Yep, I'm a geek

aubigdog

Ok, I just had to share my latest caching experience. Here is the story that took place 30 mins ago:

My wife and son and I are headed to our house on Lake Martin from our home in Mobile, AL. With my wife driving, I was watching my GPS for potential caches. I realized that I had not put any new ones in that were close to our route, so I had to fix that. So....I pulled out my mac, connected it to my blackberry using bluetooth, then hopped on the internet and logged into geocaching.com and searched for some caches along the way. I found a few promising ones, so I pulled out my USB cable, connected my mac to my Oregon and sent the caches to the Oregon. 5 miles later, we exited I-65, quickly found the skirtlifter (my first) signed the log and headed back on our way. So, I hooked my mac and BB and GPS all back up together, logged in and posted the log to my account and now I am typing this on the forum. hehehe.

What a great way to make a routine 3hour drive a little more exciting. I just had to share it knowing that there are some other techno folks that would appreciate this.

Here is the link to the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-5188cb0bfd58

Edited by aubigdog

With my wife driving... other techno folks that would appreciate this more if YOU were driving and doing all that at the same time!!

And if HE were doing that, some of our LEO members would probably be seeking HIM for a FTF...

Keep up the SAFE caching... like the geek approach... me I'm old school, like things the HARD way.

to a point...

Doug

me I'm old school, like things the HARD way.

You geocache using a sextant and a chronometer? Wow, that's hardcore!

Sextant and chronometer? Meh, all that newfangled things won't get you anywhere. I geocache with a dowsing stick.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about how much easier this would all be with an iPhone :) But it's nowhere near as geeky, of course.

With my wife driving... other techno folks that would appreciate this more if YOU were driving and doing all that at the same time!!

Yes, remember that

Gadgets distract, concentrate to live!

This is a phrase we are currently using in the Todie's Wild Ride thread (a thread about bike awareness and safe driving).

However, I am a bit concerned about the wife driving thing :D

Depending on the laws in his state he it may be illegal to so. New Mexico has just passed a ban on texting while driving. Although I'm not sure if a computer hooked up to a blackberry would qualify as texting while driving. After all these new laws have a lot of loop holes. For example updating your cell phones phone book is just like texting but isn't typically considered texting by cell phone users.

I also just got me a new toy. I got a new netbook with MS S&T 2009. It makes urban caching much better. I can also connect my palm pilot and GPSR so I can update caches. I don't have the mobile broadband but I can just hit a wifi hotspot and get what I need.

Yes technology is making this hobby interesting in more ways all the time.

Ok, I just had to share my latest caching experience. Here is the story that took place 30 mins ago:

My wife and son and I are headed to our house on Lake Martin from our home in Mobile, AL. With my wife driving, I was watching my GPS for potential caches. I realized that I had not put any new ones in that were close to our route, so I had to fix that. So....I pulled out my mac, connected it to my blackberry using bluetooth, then hopped on the internet and logged into geocaching.com and searched for some caches along the way. I found a few promising ones, so I pulled out my USB cable, connected my mac to my Oregon and sent the caches to the Oregon. 5 miles later, we exited I-65, quickly found the skirtlifter (my first) signed the log and headed back on our way. So, I hooked my mac and BB and GPS all back up together, logged in and posted the log to my account and now I am typing this on the forum. hehehe.

All those devices and cables... so old-school!

I whup out my CrackBerry (Blackberry Curve) and use CacheBerry or Geocache Navigator software to find and read about caches near me, navigate to them with compass or turn-by-turn mapping, look at the area with Google Earth if I want, find the cache and log my find online.

Phone, PDA, laptop, internet, GPS in one pocket-sized device. You gotta stay ahead of the curve!

If you haven't already, come join us Alabama cachers at www.dixiecachers.com.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

All those devices and cables... so old-school!

I whup out my CrackBerry (Blackberry Curve) and use CacheBerry or Geocache Navigator software to find and read about caches near me, navigate to them with compass or turn-by-turn mapping, look at the area with Google Earth if I want, find the cache and log my find online.

Phone, laptop, internet, GPS in one pocket-sized device. You gotta stay ahead of the curve!

If you haven't already, come join us Alabama cachers at www.dixiecachers.com.

Frankly, I must confess that all these modern electronical gizmos and technologies such as Blackberry, Raspberry, Dangle, Dongle, Dingleberry, Web 2.0, Bluetooth, USB, BB, Twitter, Jaiku, BriteKite, Facebook, Google Earth, Curve, CacheBerry, Iphone and etcetera -- that is, if they even exist at all and are not the product of someone's fevered over-active imagination -- totally confuse me and scare me, and somehow the sudden appearance of all of them strongly reeks of Satanic influences. At the very least, the sudden appearance and proliferation of these devices and technologies is mighty suspicious; it is as if an occult hand had reached down from above and introduced these devices into the cultural mainstream with no warning and with little sensibility.

Semi-Geek here...

We're on vacation from St. Louis to St. Pete Beach Florida and I'm surfing the Geocach forum before I crash for the night...

My wife wants to sleep in in the morning, daughter wants me to take her to the beach while wifey sleeps in, I want to go see if I can log a few "Finds"...

I guess I'll make the ladies happy and check out the beach in the morn and see if I can check out some caches in the late afternoon...

What a great way to make a routine 3hour drive a little more exciting. I just had to share it knowing that there are some other techno folks that would appreciate this.

Here is the link to the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-5188cb0bfd58

That might be a good story for the geocaching magazine. There's a thread around here somewhere