Closed Thread

My first posting on these forums in god knows how long resulted in it being closed because there is a pinned thread which is millions of pages long (please excuse slight exaggeration!).

I posted here about something monumentus - our No 1 UK cacher hit a milestone - the first UK cacher to hit 7000. It really doesn't deserve to be lost amongst a load of other congratulatory posts, albeit they have their worthiness too.

Please folks feel free to come and post your congratulatory postings on the SE regional forums and I think I can also speak for the NW forums too :) You can also post off-topic stuff and your fundraising threads too.

MTN-Man ... please dont bother to respond to me - I won't be reading it - just close this one too but please don't delete it - let everyone see how really petty the people regulating these forums have become - happy caching :laughing:

Edited to correct grammatical errors - don't want to get slamdunked for that an ' all ;-)

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

My first posting on these forums in god knows how long resulted in it being closed because there is a pinned thread which is millions of pages long (please excuse slight exaggeration!).

I posted here about something monumentus - our No 1 UK cacher hit a milestone - the first UK cacher to hit 7000. It really doesn't deserve to be lost amongst a load of other congratulatory posts, albeit they have their worthiness too.

Please folks feel free to come and post your congratulatory postings on the SE regional forums and I think I can also speak for the NW forums too :) You can also post off-topic stuff and your fundraising threads too.

MTN-Man ... please dont bother to respond to me - I won't be reading it - just close this one too but please don't delete it - let everyone see how really petty the people regulating these forums have become - happy caching :laughing:

Edited to correct grammatical errors - don't want to get slamdunked for that an ' all ;-)

Considering all the drivel and tripe that mtm-man has put up with from some quarters around these forums, I think he has done very well. Perhaps he could have left it running, but why? It's not the petty regulating or moderating that have dragged this UK Forum down, it's the displays of Petulance from people who can't have their own way.

Just by way of a reminder, the Congrats thread was set up by Lactodorum with the following opening statement. So all mtn-man has done is follow the lead of a former Mod who is still a respected member of the UK community...

I'm pinning this topic at the top of the forums as a place where you can express your congratulations to anyone and everyone when they achieve a significan geocaching milestone. It is meant to replace the numerous "Congrats" threads that appear from time to time in the UK forum.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

So.......congratulate on :laughing:

If it was good enough to be UK Forum policy then, why not now?

The saying about 'What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander' comes to mind.

Fully agree with Caregang. Some like Congrats threads - some don't. Those that do know where to find them in the pinned topic; those that don't can avoid having to read that X has found their 23rd cache.

It's also a pity to see that after some months of peace and quiet under Mtn Man and Miss Jenn, the 'Out of pram toy throwers' seem to be reappearing.

I think I will add some facts here...

The last congratulatory topic in the SE Forums was in November of 2007, almost a year and a half ago. There is no pinned topic in the SE Forums. Most people there use regional forums off site from GC.com. It isn't because of any bitterness, it just happened that way a long time ago. I know in GA we have had our own forums since 2002. We have a topic there for this, many many pages long, and not pinned. There are a few topics peppered in the SE Forums here and there, but they are infrequent at best. The last one can be found on page 7.

The NW Forums has a congratulatory topic that has been running since 2004. It is not pinned. There are some really high milestone cachers up there. I saw no other congratulatory posts in that forum.

Please post a link to any fund raising topic in either forum posted within the last 12 months. Some facts regarding this to back up your statement would be appreciated. I would actually like to see you point out any that have been posted. I went back a year and found nothing. I wonder how far you would have to go back to find any fun raising topic that was left open.

I think I will add some facts here...

Odd definition of the word "facts" if you ask me

The last congratulatory topic in the SE Forums was in November of 2007, almost a year and a half ago.

Let me see... the last congratulatory topic in the SE Forums was a mere two days since.

For some reason you seem to have linked to some American forums in your post.

Many people who have read this forum for a few years will know that I'm no fan of congrats threads but the UK #1 hitting an x000 seems worthy to me.

New UK Number 1

3000th 4 DrSolly

Just thought I would point these two threads out :) There are probably others. Forum regulating inconsistencies?

Please don't accuse me of throwing my toys out of the pram because I protest about unjust regulating. I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. I'm pleased you have enjoyed months of peace and quiet but I suspect that's more down to the fact that so many of us have taken our voices elsewhere. Unfortunately, now and then I feel obliged as an active cacher, event setter and regional forum admin to pop back and see if there is anything of interest going on here. Fortunately it doesn't take me long to have a quick peek at the tumbleweed blowing through. :laughing:

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

I think that you will find that The Cache Hoppers were referring to SE & NW forums in the UK

I was indeed ... thank you Clotguy :laughing:

The correct forum links are in my signature line :):laughing:

Sorry, but you were not specific. We are posting in these forums, so it would seem to make sense to me that you were talking about these forums. In the future, be specific and provide links like I did. Thank you clotguy for specifying and to rutson for posting a link to the off site forum he was talking about.

New UK Number 1

3000th 4 DrSolly

Just thought I would point these two threads out :laughing: There are probably others. Forum regulating inconsistencies?

Please don't accuse me of throwing my toys out of the pram because I protest about unjust regulating. I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. I'm pleased you have enjoyed months of peace and quiet but I suspect that's more down to the fact that so many of us have taken our voices elsewhere. Unfortunately, now and then I feel obliged as an active cacher, event setter and regional forum admin to pop back and see if there is anything of interest going on here. Fortunately it doesn't take me long to have a quick peek at the tumbleweed blowing through. :laughing:

I did go ahead and move all of the congratulatory post from this topic to the "New UK Number 1" topic. I will leave that one open since it was left open before. Maybe it is time to un-pin the congratulatory topic? We are not perfect nor do we claim to be. The sad truth is that we almost have to be because people are very quick to point fingers at you, as you have with this topic. This UK Forum seems to really be a tough one, and it is no wonder no one wants to moderate it. Any moderator decision is quickly questioned, and accusation and martyrdom seem to be a tool for some people. It is what it is.

'mtn-man' == REALLY ?? == Volunteer cache reviewer since 1891 -- I know you write like an old phart .. but are you REALLY over 118 years old ???

Ah, a personal attack. Nice. My signature line is *comedy*. It has been discussed in these UK forums for what it is -- funny. If you have no sense of humor or don't get it, sorry for that. This web site has only been around since 2000, so it would be impossible for me to have reviewed caches before 2000. I think that most people get that. Sorry that you don't. Still, I don't appreciate the name calling. Too bad some resort to that.

Sorry, but you were not specific. We are posting in these forums, so it would seem to make sense to me that you were talking about these forums.

Check back - links were posted - signature line - always there, just like yours! These are the UK Forums - why on earth would anyone be posting a link to regional forums in the US - good grief!!! Hang my head in despair, but only briefly - I can hardly control my laughter!!!

In the future, be specific and provide links like I did.

Well get you! :) If you are into issuing directives, here is one for you ... "Get off your high horse and take a reality check!"

Ooh ooh - my post's been deleted...?? :)

Was it the pedantic grammer corrections?

Or the link to the still open congrats thread on the main forum that did it?

Edited to add - aaahhhh, I see, it appears that any posting with the word congrats in it has gone.

Edited by keehotee
In the future, be specific and provide links like I did.

Well get you! :) If you are into issuing directives, here is one for you ... "Get off your high horse and take a reality check!"

Another personal attack by another person in this topic. I'll choose not to stoop to that level.

Ooh ooh - my post's been deleted...?? :laughing:

Was it the pedantic grammer corrections?

Or the link to the still open congrats thread on the main forum that did it?

Edited to add - aaahhhh, I see, it appears that any posting with the word congrats in it has gone.

No, not deleted or gone, moved as I said...
I did go ahead and move all of the congratulatory post from this topic to the "New UK Number 1" topic. I will leave that one open since it was left open before.

This UK Forum seems to really be a tough one, and it is no wonder no one wants to moderate it.

How do you mean? Can I apply? I'd make a good job of it :laughing:

Sure. I'll make you an appointment for your frontal lobotomy. It did wonders for me. It did wonders for me. It did wond... hey, something shiny! :laughing:

The pinned congr@ulations thread was always optional. I personally dislike it. There are lots of people that don't like it. There were occasions when congr@ulations threads filled up the first page of this forum, but that was only when some people played silly beggars and bumped every thread they could find.

The pinned congr@s thread was never ever mandatory - at least not til now anyway.

(EDIT to add the word "pinned", twice)

Edited by Stuey