-40, just download directly from the cache page and go...and PAPERLESS CACHING...WOW! The cache page is loaded right onto the unit for reference in the fields!!

Garmins are great units, the 60CSx has been a proven leader, but the new kid in town seems more than capable of toppling that king!!

I have looked at the PN-40 and can honestly admit that I already would have ordered one except for one one glaring obstacle...I am in Canada and apparently DeLorme offer exactly zero in the way of topo maps for Canada, and these are the maps that I most want. I don't understand it, DeLorme is primarily a map company(as I understand things) and produces GPS units as a secondary function, so how can a company that is in the map business not offer maps outside the U.S.?? I understand that you can make your own maps for them but this is to be my first GPS and I have never done any map creating before(I want to be able to use this thing right out of the box). That is the deal breaker for me, otherwise I would already be waiting for a PN-40 to arrive in the mail, DeLorme really missed the boat there I.M.O. :laughing:

I have looked at the PN-40 and can honestly admit that I already would have ordered one except for one one glaring obstacle...I am in Canada and apparently DeLorme offer exactly zero in the way of topo maps for Canada, and these are the maps that I most want. I don't understand it, DeLorme is primarily a map company(as I understand things) and produces GPS units as a secondary function, so how can a company that is in the map business not offer maps outside the U.S.?? I understand that you can make your own maps for them but this is to be my first GPS and I have never done any map creating before(I want to be able to use this thing right out of the box). That is the deal breaker for me, otherwise I would already be waiting for a PN-40 to arrive in the mail, DeLorme really missed the boat there I.M.O. :laughing:

Oh, I am so sorry. So, when is the move?? :laughing::laughing:

I think the Xmap software allows for downloading maps outside the USA, but I could be mistaken. It is $100 more as I understood it (but I didn't look into it too much).

Hahah :laughing: I really like the look of the PN-40 but not quite willing to move and change citizenship for it...yet, if I am really underwhelmed by what the other companies have to offer then maybe I'll sttart house hunting south of the border(I hope the Oregons quirks aren't that bad though, I kinda like living in B.C. :laughing: ).

Thanks for the tip on this GPS unit. I had to go check this one out. What a box! I have put this unit on the wish list. Have to wait a while though, as I just got a new 60Csx in December. I'd love to go out with someone who has the PN40, so I could compare the units in action.

Thanks again. Kevin

Amazon sales page for DeLorme PN-40

You're already looking at two good units, you might want to check out the DeLorme PN-40!! The PN-40 is super accurate, holds reception even in the roughest conditions (I am used to a 12' accuracy inside my house with the unit sitting on my desk). Read all the way down the description of the link I gave you, check out the maps you can suscribe to and then search the site for the Garmins you're thinking about, you can make an informed chioce yourself!

The PN-40 will auto-route right out of the box, has all the maps you'll need...no buying more maps UNLESS you want some of the AWESOME maps the map subscription offers ($30/year). The subscription allows for downloads of color aerial imagery, sat imagery, NOAA charts etc...NICE!!! The color aerial imagery is like having a plane fly over you as you travel, you get a bird's eyeview of everything in front of you in vivid color!

The routing is ready to be used as soon as you download the included maps (you'll be buying extra maps with ANY other unit if you want routing...maps usually cost between $100-$200 or more), caching is simple with the PN-40, just download directly from the cache page and go...and PAPERLESS CACHING...WOW! The cache page is loaded right onto the unit for reference in the fields!!

Garmins are great units, the 60CSx has been a proven leader, but the new kid in town seems more than capable of toppling that king!!

Hahah :laughing: I really like the look of the PN-40 but not quite willing to move and change citizenship for it...yet, if I am really underwhelmed by what the other companies have to offer then maybe I'll sttart house hunting south of the border(I hope the Oregons quirks aren't that bad though, I kinda like living in B.C. :laughing: ).

I doubt you would be underwhelmed with the 60CSX. It is a very good GPS.

I really, really love my Oregon 300. There are a number of things about it I like over other GPS units I looked at, but one of them is that it has the best paperless geocaching out there. The 60CSx is a great unit and probably beats the Oregon in the all-around general use arena, but the paperless geocaching functions on the 60CSx require a little finagling. If you have GSAK this shouldn't be a huge problem and there are many threads on this board about how to do it, but even so paperless on the 60CSx still doesn't include as much information, as easy to manage, or as nicely presented as the Oregon does it.

There is a site where you can get some free maps for Canada: gpsfiledepot.com. I suggest you look there and see what they have. I recall seeing an Icybus (sp?) map for Canada but being from the States, I didn't look into it enough to give you a complete rundown. However, I've downloaded some free topos for my own area from this site and I like the look of them on the Oregon so far, so it may influence your decision to see what is available for your area on this site.

I haven't had any accuracy issues with my unit. I've noticed it actually gets me closer to the actual cache site than my previous units did and I have been trusting it with success when it says it's within 10 feet of ground zero. However, it's hard to make a full determination because we don't know how accurate a cache owner's gps unit is when placing the cache.

City navigation is pretty good on the Oregon. I've been pleased with it so far. It reroutes quickly if you miss a turn, and the maps are clear and colorful with a number of view settings to choose from, and plenty of directional information shown on the screen with the map. It doesn't talk to you, but there are enough unique beeps to warn you when turns need to be made, etc that it's helpful. The mapping is pretty good. In our area, it's missing one large highway, but since this highway just opened last Sept and I purchased the software at the end of Dec., I can't fault them for not having included it yet.

I had the same dilemma when deciding which unit to buy. I had also narrowed down my choices to these two units. I finally chose the Oregon simply because of the geocaching specific features. If geocaching wasn't my primary use, I'd have probably purchased the 60CSx. You need to look at your end use and go from there.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

Well, I have a 60CSx, and I'm very happy with it. I've heard that the Oregon series doesn't allow you to alter a waypoints coordinates from the field, which makes it very difficult for multi-caches, but it has paperless caching with all the descriptions, logs, and clues, built in.

You should be asking people what they DON'T like about their units.

Thanks for the tip on this GPS unit. I had to go check this one out. What a box! I have put this unit on the wish list. Have to wait a while though, as I just got a new 60Csx in December. I'd love to go out with someone who has the PN40, so I could compare the units in action.

Thanks again. Kevin

I received a PN-40 as a Valentines Day gift and I own a 60CSX. After a few days of use I'll post a comparison.

First impression is that for automotive navigation the 60CSX blows the Delorme away and the Delorme's mapping is miles ahead of Garmin's.

Thanks again. Kevin

I received a PN-40 as a Valentines Day gift and I own a 60CSX. After a few days of use I'll post a comparison.

First impression is that for automotive navigation the 60CSX blows the Delorme away and the Delorme's mapping is miles ahead of Garmin's.

I hope you like the new toy Briansnat!!

I have tested the routing a bit now, both where I know the way and where I don't! While the PN-40 sometimes tells me to turn onto a road I am already on, it still corrects (or maybe it thought I did make the turn or whatever) and I have no problems with finding the destinations! One time though, I did get a bit lost when the unit told me to turn onto a private road and then told me there was another road where one wasn't (should have simply thrown the Jeep into 4WD and "made a road" lol). So far, I am very happy with the routing (but have never had routing before, so nothing to compare it to). I love the updates, the improved features on the routing as really made caching fun. Route by road until you get there, click a button and now your hiking! Precise and accurate, I am really happy!

Maps, yes DeLorme has some really great mapping! I love my PN-40!

One thing I would like to see though, a way to separate my hidden caches from the list. I have a lot of hides and like to keep them on my GPS in case of trouble! I dislike having to sort through them to get to the list I want to find though! I guess I could make them all into waypoints, but for now, I just left them with the "treasure chect" icon and loaded a bunch of caches with the direct load method, giving them all new icons!

Well, I have a 60CSx, and I'm very happy with it. I've heard that the Oregon series doesn't allow you to alter a waypoints coordinates from the field, which makes it very difficult for multi-caches, but it has paperless caching with all the descriptions, logs, and clues, built in.

You should be asking people what they DON'T like about their units.

You can't alter a GEOCACHE'S coordinates from the field... but you can alter a waypoint. If I'm doing a multi, I leave the original geocache listing as-is and then just enter each subsequent stage by creating a new separate waypoint as I get each new set of coordinates. It isn't any more difficult to create 4 waypoints than it is to alter the same geocache coordinates 4 times. In fact, I'd guess it's a bit easier because you can mark the waypoint on the fly without having to go back and find the original cache page.

With the Oregon, I've had no problems whatsoever doing multi stage caches or puzzle caches requiring different locations than the posted coordinates.

I do agree with you, however, that its best to ask what people DON'T like, more than what they do like about a particular unit. Most people complain louder than they compliment <_< However, anyone asking for advice on these boards has to remember that different things bother different people. You have to take every comment with a grain of salt and know what your own needs are.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

I'm sure this one has been beaten to death a thousand times over but here goes anyway...I have never owned a GPS before but I planning on buying one shortly(within the next couple weeks). I am looking for a hand held that excels in the outdoors, mostly to be used for hiking and trying to find new fishing areas. Given where I live, I can expect to be in dense foliage/tree cover at least part of the time. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Oregon 300 or the 60Csx(or maybe 76Csx). I really want to buy the Oregon due to the screen resolution and touch screen features but have heard numerous times that the 60Csx outperforms it in regards to accuracy and sattelite acquisition(also heard that some of these issues may be solved with software upgrades), but I have a hard time committing to the 60Csx as i understand it has already been out for 4 years now, and I'd like to buy something more up to date(but not if it is inferior to the 60Csx). So if anyone has any useful info. or opinions to throw my way I'd appreciate it very much as I really don't know much of anything about GPS(expect that I want one :( )

Jesse

The Oregon series is a superior GPS to the 60CSx in every regard, it is the clear hands down winner, I own both.

You are exactly right, the 60 Series is dated and the people who yell loudest about the 60CSx are people who cannot afford an Oregon, I have not used my 60 since the summer, no point.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get the Oregon, you won't regret it at all.

I expect a lot of posts from the people who own a 60CSx, they are a pretty vocal group and insist that the GPS they own is the only GPS anyone should buy.

I purchased an Oregon 400t and have been extremely happy with it, I never had any complaints about my 60 but I don't imagine for a moment that they are in the same class, the Oregon is simply superior in every regard.

This post may be deleted or modified by a moderator who wants you to buy a 60CSx. <_<

You are exactly right, the 60 Series is dated and the people who yell loudest about the 60CSx are people who cannot afford an Oregon,

This isn't exactly quite right. I bought the GPSMAP 60Cx because I already have an iPod Touch that I do paperless caching with. Rather than spending the mad cheddar on the Oregon, I opted for the 60Cx. It's a great unit and I love it! It was my second unit though and it is pretty hardcore for ability and technical usability. The Oregon might be (is probably) a better choice for the first time user. But the thing that dissuaded me from it was actually these forums and reports about the dim screen and worse accuracy reports than the GPSMAP 60 series. So, as like anything else in life, you need to determine what your key uses will be and make your decision from there. <_<

I'm sure this one has been beaten to death a thousand times over but here goes anyway...I have never owned a GPS before but I planning on buying one shortly(within the next couple weeks). I am looking for a hand held that excels in the outdoors, mostly to be used for hiking and trying to find new fishing areas. Given where I live, I can expect to be in dense foliage/tree cover at least part of the time. I have more or less narrowed it down to the Oregon 300 or the 60Csx(or maybe 76Csx). I really want to buy the Oregon due to the screen resolution and touch screen features but have heard numerous times that the 60Csx outperforms it in regards to accuracy and sattelite acquisition(also heard that some of these issues may be solved with software upgrades), but I have a hard time committing to the 60Csx as i understand it has already been out for 4 years now, and I'd like to buy something more up to date(but not if it is inferior to the 60Csx). So if anyone has any useful info. or opinions to throw my way I'd appreciate it very much as I really don't know much of anything about GPS(expect that I want one :( )

Jesse

The Oregon series is a superior GPS to the 60CSx in every regard, it is the clear hands down winner, I own both.

You are exactly right, the 60 Series is dated and the people who yell loudest about the 60CSx are people who cannot afford an Oregon, I have not used my 60 since the summer, no point.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get the Oregon, you won't regret it at all.

I expect a lot of posts from the people who own a 60CSx, they are a pretty vocal group and insist that the GPS they own is the only GPS anyone should buy.

I purchased an Oregon 400t and have been extremely happy with it, I never had any complaints about my 60 but I don't imagine for a moment that they are in the same class, the Oregon is simply superior in every regard.

This post may be deleted or modified by a moderator who wants you to buy a 60CSx. <_<

Be advised that Wavector is referring to a 60C when he talks about the unit he owns. There is a VAST difference between the 60CSX and the 60C. I have a older 60 and it too sits on my shelf. My 60 has sat there unused for over 2 years because the 60CSX blows it away. There is no comparison between the two.

As far as 60CSX users insisting that the 60CSX is the only GPS that anybody should by, that is nonsense. Look at my posts here and in other threads. I try to tailor my recommendations to the person's planned uses and budgets and have recommended many other Garmin units and units from other manufactures as well.

The OP was looking for a unit for mostly for hiking and I stand by my recommendation of the 60CSX. If he was looking for a unit strictly for geocaching the Oregon would be among the units that I would recommend.

BTW, if you want a unit that blows the Oregon away as a geocaching unit, and costs half of what the Oregon costs, look at the Delorme PN 40

Edited by briansnat

Thanks everyone for the input/advice, not sure if this has made my decision any easier but you can never have too much info. I have another question for Wavector (or anyone else who can answer), does the Oregon show all topo maps in 3-D or just Topo USA?? I will probably never use Topo USA, so I just want to make sure that if I get the Oregon that I'll be able to get the most from it(I already have Topo Canada on my PC, borrowed it from a friend and installed it last night). Thx again for the replies, feel free to keep the opinions and factual info. coming, I'm still listening and undecided. I should add to my initial post that I don't have any inclination towards geocaching(at least not yet, I have never tried though I suspect my kids would enjoy it), so geocaching ability is really not a factor in my purchase.

Thanks everyone for the input/advice, not sure if this has made my decision any easier but you can never have too much info. I have another question for Wavector (or anyone else who can answer), does the Oregon show all topo maps in 3-D or just Topo USA?? I will probably never use Topo USA, so I just want to make sure that if I get the Oregon that I'll be able to get the most from it(I already have Topo Canada on my PC, borrowed it from a friend and installed it last night). Thx again for the replies, feel free to keep the opinions and factual info. coming, I'm still listening and undecided. I should add to my initial post that I don't have any inclination towards geocaching(at least not yet, I have never tried though I suspect my kids would enjoy it), so geocaching ability is really not a factor in my purchase.

I've been using GPS for about 8 years now and have owned a number of units. I currently own a Garmin Geko 201, Garmin eTrex Vista, Magellan Meridian Gold, Garmin 60CS, Garmin 60CSX and Delorme PN 40 (this doesn't include my automotive GPS units). I previously owned a Garmin Legend and had the extended use of a Lowrance iFinder H20 and Lowrance Go2 (They were sent to me by Lowrance so I could review them for a geocaching magazine). I've also used a Garmin Oregon and eTrex Vista HCX for a brief period (A Garmin rep let me play with them at an event).

If your chief use is hiking I think the 60CSX or Vista HCX would be the best choice. The Oregon has a nifty touch screen interface and the paperless geocaching feature is nice, but it is lacking in so many ways when compared to the 60CSX.

I understand your fear that the 60CSX may be a bit "long in the tooth" as GPS units go, but I've yet to encounter one that has better reception and as full an array of features useful for hikers. The Oregon is not an upgrade to the 60CSX. It was built from the bottom up and is completely different, made chiefly with geocaching and Wherigo in mind.

I use my 60CSX for geocaching, but I also use it extensively for hiking and trail work. I build hiking trails and use my 60CSX for trail design as well as creating tracks used for published maps.

The next generation of 60CSX will probably include better maps to compete with the Delorme units and the soon to be released Lowrance Sierra, but that is a ways off. Right now there is no better all around GPS unit than the 60CSX, especially when your primary use will be hiking. The eTrex Vista HCX is a close second and I'd put the Delorme PN-40 at a distant third. The Oregon? If you are heavily into geocaching and/or Wherigo it certainly should be considered.

Edited by briansnat

I would recommend a visit to a sales location that lets you see and handle both units. That will make your decision very easy. :(

I actually have both units so I can tell you that the Oregon is simply the superior GPS and this is apparent when you have them both side by side. My advice to purchase the Oregon comes from actual experience rather than hearsay.

I use my Oregon for driving and geocaching. I have City Navigator loaded and the base map is the US Topo but I do not have any other topo loaded so offhand I cannot answer your question, if the DEM data is available then I would guess that it is viewable, I would be guessing though.

I am not guessing when I tell you that the Oregon is superior in every way to the old 60 Series GPS units, regardless of any additional letters tacked on to the name. The difference is very apparent when you see and handle these units.

One of the nicest features of the Oregon is loading and using multiple map sets at the same time (overlaying), this is not possible on the 60 Series. Another nice advantage is the absence of buttons, fixing a button is very expensive on the 60 Series and some buttons get a lot of use. The 60 Series will force you to use a few buttons so much that they will actually wear clean, they become blank buttons after a while. My 60 Series On/Off button failed, over $200 to fix so I am very glad to get rid of the buttons!!

I like the screen size on the Oregon and I have never had a problem reading the screen, I do keep the backlight on full all the time. The Oregon performs well down to -35C (actual experience talking here) and it is much more compact than the 60 Series.

My Oregon has never failed to impress me with it's capabilities. I never had any problems with my 60 Series, they are a fine unit and could also serve you well. Suggesting that these units are comparable is like comparing apples (Oregon) to bushberries (60 Series), they do not compare, the Oregon is simply superior in every regard.

Now a site moderator is going to make a big list of things that you could do with your 60 Series that you don't need to do with an Oregon. Prepare yourself to hear how you could load every geocache in the world as a POI if you just had enough SD cards, how handy is that? <_<

Did you buy a 60CSX recently?

Wow, US Geocacher of the Year so many times, who won in the years that you were not chosen?

Do you get a cash award for being the US Geocacher of the Year?

You have been selected 4 times for US Geocacher of the Year and geocaching is only about 9 years old altogether, that is very impresssive briansnat, you must be very very proud of yourself and your accomplishments. <_<

With your knowledge and experience I decided to post a picture of my GPS and let you tell everyone which one it is, I am sure everyone will be very excited to watch you at work!!!!!!!!

:(

Here it is -

Garmin60.jpg

Wow, US Geocacher of the Year so many times, who won in the years that you were not chosen?

You have been selected 4 times for US Geocacher of the Year and geocaching is only about 9 years old altogether, that is very impresssive briansnat, you must be very very proud of yourself and your accomplishments. <_<

With your knowledge and experience I decided to post a picture of my GPS and let you tell everyone which one it is, I am sure everyone will be very excited to watch you at work!!!!!!!!

:(:D:D

Wow!! Might be time to switch to the decaf, y'think? You could have just said, "Yes", couldn't you? :D

:(:D:D

Wow!! Might be time to switch to the decaf, y'think? You could have just said, "Yes", couldn't you? :laughing:

Do you know the answer to the questions? :D

I am thinking that if there is a big cash award which goes with the honour of the title then it might be a great thing to get going in other countries.

If there is a cash award of $100,000 for being the US Geocacher of the Year then briansnat has earned almost half a million dollars hunting tupperware.

This is very impressive, don't you think, a half million dollars for finding tupperware in the woods!!!!!

:D:D:D

Wow!! Might be time to switch to the decaf, y'think? You could have just said, "Yes", couldn't you? :laughing:

I agree, that was a bit callous! For those of us not as knowledged as Brian (as you so bluntly acknowlwdged him to be...CONGRATS Brian, btw), what was the answer? :(

If your chief use is hiking I think the 60CSX or Vista HCX would be the best choice. The Oregon has a nifty touch screen interface and the paperless geocaching feature is nice, but it is lacking in so many ways when compared to the 60CSX.

The original Vista is the only GPS I've ever owned (since 2001) so I can't compare it to anything else. If the Vista HCX has a much better antenna than the original, it might be a good choice. But if it doesn't - don't get the Vista for hiking in BC. I live near Seattle and the Vista just doesn't lock onto satellites worth a darn under tree cover or in deep ravines or even in the wide open if the satellites are all out of the bullseye.

The 60CSX is my dream based on all the comments I've heard to date about it's ability to find and lock onto satellites compared to other units. I'm just too cheap to upgrade since the Vista is a pretty good model otherwise. And when it dies, I can send it back to Garmin and for $89 get a refurbished replacement with all my waypoints pre-loaded. So far I haven't talked myself into springing for the extra $300 or so to upgrade.

The original Vista is the only GPS I've ever owned (since 2001) so I can't compare it to anything else. If the Vista HCX has a much better antenna than the original, it might be a good choice. But if it doesn't - don't get the Vista for hiking in BC. I live near Seattle and the Vista just doesn't lock onto satellites worth a darn under tree cover or in deep ravines or even in the wide open if the satellites are all out of the bullseye.

The 60CSX is my dream based on all the comments I've heard to date about it's ability to find and lock onto satellites compared to other units. I'm just too cheap to upgrade since the Vista is a pretty good model otherwise. And when it dies, I can send it back to Garmin and for $89 get a refurbished replacement with all my waypoints pre-loaded. So far I haven't talked myself into springing for the extra $300 or so to upgrade.

What about for a $160 upgrade?? Keep a watch on the amazon site for the 60CSx, they often run a sale for $160, but very spotty and often only lasting minutes or hours!! A lot of people have reported getting the deal!!

What about for a $160 upgrade?? Keep a watch on the amazon site for the 60CSx, they often run a sale for $160, but very spotty and often only lasting minutes or hours!! A lot of people have reported getting the deal!!

The plastic would be out pretty quick if I ever ran across a deal like that. Thanks. I'll try to keep an eye out.

The Vista HCX has a high sensitivity receiver, along with expandable map memory, which together with other improvements make it a vastly different and better GPS than the old eTrex Vista. Very much the same way that a Map 60CSX is far better than Wavector's Map 60. They may look similar and the user interfaces may be similar but that's where the similarities end.